We Asked, You Answered: #VoterSelfies

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

You helped us tell the story of Tuesday's primary election, starting with your experience at the polls. We asked you to snap a photo of you doing your civic duty: Waiting in line, exiting the voting booth, or proudly wearing your "I Voted" sticker.

Tags:

More in:

Okay, I found the full listing of results:

Scratch my previous post.

Sep. 11 2013 12:34 AM

For at least the past thirty minutes or so, only the top four "mayoral Dems" are shown.

How about showing the results for Anthony Weiner, Erick Salgado and any other candidates?

Sep. 11 2013 12:15 AM
Tom from UWS

Again, Amy's figures are quite different from those on your site at the same moment!

Sep. 10 2013 09:27 PM
Tom from UWS

Whoa! Don't feel you have to give "predictions" or say who is leading when your own interactive real-time returns say less than 1% of the vote is counted. I've been watching it and there's already been some up and down. Take your time - we won't hold it against you for showing common sense.

Sep. 10 2013 09:21 PM
Liz Hare from Sunnyside

I also had problems-- I am blind and need to use the ballot marking device (the OCR device mentioned by the previous caller). The poll workers never know how to set it up for audio output and it always takes a long time. We spent awhile figuring it out and got it stuck speaking Bengali. Luckily, there was a Bengali interpreter on-site and she was able to get it back to English and get the volume up enough to make it useable... but it's like this every time I go to vote. Poll workers need to be educated about people with disabilities needs at the polling place.

Sep. 10 2013 08:43 PM
Erin C. from Park Slope, Brooklyn

I live in Brooklyn, have been at my current address for five years, and have always been registered Democrat. Today at my polling place, neither my name nor my husband's name was on the rolls.

Sep. 10 2013 05:57 PM
So glad i don't have to vote here from nyc

after 12 years of Bloomberg Awesome-Sauce this is what people woke up to (from the NYT today):
"From Wall Street to Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn, New York City residents arrived at polling stations to find that the decades-old lever machines were not working."
NICE going to all out elected officials who can't ensure a smooth and modern election process - so glad I don't have to vote today.

Sep. 10 2013 02:38 PM

Polling place worked fine this morning (PS8 in Brooklyn Heights) but the WNYC survey form doesn't - impossible to 'submit' response, after several tries...
Surprised at low morning turnout in traditionally high-participation Brooklyn Heights (home to one major mayoral candidate and both Democratic city-council district 33 primary candidates). Pollworkers friendly and helpful as always - and clearly happy to have the old familiar lever-operated booths back at work. The scanning system presented delays and challenges, for voters and pollworkers both. This tried-and-tested 1930s technology is far more voter-friendly.

Sep. 10 2013 01:48 PM
Tristan from B'lyn

2 issues:

1) I received a recorded call this member from a group called "Vote for Anyone but Christine Quinn" campaign. The title is pretty much self-explanatory. I'm not a Quinn supporter but this is rather nasty, I believe. I wonder who bankrolls this and should be publicly identified.

2) What happened to the Brooklyn Borough President race? The Voter Guide I received just last week listed 2 candidates but none show up in the ballot when I voted this morning, unless I totally missed it???

Sep. 10 2013 12:59 PM
Eileen Markey from Bronx

I went to vote this morning in my usual polling place at St. Brendan's School in the Norwood neighborhood in the Bronx. My name was not on the list. I've been registered in New York forever and have voted in every general, primary, special, charter revision, every election since I moved to this neighborhood in 2002. Before that I always voted too, but in another boro. I take voting very seriously. I know women marched, fasted, were imprisoned to secure this right for me and I've worked in countries where people take great personal risks simply to be able to be part of a democratic process. I voted today with an affadavit ballot, but it was disconcerting to find my name purged. I want to know why my name was removed from the voter rolls and I want to know how many other people's names were removed and why.

Sep. 10 2013 12:28 PM
Bob from Tribeca

Arrived at the Tweed Court House (a/k/a Department of Education headquarters) at about 7:10am. All set-up and waiting. No wait, no hassle. Three minutes, if that. Must be showing my age, sorta' liked the feel of the lever in my hand again. Often wondered if the efficiency and readiness of my polling station could have anything to do with it being a few hundred feet from City Hall. Ya' think?

Sep. 10 2013 11:55 AM
Rachel Newman from High School of Art and Design , East 56th St.

It was a hilarious scene: I was at my new polling place, the newly renovated High school of Art and Design on East 56th St. at 7:45am this morning. At the door was a small crowd getting instructions about where in the school the voting room was.....which was on the 5th floor. There were a number of security people around and one man...not in uniform...who must have been from the school ...in some supervisory position...but who clearly didn't realize that this was now a poling place, who was trying to stop the people from coming in. He was yelling..." I can''t let all these strangers into the building! I don't know who they are! " We all looked at him as if he was nuts! Hello? Had he not been told this was now the poling place?
In any event, we all got up to the 5th floor and it went very smoothly. The old lever machines were being used, and the crowds were orderly and things seemed to be very efficient. The only flaw was the arrival of the students and the voters at the same time.

Sep. 10 2013 11:37 AM
Sari Roboff from Upper West Side

I listened to the bashing of the lever machines with dismay. I question whether they are any less reliable than the optical scanner ballots -- and they are a lot less complicated to use. I was taken aback at how quickly I could vote -- I've gotten used to the longer time in line, to fill in the paper ballot, and then walk across the voting area to have to wait in line again to scan the piece of paper. (Talk about an "ungreen" process, by the way).

It is clear that all the good government organizations prefer the scanning, but where was the fraud and where were the major machine failures before Congress passed the new law in the wake of Bush V Gore and the hanging chads? I think it's a waste of money, time, and paper.

I'm glad to have levers back, even if it's just this one time.

Sep. 10 2013 11:13 AM
Emily from Brooklyn

I had carefully researched ahead to know who to vote for, using the NY Voter Guide I had received in the mail
When I got into the booth, I discovered, however, that my research was hardly worth it. There were only 3 races I could vote on--Mayor, Public Advocate, and Comptroller. Although the current Borough President had retired, and I had been provided with two names of people running, that was not on the ballot. Since I had been gerrymandered out of my former City Council District without my knowing it, I didn't have to vote in that race. Because the Voter Guide didn't include the race for District Attorney I'd done no research there, and had received only two negative phone calls on those running, and ended up not voting there.
Altogether a very negative experience, making me wonder to a degreee why I should even bother. I did enjoy pulling the lever on that clunky old machine, though.

Sep. 10 2013 11:01 AM
JOR from NYC/Tribeca

I understand that one can only vote if one is a registered Democrat or Republican and can only vote for that respective party. However, can a Republican vote where there's no Republican candidate, e.g. the Comptroller race.

And as an a side, is it be possible for whoever loses that race to run in the general election as an independent or other party such as Green/Conservative/Libertatiran/Rent Is Too Damn High?

Sep. 10 2013 10:57 AM
Steve from upper west side

No problems with the machines or my voter site (44th ED, city council dist. 7) -- in fact, I love those old clunky machines and never thought I'd see them again. My problem was that I am well informed and paid close attention for months now, and was surprised to see election races that I had no idea would eve be on the ballot; Democratic Party District Leader (one for Male, one for Female), and a long list of Judicial Delegates (choose any 13)... I was not able to vote for any of them, not knowing a single name, but felt cheated as I would have wanted to use my vote to it's fullest extent. While I certainly understand that the main elections are sexier and take priority, I was surprised that even the NYC VOTES Voter Guide (put out by The NYC Campaign Finance Board) had a peep...

Sep. 10 2013 10:36 AM