NYC Election Day

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Bloomberg vs. Thompson has been a heated contest, but what will today tell us about the next four years? Bob Hardt, executive producer and political director for NY1, offers election day analysis as New Yorkers go to the polls.

Bob Hardt

Voter from Brooklyn

I not sure if your comment was tongue in cheek hjs, but with every candidate for public office being bullied into using labor shops (Teamsters/Amalgamated Lithographers) for all of their printing needs and displaying the locals’ logo for free, Bloomberg should at least be getting the labor vote for his millions in advertising and glut of fliers.
(By bullied, I mean there are probably local shops or freelancers that may not be union, but are small businesses all the same and could use some support but won’t get it.)

Nov. 03 2009 12:03 PM
hjs from 11211

bloomberg's spending (print and tv ads)of 84 million, is helpfull to our local economy

Nov. 03 2009 11:53 AM
Ann from nyc

If you still think you want to vote for the Bloomberg, try reading this first... it covers many reasons, beside the term limits manipulation, that might help you recall what side you're on:

or if you need a shorter url, try this tiny url:

(an oddly fortuitous (?) anagram) :-)

ann

Nov. 03 2009 11:49 AM
Ryan from Fort Greene

On Sunday (while watching Bloomberg ride through the marathon route in his motorcade while 40,000 ran the 26 miles) I decided to vote for Reverend Billy. He best captures my sentiments and dissatisfaction towards Bloomberg's overthrow of term limits and over-zealous re-zoning in the city. While it might be a throw away vote, I greatly admire his passion and respect the fact his campaign is truly grass-roots (opposed to the mayor's $100 million self-financed media blitz). Furthermore, I hope that my vote will strengthen all third party candidates in future local and state elections. Watch out New York state senate!

Nov. 03 2009 11:35 AM
Merle Kaufman from United States

Everyone seems to be forgetting that Bloomberg recently said that HE was going to be replacing all his Chiefs and Dept. Heads, even if they were doing a great job. Why? Just because. To shake things up. Who believes anything he promises now, when we've already had 8 years of what he HAS done with zoning and luxury development?

Nov. 03 2009 11:33 AM
Irving

The Bayside Council contest between Kim and Halloran is not simply about paganism. Halloran's ads and rhetoric are very much about fear mongering and xenophobia.

Nov. 03 2009 11:31 AM
Peter from Washington Heights

Thank you for revisiting the Halloran, City Council candidate, issue and rejecting the use anti-Paganism in the race.

Nov. 03 2009 11:30 AM
Robert from NYC

If Bloomberg were to die you would have to replace him. No one is irreplaceable or at least we should not live with that belief. Dumb!

Nov. 03 2009 11:26 AM
Carl from East Village

I would have loved to vote for a Democrat but Bloomberg is somewhat ironically better for freelancers, bicyclist (I am both), and he has actually been very good for the environment.

Nov. 03 2009 11:26 AM
Robert from NYC

BravaSuzie

Nov. 03 2009 11:25 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

#12. As Alexander Hamilton said: Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
When I voted Thompson in the primaries—primarily on his long record of support for the LGBT community—I really wanted to vote for him today. I like Bloomberg, all things considered, but change could be good. However, with Thompson not taking a position on anything but term limits (a non-issue for me) and class baiting (always desperate and filthy status quo politics as usual) , a Thompson term will be a disaster for New York City. What does he stand for? What will he do, if mayor? Who’s pocket is he in? What is his vision for the City? No one knows, not even Bill Thompson.

Nov. 03 2009 11:25 AM
Robert from NYC

She likes Ray Kelly?!! Blech!

Nov. 03 2009 11:25 AM
sm

Yes yes yes I agree with the recent caller! Think of how many people could have visited their physician for 100 million instead of having to ditch the Bloomberg flyers every 2 days. It was overkill indeed.

I actually agree with Bloomberg with a few of his actions, but his negative qualities outweigh any positive ones. Normally I would vote for the Democratic opponent but I can't bring myself to vote for Thompson.

Anyone remember that South Park Episode? I feel like these are my major mayoral choices this year. My vote will be going to a fringe candidate. Why should I be limited to two dismal choices?

Nov. 03 2009 11:24 AM
RLewis from bowery

If you didn't decide until the last 3 days who to vote for, do you really deserve to have the rest of us listen to your opinion? If you can make a decision by now, I don't want to hear it.

Nov. 03 2009 11:22 AM
JK from Midtown

i am voting for thompson after work today because i believe in democracy. the guy we have in office right now obviously only believes in democracy when it serves him best.

Nov. 03 2009 11:19 AM
Alex. B. from Park Slope

Doesn't the rabid angry anti-term limit crowd realize that by voting against Bloomberg, they are making my point exactly that they can still vote against the incumbent?
Furthermore, I like the incumbent and YOU are infringing on my rights by fixing the elections and deliberately taking away my choice.
Term limits? Might be unconstitutional on these grounds?

Nov. 03 2009 11:17 AM
David Ghitelman from Boerum Hill, Brooklyn

I decided on Sunday morning to vote for Thompson. Then my wife asked me why. I said it was because I was so angry at the way Bloomberg was buying the election by scaring away competition and by overspending on the campaign. So my wife asked me if I had any reason to believe Thompson would make a better mayor than Bloomberg. I said no. Therefore, I will vote for Bloomberg this evening.
Yours,
David

Nov. 03 2009 11:16 AM
David Ghitelman from Boerum Hill, Brooklyn

Yours,
David
718-812-3031

Nov. 03 2009 11:16 AM
Sara from Bushwick

After reading the election guide (always look forward to that for some laughs), I had decided to vote for the reverend Billy; but Bloomberg's hubris seems to have only been amplifying over the past few weeks, and Thompson has my vote. By the way, did anyone else see a Bloomberg ad online this morning showing a guy who looks alot like Thompson holding a Bloomberg for Mayor sign?

Nov. 03 2009 11:16 AM
tom from qns

Your 30 issues helped cement my decision. I never realized, although I suspected it, that Bloomberg is so pro development. I sell art in Union Sq. and EVERYONE dislikes what is happening to our city architecturally. If only the mayor was one of those rich pro-preservation types. SO MUCH HISTORY IS BEING LOST IN ALL THE BOROUGHS! It is tragic.

Nov. 03 2009 11:14 AM
Troy from UWS

I decided over the weekend to vote for Thompson. I'm really disappointed that he didn't come out with ANYTHING policy or idea wise, but I can't can't vote for Bloomberg. Too many memories of walking around Manhattan before the economic collapse and seeing buildings replaced by horrible looking glass condos. The city's going to be unrecognizable if he gets his way.

Nov. 03 2009 11:13 AM
anonyme

I am remembering some person talking - maybe on this show - saying we have to hold our noses as we walk into the voting booth - I definitely have this feeling about the mayor this year - don't like Mike any more but need someone that powerful to keep our water clean (drilling shales for natural gas will ruin our famously fab water supply - I don't see Thompson standing up to anybody and winning)

I am bothering myself to vote because I love my council person, Jessica Lappin, who deserves my vote today.

Nov. 03 2009 11:12 AM
TW3 from nyc

Brian,
Just weighing in.
I voted for Thompson.

Nov. 03 2009 11:09 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

#5, I don’t always agree with Working Families Party’s positions, but for the Democrats I didn’t really want to vote for, I voted Working Families. I figured it was better to give a bump to third parties than make it seem like these candidates were acceptable. I also voted for Bloomberg on the Independent Party line and not the Republican Party line.
#7, the difference between Afghanistan and New York City is in Afghanistan, the incumbent is the incompetent and in New York City the competitor is incompetent. If Thompson wins.. .with the potential for corruption, even more failing schools, and a general lack of leadership, NYC will start to look a little more like Afghanistan.

Nov. 03 2009 11:00 AM
patrick from williamsburg

Did something I haven't done since 2000, voted Green Party. Rev. Billy.

Nov. 03 2009 10:25 AM
Susan from Kingston

The NYC mayorial race appears to be like that of the recent Presidential election in Afghanistan. Bought and paid for!

Nov. 03 2009 10:11 AM
maria from manhattan

I was wondering if you could also identify what other positions and referendums/amendments/ballots we are also voting on...Thanks.

Nov. 03 2009 10:05 AM
talia from bed stuy

I voted Working Parties down the line. Not so much for the individuals on the ballot (especially since these are almost the same as the democratic ticket) but because we desperately need a viable 3rd party

Nov. 03 2009 10:05 AM
jacob from UWS from Manhattan

I cast a protest vote against Bloomberg, though I prefer him over Thompson. I wanted to send a message that not everyone is happy with his performance.

1. term limit extension
2. out-of-control luxury building construction (with tax abatements! who pays for the schools? not the rich, thats for sure!)
3. Did I mention term limit extension?

Nov. 03 2009 10:03 AM
hjs from 11211

george
none of the serious candidates (quinn wiener) wanted to go up against prince mike or his billion dollar machine.

Nov. 03 2009 09:27 AM
S. L. Kelly from LIC, NY

Can Brian or his guest help with this question: I cast an absentee ballot in the mayoral race because I expected to be out of town today. Now a friend tells me that absentee ballots are not counted unless the race is too close to call. Can this be true? If it is true, than absentee ballots are only speculative votes and citizens should know that. I voted for Thompson because there is a chance that he will be a good mayor and Bloomberg has had 8 years only to proove he is only a billionaire. Thank you. (George, maybe Republicans have most of the money? Remember, Murdoch hand picked Koch.)

Nov. 03 2009 09:16 AM
George from Bay Ridge

Why have the Democrats been unable to elect a mayor since 1989?

Nov. 03 2009 04:06 AM