M. Night Shyamalan on Closing the Achievement Gap

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

M. Night Shyamalan, director of the films “The Sixth Sense” and “Unbreakable,” talks about the five keys to closing America’s achievement gap and improving education for all. He and his wife started a foundation that gave college scholarships to promising inner-city students, but they realized that these scholarships did nothing to improve education for all the other students in under-performing schools. In his book I Got Schooled he tells what he learned traveling around the country to study high-performing schools in disadvantaged neighborhoods.

M. Night Shyamalan

M. Night Shyamalan is looking at his stocks options and slobbering all over our kids. He's helping his friend RL friend Rahm Emannuel decimate our public schools, so that their buddy billionaires can bring in their corporate "expertise" to create what is quickly becoming a true education apartheid in our nation. This is the guy who just this last week stated on MSNBC that the "bottom 10%" of teachers should be fired and that "the top 20% of our teachers could do this by themselves"! What hogwash! Way to alienate America's educators! Point the finger at our downtrodden teachers and pay not attention to the Big Billionaires behind the curtain.

Teachers know where the problems lie. Can't wait to see this man up against REAL teachers.

Sep. 14 2013 02:17 PM
allison 243

Shyamalan does not know his subject in any depth. Don't bother reading the book. It's EDUCATORS to whom we should be listening now. THEY are the experts here.

Sep. 14 2013 10:44 AM
Lina from Greensboro

Does Mr. Shyamalan send his kids to public schools? Probably not. Is the model which says smaller class size doesn't matter, one in which he wants his kids to have? No! His kids attend schools with smaller class sizes. It's a shame that a formerly talented director of Hollywood films has the audacity to think because he has some money he now knows everything about everything, especially education. I hope he decides to become a public school teacher, then write another book that speaks the truth about current Ed reforms like his own.

Sep. 14 2013 09:02 AM
Jennifer

So, I have seen countless "bad movies" and many good ones, I have ideas on what makes a great movie but I have never worked in film, or even set foot on a real movie set. So I whatever advice I have to give Mr. Shyamalan he needs to take because I have seen movies? Until you have a vast experience in educating children, holding numerous positions in a school system (teacher, administrator,etc...)studying how children learn and the factors that inhibit their success, until you become an educator...I suggest that you keep your opinions to yourself. I have some great ideas about how to fix Wall Street too...maybe even the government, or how about the heath care system????

Sep. 14 2013 08:55 AM
Maria Glass

Another celebrity/entrepreneur who knows the secret to fix education. Sigh. Public schools are not broken.They have been undermined and now destroyed at an exponential rate by school profiteers wanting to put their hands on that 500 billions that "industry" represents, like Rupert Murdock calls it. While companies like Pearson walk out with the lion's share, teachers' salaries remain frozen, kids go without needed programs. Look at chicago, Philadelphia, etc. Teachers are the only professionals being told what to do or else by non professionals and then taking the blame when those id
eas don't work. You want to fix education? Get all those carpet baggers out of our classrooms!

Sep. 14 2013 08:46 AM
Peter

When did we reach the point in this country where we decided that anybody with an ounce of fame or a pile of money is automatically qualified to be an expert on schools and education. His mixture of the obvious, the misguided, and the just plain wrong is the same sort of thing I would expect to hear from a new student teacher.

Sep. 14 2013 08:35 AM
Connie Goddard from Trenton

I heard only the end of the interview with Shayamalan, but found what little I heard immensely distressing. Has this guy ever taught anythibg? For a sustained period? I don't want to hear about outdated research on class size, I want someone to has actual experience in classroom: teaching, not filming. As a historian of education familiar with current research -- and currently teaching crowded classes at a New Jersey state prison -- I wondered what "de-former" of public schools is funding his films and why S & S, a reputable publisher, would put his book out. Mr. Lopate, I think you know better than not to question Shamalan's guff!

Sep. 11 2013 01:15 PM
BigGuy from Forest Hills

I think the most effective way to get people to accept change is needed and to support paying more taxes to fix education would be just to show these high schools and junior highs.

Picture on one of the major network news programs, or failing that, on PBB's news hour, for three months, at the end of every newscast -- so 65 short films -- showing about 1 1/2 minutes at a school in the city and 1 1/2 minutes at a school in the suburbs.

Were famous directors, like M Night and others, to make those short films, they would far more likely to be broadcast, or cablecast, and change might come.

Sep. 11 2013 12:50 PM
genejoke from Brooklyn

Leonard, the correct pronunciation is "M. Night Shamalama-ding-dong."

Sep. 11 2013 12:21 PM