30 Issues Day 24: Bike Lanes

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Bike lanes may serve public safety and health, but their placement has become a controversial political issue. Andrea Bernstein, WNYC reporter, looks at the where the mayoral candidates stand on how to expand bicycle lanes on NYC streets.

Andrea Bernstein
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

zach rice from LES, NYC

Bike lanes are great and more are needed, however the Grand Street bike lane is the wrong TYPE of bike lane for a cross town street - it eliminates parking (we need parking, too), it makes deliveries nearly impossible (we need business), and its terrible for bikers (I am one) because the bike lane is next to the curb and full of trash, water, manholes, potholes, people walking and crossing the street, deliverymen pushing carts, and as a biker you are trapped between the curb and parked cars. The proper type of bikelane for a cross town street can be found on East 9th Street.

Oct. 29 2009 07:39 AM
Ben

Here's a link to the Facebook group for anybody that's curious:

Oct. 23 2009 05:39 PM
Meredith from Brooklyn

Bill Thompson is toast and this issue could very well solidify that. Dumb move Bill. Four more years of Bloomberg , here we come. Hopefully, Khan will use the opportunity to fine tune some of the more screwed up scenarios they have created for everyone. Pedestrians, vehicles and bicyclists.

Oct. 23 2009 12:59 PM
William from Williamsburg

If the bike lanes were implemented sanely, logically , and were soundly engineered I would be for them. THIS administration has used them to further a political agenda to appear green and progressive. Kent Avenue being made one way to accommodate the bike lane is TOTAL crap , and has spread heavy trucks through small residential streets that run all night long. I lived on a fairly quiet street for 20 years until the change. Thanks Janette & Michael. You win.

Oct. 23 2009 12:48 PM
Mike from Inwood

Nandor Sala [71]: Yous are so right! These lanes were not designed by bikers for bikers.

Oct. 23 2009 12:28 PM
Mike from Inwood

No more bike lanes yet! from Inwood states: "Until bikers (especially delivery boys) actually stop at red lights, drive on the correct side of the road and stop being so aggressive, they should be aggressively fined and if they do, their bikes should be confiscated! As both pedistrian and driver, they are disasters."

I live in Inwood, too. First, let's distinguish between the kids in Inwood (who scream down the hill on Isham with a passenger on their handlebars and shoot through the traffic across Broadway) and adults who bike. Obviously, the kids need to be reined in and I wonder where their parents are, but then figure it's a kind of like natural selection.

However, as a cautious adult cyclist, it is my expereience that drivers in Inwood routinely challenge pedestrians and cyclists with their cars. I haven't ridden in years now because I feel it's too dangerous. Stand on the corner of 207th and Broadway. All day long you can cite at least one moving violation each minute. You might have noticed the light that replaced the stop signs on the corner of Cooper St and 207th St after 3 elderly people were killed by speeding cars running the stop signs over just a few years. I think the police should start to ticket drivers for moving violations. But that's too small potatoes for the cops and the traffic cops only ticket parked cars. If moving violations were ticketed, the cops involved would pay for their own salary, benefits and retirement.

Oct. 23 2009 12:16 PM
Nandor Sala from Astoria, work in Manhattan

The bike lanes on broadway and 9th avenue are poorly designed and slow and as a biker I feel they are more dangerous than the way it was before. They mix pedestrians and bikes even more. Cars and bikers tend to be more alert than pedestrians. These bike lanes don't seem to have been designed by someone who understands what it means to bike as a significant part of your job. They seem to have been designed with causal bikers in mind. They don't make it effcient to bike and don't encourage biking as part of your daily transportation, instead it seems more recreational.

Oct. 22 2009 05:16 PM
Lil Spegal from Chelsea

I listen to the Brian Lehrer show daily. You are usually evenhanded BUT you are as biased as Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck when it comes to bicycles.

How about presenting an even-handed approach to this issue once in a while.

Oct. 22 2009 04:43 PM
No more bike lanes yet! from Inwood

As both pedistrian and driver, they are disasters.

Oct. 22 2009 04:32 PM
Mike from Inwood

JohnG states: "Many posters have commented that they will vote for the current mayor because of his policy on bike lanes. So be it. It's a free country after all. I just feel that there are other issues that are more suited to deciding an election"

Perhaps you should learn to read more carefully. As one poster who commented that I wouldn't vote for this mayor, it's not just the bike lines. The bike lanes are just more of the same top down Bloomberg running this city as though we're all his employees and he's allowed to set company policy as the owner. I don't smoke, but outlawing smoking in bars in the outer neighborhoods, where 90% or more of the people out late at night are smokers, is imperious. Especially when it's achieved legally under the guise of protecting the bartender from second hand smoke, when most of the bar tenders smoke and would prefer the income they've lost when smokers stay home. It's Brooklyn yards, where private property that was not run down was condemned so that private developers could nmake more money. Except that they can't, so a Johnny-come-lately, Russian mafioso investor will make money on an ugly scaled down box store of a stadium that will now be built. It's supporting spending abillion dollars of tax money (federal, state & local) to move Penn Station 50 yards without any better service. or the willingness to tear the city up for the Olympics. Or the way that the concerns ofthe government have been shifted from the middle class and needy to the wealthy.

Oct. 22 2009 12:49 PM
hjs from 11211

JohnG
true

Oct. 22 2009 12:02 PM
JohnG from Manhattan

Oct. 22 2009 11:58 AM
Mike from Inwood

nkbah: This includes many younger people in these neighborhoods, too. Can I guess that your real beef is White people, some of whom are from the suburbs and who have cars, who are buying buildings and 'gentrifying' Harlem, and displacing some of the people who've lived there for generations? Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Oct. 22 2009 11:32 AM
hjs from 11211

please, glen just upset that the Feds cut his pay!

Oct. 22 2009 11:25 AM
Mike from Inwood

JohnG

i think we can think about more than one problem at a time. don't u?

No, JohnG, I don't. A call-in with many topics being discussed simultaneously would be unmanageable, for both the listener and the host. The big issues (like housing, schools and policing) tend to drown out the lesser ones, like bike lanes. That's why it's 30 issues in 30 days. Tune back in on the days you consider worthwhile. It's a big radio dial. There are other stations.

Oct. 22 2009 11:22 AM
jtt from jackson heights

Thank you Glenn.

Oct. 22 2009 11:19 AM
Mike from Inwood

nkbah [58] Perhaps Harlem is as you describe, but in the five neighborhoods that I've lived in in Brooklyn and Manhattan over the past 25 years, non-driving New Yorkers are very rare. The cars that line the streets are not owned by suburbanites who've moved here and brought their cars. What is completely incomprehensible to me is the way native New Yorkers will drive such short distances, (e.g. to a grocery store 300 or 400 yards away) park and then drive home. I'd rather walk and make several trips.

Oct. 22 2009 11:18 AM
hjs from 11211

JohnG
i think we can think about more than one problem at a time. don't u?

Oct. 22 2009 11:16 AM
Abigail Simon from Greenpoint, Brooklyn

The Kent Ave/Franklin bike lanes are extremely awkward and badly conceived, and turn a four lane turnpike, the ONLY two way street in the vicinity, to a yuppie mall. I think there is a class aspect to these conversions which is not addressed, in that the interests of industry (workers, working class, people of color---and this includes not only the workers in the businesses whose ability to function that is impacted but the truckers that need that road as an access to streets) into a la-la land for the yuppies moving into the new condominiums which just happen to line that corridor. Where are the trucks re-routed through? The already congested and tiny one way, two lane residential streets still lined with two and three story houses further in-land.

I think that Bloomberg has been a decent mayor in many respects, especially compared to Giuliani and Dinkins, but I think these bike lines are EXTREMELY ill-conceived and an act of violence to the civic body.

Oct. 22 2009 11:13 AM
Mike from Inwood

JohnG {57] opines "With all the problems in the city including unaffordable housing, out of control development, a 100 year old signal system on the subways, over crowded schools, over zealous stop and frisk policies, rampant unemployment and a dysfunctional local economy, it's BIKE LANES that are these people's major issue. Time for y'all to move back home."

You've listed seven issues. Arguably, numbers two and seven are redundant. This is 30 issues in 30 days. What would your other 23 issues be? Maybe it's time y'all learned to get with the program.

Oct. 22 2009 11:12 AM
nkbah from harlem

Mike from Inwood,
I was just reflecting on my own experiences as a native new yorker. i don't know any other native new yorker (at least in my age group, early to mid 20's) who has a car or even knows how to drive. but if i was misinformed i can accept that.

Oct. 22 2009 11:11 AM
JohnG from Manhattan

Oct. 22 2009 11:05 AM
Mike from Inwood

nkbah from harlem [53] claims "the bikes and bike lanes aren't the problem. cars are the problem. get rid of personal cars in nyc. keep bikes, buses, taxis, and commercial vehicles. people who grow up in this city don't even learn how to drive. it's the people who move here who bring their cars with them."

Having moved here from the suburbs 25 years ago, I'd have to srrongly disagree with this. I wasn't accustomed to driving in circles for 20 minutes waiting for a space. It drove me so crazy that I got rid of my car in two weeks. I lived in Brooklyn for many years and now live in Inwood (northern Manhattan). Native New Yorkers, living 3 generations in the same building, usually have more cars than they need. One family member is always at home during the mid-day and moves several cars at 11 AM and 2 PM, getting the choice parking spots. I wondered how people became accustommed to this parking situation. It's probably like pollution; when it only gets slightly worse each year, you don't notice when you're eventually breathing smog. It's these people who need to some cultural readjustment.

Oct. 22 2009 11:03 AM
Johanna Lane from Brooklyn

I can't believe that Mayor Bloomberg dissed Andrea Bernstein. Now THAT's a reason not to vote for him! ;)

Oct. 22 2009 10:53 AM
nkbah from harlem

Oct. 22 2009 10:51 AM
Mike from Inwood

Looking over these comments, I'd have to agree with the sentiment that there are simply too many cars in NYC and they are the danger to pedestrians, bicyclists and other drivers. In America, it would be tough to dictate that people could not own cars or not drive in lower Manhattan and Brooklyn Heights, but if free parking was gradually reduced by turning the parking lane on one side of selected back streets into bike lanes, people would gradually get rid of their cars as the competition for free parking became more intense. This would make NYC more livable and the gradual change would make it more palatable than a large, achieve it within two years program.

Oct. 22 2009 10:50 AM
Sheila and Kathy from Long Island City

Please don't forget about the boroughs! We've seen miles of our parking options eliminated with bike paths that are rarely used. This is called New York CITY not New York PARK.

Oct. 22 2009 10:43 AM
AudreyCode from Grand St. and Wooster

The bike lane is fine, but the parking lane next to it is obstructive to traffic-
There is only one lane on Grand St. now, and the traffic tie-ups are horrendous!

Keep the bike lane, get rid of the parking lane,
at least where Grand St. is narrow.

Oct. 22 2009 10:41 AM
RLewis from bowery

That last caller said he drives a semi-tractor trailor truck on Grand St. WTF???? Those 2 tings do NOT go together.

That's what this is about - Bloomberg could care less about bikes, but he's still pissed off for not getting the Congestion Pricing, so he's sticking it to drivers like that trucker by making their life on nyc roads HELL. Keep them out of nyc as much as possible. He just got my Vote!

Oct. 22 2009 10:40 AM
Mike from Inwood

Instead of making bike lanes on major commercial streets where they will necessarily compete with commercial traffic, why not take parallel back streets, where there is virtually no commercial traffic, and remove one parking lane altogether and make these biking streets?

To me, thisis just another Bloomberg top-down, I don't really know what I'm doing but I'm the decider, take your property and rearrange your life by emminent domain, foolishness. And this is exactly why I would vote for anybody EXCEPT Bloomberg.

Oct. 22 2009 10:37 AM
evan from brooklyn

An important consideration is FOOT TRAFFIC. The bicycle lanes on Grand street and Broadway are a pain in the butt because people walk in them. Pedestrians step into the greenways without looking. Also hand-truck deliveries and street vendors push their carts in the lanes. I will always ride with traffic on these streets. It is safer.
But I'm a huge fan of the new protected lanes on Kent and near the Manhattan bridge.

Oct. 22 2009 10:33 AM
Glenn from Manhattan

bikes as two wheeled 'renegade' outlaw vehicles and crazy anarchist in-a-rush nyc pedestrians will continue no matter how many bike lanes and rules you put on bikes. We can't control people's emotions with laws. Start giving tickets to illiterate Chinese messengers riding their bikes the wrong way on bike lanes and and pedestrians tickets for jaywalking across bike lanes. All this is just more regulation fever for you regulation mavens. NYC is not Holland, thanks. All this too is geared toward the wnyc staff because they live in Crooklyn, where the hipsters who can't afford manhattan live. So thanks for wnyc's self agrandizing self-analysis here today.

Oct. 22 2009 10:27 AM
Nick from manhattan

Anything that discourages cars (especially single commuters, non-commercial passenger cars) from entering manhattan is good.

Manhattan has too many passenger cars. Period.

Accomodations must be made for commercial traffic and deliveries. People who really must use a car (hauling equipment, deliveries) should be accomodated in high traffic areas--this is currently done in many areas where the only standing allowed is for trucks unloading or loading. This makes sense.

INCENTIVES SHOULD be given for deliveries to be made during off-peak hours (before 8 am or after 7 pm). Lower tolls for trucks entering manhattan at those times?

Oct. 22 2009 10:26 AM
Mike from Park Slope

Anthony is on the money - cyclists need to look out for their own safety.

As far as enforcing traffic laws on bikes, I think the laws need to be examined so they work well for cars and bicycles. If you have to top at every light (which are timed for cars) you can't really get anywhere. Treating stop signs as Yields, and lights as stop signs, is my policy on the bike, and is a good balance between safety and efficiency.

Besides, how many drivers follow all the traffic laws? Speeding, non-use of signals, running red lights late, and using phones and texting are rampant in NYC. Drivers need to clean up their act before they point fingers.

And of course, pedestrians need to keep their eyes open and use common sense as well.

Oct. 22 2009 10:26 AM
brad from crown heights

I appreciate the difficulty of taking away car-space in manhattan, but as a daily biker, they really really really improve the safety of my commute.

They also help funnel bike traffic to some degree, meaning that not only are the bikes safer on the bike lane streets, but the other streets also have (some) less traffic.

Oct. 22 2009 10:25 AM
Paul from Manhattan

Cars regularly kill and injure bikers. Bikers never kill or injure drivers. An issue of safety for all who use the streets should not be a matter of popular choice or neighborhood veto.

Oct. 22 2009 10:21 AM
sarah

bike lanes would make me more likely to commute via bicycle...a little inconvenience for merchants is a small price to pay for a more civilized nyc.

Oct. 22 2009 10:20 AM
Adam Martin from Prospect Heights, Brooklyn

I'm listening to the discussion about removing the Grand Street bike lane. I commute home on that street every day from my job on Varick to the Manhattan Bridge, as I know many others do. If the lane is removed, there won't be any safe route from east to west for blocks in any direction. I understand the problem for merchants, so maybe the solution is to have certain off-peak times at which trucks could access the space. I'm sure cyclists would be willing to give up an hour of bike lane a day if the only alternative was removing it altogether.

Oct. 22 2009 10:20 AM
mbrooklyn from greenpoint

the pulaski bridge between greenpoint and LIC is a perfect storm for competing transportation agendas! does andrea have any insight?

Oct. 22 2009 10:20 AM
barbara knapp from manhattan

Bill Thompson said during the debates he was for improving the incidents of asthma in the city. If he is getting rid of more bicycle lanes, then how does that square with improving health.

He also complains about the city only caring about business, not people - yet here he is siding with a few business interests over the greater good.

Oct. 22 2009 10:20 AM
Niall from Sunnyside

We desperately need protected north/south bike lanes on the east side of Manhattan.

Oct. 22 2009 10:19 AM
Chuck from Brookyn

If there is one thing this city needs is less cars trucks.

Even before the bike lanes delivery trucks blocked traffic. 3 deep sometime!

This delivery truck thing is bull. Have them make their deliveries between 1 and 5 am in the morning like a civilized city.

Oct. 22 2009 10:19 AM
Philip from Bronx

I ride my bike around my Bronx neighborhood to do all my errands and think the problem is that cyclists are last in the priority check list for drivers. It seems many drivers disregard my presence when they turn into parking lots or make turns at intersection. They look for pedestrians and other cars only and dont look for other cyclists. I have almost been hit by turning cars and swinging doors many times.

I think bike lanes are a great idea and, honestly, I am concerned about Thompson's opposition to bike lanes. I am leaning towards voting for him but it is quality of life issues like this that are very important in local elections.

Oct. 22 2009 10:19 AM
Deike from Brooklyn Heights

Please, more bike lanes!
I'm from Germany and lived and biked in Berlin
for a long time.
When I moved to NYC one of the first things I bought was a bike. I take Grand Street all the time when I come home from work and I love it!

Oct. 22 2009 10:19 AM
Maggie from Upper West Side

Isnt there a safer less interruptive alternative to Grand St?

Oct. 22 2009 10:19 AM
Lisa Sladkus from Upper West Side

This show just solidified my support for Bloomberg. The streets are public space and should be used as such. Why are we prioritizing people driving through our neighborhoods in their private automobiles versus prioritizing community, SAFETY, and green transportation? People need to be OPEN to change.

Oct. 22 2009 10:18 AM
Suki from Williamsburg

Oh come on, as if the delivery trucks don't park in bike lanes...

Oct. 22 2009 10:18 AM
Robyn from Upper West Side

Even though I don't bike because I don't think it is safe, I am all in favor of increasing bike lanes. However, I think if bicyclists want more road space and more respect there has to be a crack down on bicyclists following traffic laws, I see dozens flouting them every day. I was hit once by someone on a bike going the wrong way against the light. Now I am much more careful but have still had many near-misses. They can't expect to share the road with cars and pedestrians and not obey traffic laws!

Oct. 22 2009 10:18 AM
Mike from Park Slope

> ALSO- police must start ticketing cyclists who don't wear helmets.

Helmets aren't required for adults as far as I know.

The Grand Street bike lane is a mess, if only because people in that area have no sense of the division between the street and the sidewalks and the various lanes.

Cutting down on traffic in Chinatown is a good thing IMO. As far as deliveries are concerned, they ought to eliminate the parking on Grand Street.

Oct. 22 2009 10:17 AM
Ellen from Brooklyn

There is an inconsistency in how bike lanes are designed from area to area, which is confusing to cyclists as well as cars........on some one way streets, the bike lane is to the left; on some it is on the right side....it's not safe. The cyclists are either confused or they just ride where they want to (sometimes down the center of the street).......

On Kent Ave, which is now one way, the design is a mess and very awkward. Parking on both sides of the single driving lane.....so when a delivery trucks tries to parks into a too tiny space, it completely stops traffic. Happens more frequently than one would think. The flow of traffic has stopped.

Oct. 22 2009 10:17 AM
anonymous from manhattan

i could not love the bike lanes more. all of the examples you are talking about are amazing and a huge quality of life upgrade. the only problem is that they are not much respected by both pedestrians and cars/trucks. i think a little education and outreach (and time) could resolve those problems. jeannette sadik-khan has done an incredible job, and i am leaning heavily toward voting for bloomberg based on her work alone.

Oct. 22 2009 10:17 AM
John from Clinton Hill

At least once a week I notice a new bike lane or traffic calming measure on my rides through Brooklyn and Manhattan. It has really made a difference in the way I get around the city and makes me feel safe.
I've never voted for a Republican in my life, but this particular bit of politics affects my life more than any other piece in the mayoral puzzle. I will probably vote for Bloomberg, as a way of voting for Sadik-Kahn.

Oct. 22 2009 10:17 AM
Maggie from Upper West Side

What about fines on Bikes that violate traffic laws? Runnning red lights, going the wrong way, etc.?

Oct. 22 2009 10:17 AM
adam rosenthal from 217 grand street

i use it every day to ride to work at 217 grand street. its the greatest thing ever. grand street was always jammed before the bike lane, and now after. no difference, except that now i can ride my bike safely. why is it a bad thing to take road away from cars which pollute the air with fumes and noise.

Oct. 22 2009 10:16 AM
gita nandan from brooklyn

i am a daily bike commuter, i commute from redhook to bushwick (30minutes each way) every day. and for the first time, i feel that the city is finally acknoweldging, and making this type of transportation safe, and easier. as these bike lanes arrive, i notice a great deal more bikers on the street. remember biking is a non-toxic healthy, zero carbon way of transporting oneself! drivers need to share the road, and new yorkers need to understand that safer biking is better for environment, health, city.
multiplicity of transport options is a great thing.
the grand street installation should be installed in more locations.
i will not vote for bill thompson based solely on this issue.

Oct. 22 2009 10:16 AM
Patrick McNulty from Brooklyn, NY

How about putting the bike lane between the parked cars and the curb? This creates a buffer and maintains parking spaces. Anyone suggesting getting rid of bike lanes in today's world is blind to the issues of our city and environment.

Oct. 22 2009 10:16 AM
MFan

Wow. As much as I was disenchanted with Bloomberg, this just pushed me over the edge against the possiblity of even voting for Thompson. Hearing this makes me think of Thompson, who admitedly I didn't know much about, as a shallow opportunist. Bloomberg '09.

Biking through the city often feels like running with the bulls, and even the safest biker is taking their life in their own hands every day. Bike lanes make the streets safer, but if they're not separated, they're just paint on the street. It's disgusting that he would cave to petty businessmen and hollow sensationalism.
The new approach to the manhattan bridge (on the BK side) is incredible. It's just that once you get on the manhattan side, and have to start dodging the crazy chinatown truck drivers, that you start to realize how neccesary that barrier is.

Oct. 22 2009 10:16 AM
Maggie from Upper West Side

I am a Bike user only in Brooklyn because its the fastest way to get anywhere in Brooklyn. Expansion is needed in Brooklyn. Brooklyn drivers are horrible. Bikes need protection. Bike lans should be in safer less congested streets to assure biker's safety.

Oct. 22 2009 10:16 AM
Linda from East Village

What Andrea just said about Mayor Bloomberg re-defining the meaning of roads in NY strikes me as absolutely on target. He's treating the streets not as traffic lanes, but as real estate.

Oct. 22 2009 10:16 AM
Cap'n Transit from Queens

The Grand Street controversy (which was not as unpopular as Ferrara argues) is not about bike lanes, it's about double parking. There are loading zones to replace the double parking, but they are not active during weekends.

Double parking is a scourge on this city. It blocks cars, buses and bikes, and causes fatal crashes. But lots of motorists are used to it, and get upset when it's taken away.

Oct. 22 2009 10:16 AM
Sara from Greenpoint

The Kent Ave. bike lane has changed my life. It is so easy to commute to Manhattan now. I feel safe. Now we just need to work on the mess that exists at the Manhattan side base of the Williamsburg Bridge....

Oct. 22 2009 10:15 AM
Inquisigal from Brooklyn, NY

As someone who bikes to work everyday, I feel much safer riding in my designated bike lane.

As far as the Grand Street lane goes; downtown is already a constant traffic snarl. Instead of getting rid of the bike lane, why not get rid of
allowing people to park on some of these streets? It's insane that anyone besides commercial vehicles drives through this part of the city. Shame on Thompson to say that he wants to get rid of this and other bike lanes.

Oct. 22 2009 10:15 AM
zachary from Brooklyn

Cry me a river! I walk, bike and drive throughout the City. Bike lanes never cause me any trouble. They make it easier to bike AND drive because I don't almost hit cyclists since they have their own lane.

Oct. 22 2009 10:15 AM
Jim from Brooklyn

The Grand St bike lane may be protected from cars and trucks, but it is lethally choked with pedestrians who seem even more oblivious to the bike lane than pedestrians in the rest of the city! I avoid it at all costs on my commute.

Oct. 22 2009 10:15 AM
adam from fort greene

Bike lanes and Bill Thompson's promise to fire all of Bloomberg's commissioners (including the transportation commissioner that was mentioned) is probably the number 1 reason I cannot vote for Thompson. I oppose term limits just as much as the next fed-up New Yorker, but as a biker these lanes make the city a safer place to be. It's actually a life/death issue, not an issue of principle, and it's obvious that Thompson doesn't take it that seriously.

Oct. 22 2009 10:14 AM
Caitlin from Jersey City

Janette Sadik-Khan is probably my favorite thing about Bloomberg! It's finally possible to find a seat in Harold Square at lunch time now that the street is closed.

If Thompson's only platform is "everything Bloomberg does is wrong" he's going to end up throwing the baby out with the bathwater (or he would, if he could get himself elected, which I doubt he will only by running with "I'm not the other guy".)

Oct. 22 2009 10:14 AM
Suki from Williamsburg

Grand street / Chinatown is a flustercluck ANYWAY. It's not as if anybody could drive down Grand St. pre-bike lane.

Most of your patrons are on foot, get over yourselves, merchants.

Oct. 22 2009 10:14 AM
Alistair Wallace from midtown

The problem with protected bike lanes as they exist so far in New York is that there is no barrier between the lane and the side walk- essentially pedestrians see it as an extension of the sidewalk. As a bicyclist I find them far more unsafe than riding in traffic- I'm constantly almost running over pedestrians who step off the curb without looking. There needs to be a low fence along the curb, like in Paris.

Oct. 22 2009 10:14 AM
Chuck from Brookyn

Why should people be consulted when there are bike lanes added? They are added on an existing street They confer with the community board.

I see more and more people on bikes. Roads are not just for cars. There are also bikes, scooters, motorcycles, etc.

It's very frustrating that people in big cars and trucks feel that might is right.

Oct. 22 2009 10:14 AM
Elizabeth from Brooklyn

Bicyclists are killed in the dozens every year in the city. How often are double parkers killed?
Again, if Thompson is taking this up as some important reason to oppose Bloomberg he's on the wrong track and doesn't have my vote.

Oct. 22 2009 10:13 AM
sheila from Manhattan

I've been asking the city (and been ignored) for a year to enable busses to be equipped to carry bikes across and up/downtown as they do in Los Angeles and many other cities. That would increase the numbers of bikes in use. For example to go from the East side to the bike lane on the West Side Highway would require riding in traffic or walking the bike all the way across town. How can I get someone to pay attention?

Oct. 22 2009 10:13 AM
hjs from 11211

Andrea
when is it legal to double park?

Oct. 22 2009 10:12 AM
Suki from Williamsburg

This is just a foreshadowing of the excuses Thompson will make for not getting anything done. FAIL.

Oct. 22 2009 10:11 AM
Chuck from Brookyn

There should be more bike lanes. If Thompson is against bike lanes I am against him. Also, the police need to start ticketing double parking in the bike lanes.

In Brooklyn, Kent Avenue is much safer and quieter since the bike lanes.

The bike lanes need a raised curb or some sort of marker. Unfortunately many motorists are more concerned with dinging there car on something than hitting a person on their bike.

Oct. 22 2009 10:08 AM
hjs from 11211

in one of the democratic debates thompson was against the new bike lanes. this step back is one reason I can't vote for him.
in europe the bike lanes are protected by a raised curb making it much safe for bike riders.
in NYC I've noticed more and more bike riders riding on the sidewalks, I assume it's because they feel unsafe on the streets, but now I'm unsafe on the sidewalk.
why do car owner's rights always trump everyone else's?

Oct. 22 2009 09:32 AM
bernard joseph from brooklyn

there should be more bike lanes, not less...this is good for the city for so many reasons. BUT, the city and the nypd must start enforcing the laws that bicyclists consistently disregard. if you want cars to respect your right to exist then you must respect theirs and those of pedestrians especially. that is not happening now and there is a real arrogance that is rampant amongst alot of cyclists in nyc. i.e.- running pedestrians down on the bklyn bridge walkway or not adhering to the laws on the street, like flying through intersections and pedestrian walkways.
ALSO- police must start ticketing cyclists who don't wear helmets.

Oct. 22 2009 09:17 AM
Gabrielle from Brooklyn

I hear that Bill Thompson wants to remove many of the bike lanes. Does your guest know why he proposes to do this and how much sense it makes? In my neighborhood, they had to fix the logistics of the Kent Ave bike lane and I hear business owners still arent happy.

thanks