NJ Election Preview

Monday, November 02, 2009

Campaign season comes to a close as New Jersey's next governor gets elected (or re-elected) tomorrow. Brigid Harrison, professor of political science and law at Montclair State University, and Mike Kelly, columnist at The Record, give us a preview of what to expect.

Brigid Harrison and Mike Kelly
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Susan from Somerset, NJ

Every time a commentator says "NJ voters only care about taxes" -- which has happened, I would guess, thousands of times in the 25 years I have listened to WNYC (including the past 5 as a NJ resident), it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, encouraging state-wide corruption when politicians believe the voters are only watching their own bottom lines, and voter apathy among the growing segment of NJ voters who care about a LOT more than taxes. Both commentators repeated this, but you'll note Mayor Booker did not.

Nov. 03 2009 10:10 AM
John from Bergen County NJ

@ Not For Nothing: I am with you on the AHNdrea BernSTYNE issue. Although I did meet her so I am less annoyed with her voice now that I can picture her. Part of my self-imposed therapy is to listen for the content of the message instead of the timbre of her voice.

Nov. 02 2009 11:36 AM
Christine from Mendham, NJ

To all democrats who are disenchanted with Corzine:

Please consider Christie's position on social issues!

He is anti gay rights and anti abortion rights. Do you really want to take backward steps in these areas?

Nov. 02 2009 11:30 AM
Not for nothing

Something about Mike Kelly's voice annoys the hell out of me. Maybe it's that he chuckles at his own comments. AHNdrea BernSTYNE also drives me up a wall.

Nov. 02 2009 11:29 AM
Jade from ny metro

I'm a life-long dem. If I can vote for Daggett without electing Christie, I'll do it.

"Taxes" are NOT the most important issue for Hudson county (try CORRUPTION) or other urban voters.

Nov. 02 2009 11:28 AM
Carol from Summit, NJ

If you want better candidates, you have to get involved in the process. If you're unwilling to do that, you shouldn't be surprised or disgusted that it's not done the way you want.

And sitting it out to send a message? How will that change anything? It's not like the process requires a quorum.

Nov. 02 2009 11:26 AM
John from Bergen County NJ

Got a anti-Corzine ROBO call with wildly outlandish claims. Shame on the candidate who paid for this sort of tactic.

Nov. 02 2009 11:25 AM
Larry from Bergen County

He made the trains (and buses) run on time. (Nice new ones too.)

Nov. 02 2009 11:24 AM
John from Bergen County NJ

So Linda in Essex is not voting because she moved. Hey let's raise her taxes 50%
Voters who sit on their hands should pay a penalty for not choosing to vote.
If taxpayers want lower taxes they need to be willing to GIVE-UP Services. i.e. Police, education, DPW etc.
But voters do not want to give up or pare back these services.

Nov. 02 2009 11:23 AM
Caitlin from Jersey City

I still can't decide between voting FOR Dagget or voting AGAINST Christie by voting for Corzine.

Nov. 02 2009 11:22 AM
hjs from 11211

BL
why is dagget in the race you ask?
I ask why americans can't have multi-party democracy. in most elections 50% of the voters stay home. clearly the 2 party system doesn't speak to everyone! don't ask someone with 15% of the vote to drop out.

greg your website doesn't even work

Nov. 02 2009 11:06 AM
Greg Pason from Montclair, NJ

There are more than three candidates in the NJ election but NYC like other media has ignored the other candidates.

www.votepason.org