David Byrne on City Cycling

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Back in the 1970s biking around NYC may not have been cool, but David Byrne was doing it and hasn't stopped since. The former Talking Heads frontman proclaims his love for two-wheeled transport in his new book, Bicycle Diaries.

David Byrne

Leon Freilich from Park Slope

Where's There's Spoke, There's Ire

Forget about the traffic light
While walking a Brooklyn street;
There's little danger from automobiles,
Whose drivers are discreet.

But bicycles are something else,
Even on a guide walk;
You need to look both right and left,
Especially on the sidewalk.

Oct. 27 2009 05:02 PM
Bernard from Brooklyn

Carol -- and what percentage of people who are not killed on bicycles were not wearing "helmuts"? Wouldn't that be interesting if it was also 90%

Oct. 23 2009 09:58 AM
Lil Spegal from Chelsea

How about showing the other side once in a while!!!!! Most bikers don't believe the laws apply them.

I'm a pedestrian and bad as cars are, at least they tend to follow the laws.

Oct. 22 2009 04:47 PM
Ryan from Manhattan

To date, one of the strangest things I've seen in NYC was a young man in a 3 piece suit, riding a unicycle through rush hour midtown while texting on his phone with 2 hands not looking at all where he was going... One of those moments which made comrades of all who witnessed it as we cracked up in the street together.

Oct. 22 2009 11:47 AM
John Celardo from Fanwood, NJ

That was delightful!

Oct. 22 2009 11:47 AM
Arthur from Soho

On the issue of city infrastructure affecting quality of life: a terrific documentary on the bold changes implemented in London: http://video.pbs.org/video/1145396186

(narrated by Brad Pitt!)

Oct. 22 2009 11:44 AM
Christopher Deignan from Middle Village

What a wonderful advocate for city cycling David Bryne is; thoughtful, articulate and quietly passionate about his city. Always loved his music and now he's inspiring me to get my bike back out. A few things that have put me off in the past; the potholes, horrible street lighting and nowhere to park my bike safely.

Oct. 22 2009 11:44 AM
Sterling from Manhattan

This Saturday night from 9pm to 12 at the Hub is a bike related fashion show with bikes.

Hudson Urban Bicycles
71 Morton St. at Hudson St.

www.thehublog.wordpress.com

Oct. 22 2009 11:42 AM
mark from queens!

I call upon David Byrne to publicly repudiate his previously published comments disdaining helmet usage. Messy hair is a small price to pay for saving your life. Arguments to the contrary, about 'personal choice', wash away when considered in the larger context - of the cost to the health care system, and the anguish of friends and family.

I'm an avid cyclist myself, with a close relative currently in hospital with life threatening head injuries, sustained in a simple fall from a bicycle (yes, while wearing a helmet).

Use your head - WEAR A HELMET!

Oct. 22 2009 11:42 AM
Carol from Park Slope

Does David Byrne wear a helmut? I'm concerned about the safety of so many adults (including my 23 year old son) who don't wear helmuts. About 90% of those killed on bicycles were not wearing helmuts.

Oct. 22 2009 11:40 AM
Jess from Greenpoint

My boyfriend Jon and I are both bike commuters, but only he was lucky enough to David Byrne biking in Chelsea the other day. Love your music and your cycling ways!

Oct. 22 2009 11:39 AM
Kyle from Manhattan

I'm interested in getting a bike. I am curious how many bikes David has had stolen.

Oct. 22 2009 11:37 AM