Making College Accessible and Affordable

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Kevin Carey, director of the education policy program at the New America Foundation and Andrew P. Kelly, resident scholar and director of the Center on Higher Education Reform at the American Enterprise Institute discuss the ideas for reforming higher education found in the book they edited, Stretching the Higher Education Dollar: How Innovation Can Improve Access, Equity, and Affordability (Harvard Education Press, 2013).

Kevin Carey and Andrew P. Kelly
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Tina from Queens

They grade highschools according to college admission percentage.
We are pushing ALL children towards college.
Imagine a world in which EVERYONE has a master's degree.
Who's going to clean the toilets at McDonalds?

Sep. 12 2013 03:25 PM
Tina from Queens

They grade highschools according to college admission percentage.
We are pushing ALL children towards college.
Imagine a world in which EVERYONE has a master's degree.
Who's going to clean the toilets at McDonalds?

Sep. 12 2013 03:25 PM

Hahahaha - jgarbuz. I'm not an engineer.

My father talked me out of it even though I was the only girl in my high school drafting and architecture classes and the only one who figured out the mathematical equations to draw the ellipses for the drawing of a screw that was required for our final exam. After that the guys who previously called me "meat" as my nickname shut up and started asking me to help them.

I was beside myself with joy when I was going on high school tours with my son and discovered Brooklyn Tech and Stuyvesant both have the old fashioned drafting tables that they make students use before they are allowed to use the new cad programs.

Currently I'm a lactation consultant. I've always found work that I enjoy and when I no longer enjoy it, I reinvent myself and do something else. I benefited from an era of readily available scholarships and student loans and value my education immensely. Far more than any physical object I've ever bought.

Sep. 12 2013 12:23 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

To Edward from Washington Heights

Dilbert! Need I say more ? :)

Sep. 12 2013 11:49 AM

Also:

- We need to breed and enforce more discipline and moral direction in college students. What percentage of the time and resources of college students is consumed by idleness (in the best case), bacchanalia, debauchery, and, more often than not, downright /depravity/?

- We need to seriously re-examine and re-consider co-education. No amount of hysterical screeching from radical Feminists can change the empirical reality: The male and female brain/mind/psyche are inherently different and have different ideal conditions and approaches for learning.

(And abolish gender-intergrated sports, posthaste. Start with wrestling.)

Sep. 12 2013 11:47 AM

Another force that is transforming the education landscape is lifelong learning. The meaning of a 1968, 1974, 1989 degree is not the same as one granted today. Lifelong learning means the value of degrees is ephemeral -- especially in science & technology. A good example of how things work now are AHIMA certifications in health care technology. Imperfect, but reflects the state of rapid change and need to continually reinvent ourselves as thinking creatures.

Sep. 12 2013 11:46 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

jgarbuz from Queens said:

> I love engineers. They are the only people who know what they are talking about. But there many bad engineers too. They end up in marketing and make even more money :)

More often the bad engineers who ingratiate or "social engineer" themselves with the right people, end up in Management.

Sep. 12 2013 11:43 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

There was an article on Morning Edition a while back about colleges/universities and their endowments. As there are just so many buildings that can be built with alumni names on them and the federal government does not allow them to accumulate but so much money, they are now having to use this money for scholarships.

If your family income is less than $60,000 annually, you can attend Harvard free - provided you have the grades to get in. I presume there are other schools with similar programs.

However, this is dependent upon the education that students get from their parents, elementary and secondary schools, AND, of course, the students' desire to be well-educated and how hard they are willing to work.

Sep. 12 2013 11:41 AM

One of the reason why costs are so high is the fact that we have schools that are using money to give professors vacation home loans. The fact that this was rendered normal by the guests is really disturbing.

Another cost driver is on campus housing & meals. I'm trying to figure out how dormitories & cafeterias turned into condos and high end restaurants. I found it interesting that for my alma mater (which I graduated in 2001) the tuition costs stayed the same, but the on campus housing cost had soared.

@jgarbuz - I agree with you that too many students leave universities with no marketable skills, but that's the student's fault not the university's. This is the result of parents who pay the entire cost of the student's education and put too much value in grades. The reason why students in the past were easily able to get employment after college was due to the fact that they worked to pay for school. Now we have a generation of spoiled prima donnas who do nothing besides go to class for four years and get peeved as to why they don't get hired after graduation.

Sep. 12 2013 11:39 AM
CBrown from Brooklyn

Textbooks. I'm an adjunct teacher at a state university, and I feel guilty when I ask my non-affluent students to purchase just one obscenely over-priced textbook. There was a report on NY1 this morning about one high school where all textbooks are digital, and the students are given tablets to read them on. The purchase of all those tablets is more cost-effective than the purchase of those textbooks.

Also, no mention of the ridiculous amount of money spent on sports programs at many of these schools? In most states, the highest-paid state employee is a university sports coach or athletic director. That's the first place I'd start cutting. But I was never a jock or a sports fan.

Sep. 12 2013 11:38 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

To sburgernutr

If you are capable of doing engineering work, absolutely go for it! I worked alongside engineers for many years. I love engineers. They are the only people who know what they are talking about. But there many bad engineers too. They end up in marketing and make even more money :)

Sep. 12 2013 11:38 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

To Noach

Hey "schnorrer!" You want a free education? Get online and go to Khan Academy! You can learn everything you want, except Talmud, on the Khan Academy website. You can sit and learn everything from first grade up to Master's degree material for free on the Khan Academy website.

Sep. 12 2013 11:35 AM

Jgarbuz:

Not everyone gets a BA. Some of us go into science and engineering. Some of us do benefit from our college education. Some of us actually don't want to work for someone else. Some of us are quite happy to invent our own business opportunities.

As for innovation, it would be great to untether professors and courses from the physical facilities and make courses those courses that are suited to online learning more widely available. What should be tethered to the physical facilities are courses that really need a presence on site - such as laboratory work and discussion groups.

If students could take the best courses from the best professors regardless of the institution and build that to a degree that could be awarded on the basis of knowledge and skill acquired rather than "courses taken from our institution" -- that might weed out the poorly designed "required" courses that are embedded in all institutions of higher learning.

Sep. 12 2013 11:34 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Noach wants to "schnor" everything "for free." There is no "for free' in this world, Noach. Somebody has to pay. You mean the taxpayers should pay. And who will choose the geniuses that deserve this "free" education? Based on what? I got an almost "free" education by winning a New York Regents Scholarship back in 1964. Guess what? I should have stayed in the clothing business :) My education, even for free, was a waste. Only people over 140 IQ should go to college. Everyone else should work!

Sep. 12 2013 11:32 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Eliminate Tenure for teachers.

Why should teachers be a special protected class? Teachers should be subject to fair review and market forces like any one else.

Sep. 12 2013 11:31 AM

Why don't we offer free, quality higher education to all who are truly qualified, capable and interested? Don't most European countries do that? Hasn't this been an /investment/ in the future of those nations that has paid-off when such students prove to be national /assets/?

As for jgarbuz's arguments, I find at least some merit and validity in them (as I wrote in a reply to him I posted some months back). The first priority must be to equip the next generation with the skills/qualifications necessary to ensure a decent, stable livelihood. (The Talmud says it is incumbent upon a father to teach his son a trade. And to swim.)

For those who are not suited for college, vocational training is indeed warranted.

Sep. 12 2013 11:28 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I repeat, we should strengthen the K-12 education, and put money into vocational training INSIDE THE HIGH SCHOOLS making HS graduates immediately employable, rather than throwing more resources into "higher education." We need better basic education before we waste more tax monies on college. We need to raise K-12 quality first!

Sep. 12 2013 11:28 AM

Whenever I hear distance learning I recall my time in college and how valuable it was for me to be away from school and meeting face to face with my colleagues as well as my professors. I believe distance learning is the beginning of one type of education for the wealthy and another for the poor.

Sep. 12 2013 11:27 AM
Robert from NYC

That's great that Perry put that out there. I guess when he finishes high school he'll be able to go to college at a less expensive cost.

Sep. 12 2013 11:25 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

K-12 should be re-purposed to produce workers and savvy consumers. College for most people is a scam created by liberals to produce jobs for themselves as teachers, professors, administrators, "talking heads," journalists and the like at the cost of $1 Trillion dollars in debt. The college bubble is about to burst. The BA, or bachelors degree, should be abolished in favor of a system of credentials showing what a student can actually do for an employer after completing 2-4 years of training. The typical student leaves college after piling up a mountain of debt with no more actual capabilities than he or she had after finishing high school. An employer is only interested in what you can DO, not in what you have allegedly "learned." To repeat, for the majority, college is a wasteful scam only providing jobs for petty academics as teachers.

Sep. 12 2013 06:42 AM