Meet the Candidates: Call Christine Quinn

Friday, September 06, 2013

Council Speaker Christine Quinn accepts the endorsements of Teamsters Joint District 16 on June 17, 2013. (Anna Sale/WNYC)

Our final round of mayoral primary candidate interviews concludes with City Council Speaker Christine Quinn. She discusses her strategy over the next four days, her policy proposals, and takes your calls. If you have a questions for Christine Quinn, call 212-433-9692 or post here.

Christine Quinn

Liberal from NYC

No Denying - out of all the DEM's she is most qualified to be mayor.
BTW: the job Quinn has held for the past 8 years is a 'Real' job - a big and heavy-handed job.

Sep. 07 2013 06:55 PM
David from New York, NY

OMG! I CANNOT WAIT until she loses on Tuesday!!! A vote for her is a vote for the return of Tammany Hall politics. Here's the question I would have asked: Christine, have you ever had a REAL job?????? And, why couldn't she answer a question, any question, without making it about Bill de Blasio? Her VOICE even grates on my nerves!! PLEASE, GO AWAY!!!!!!!

Sep. 07 2013 01:34 PM
Melissa

I was very disappointed that no one, including Brian Lehrer, asked Quinn about her relationship with Vito Lopez, as detailed in a report that aired last week on WNYC.

Sep. 07 2013 12:24 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

I'm a Quinn constituent, as well. "Chris" Quinn carrying our district is like Giuliani carrying NYS in his presidential bid. We're not buying it; we've had enough of her simply not showing up for us.

Sep. 06 2013 11:14 AM
LBP from District 3 from West Village, NYC

As an elderly constituent of Christine Quinn's District #3, prior to her mayoral campaign, Christine Quinn has NOT shown up at one meeting, rally, demonstration, or protest march of community concern that I have attended throughout the years; I show up for the important ones, i.e., Spectra pipeline with its high radon content.

It is tiresome to hear: "It is not surprising that Christine Quinn is NOT here." Because she did not show up for her District, one cannot expect her to attend to the needs of an entire city. Hence, it is unconscionable that Christine Quinn is trying to become mayor of the entire city.

Sep. 06 2013 10:58 AM
carl from queens

Regarding stop and frisk, I'm not a cop, but my guess is that the police, being experienced professionals, have a feel for who is committing the crimes, that's why we rarely see them stop little old ladies. Maybe it is unconstitutional. But what is the alternative, more innocent people being victims of crime, which leads to more police expense, which will be paid for by people who live in low crime areas? I haven't seen a cop on my block in 5 years that I have been living in my neighborhood.. How you look is how they bill you. Put on the cheapest suit, along with the cheapest tie, and I'll bet you never get stopped .

Sep. 06 2013 10:36 AM
Nina from NYC

Did she refer to "Trump City" like it was a legitimate term? Eew.

Sep. 06 2013 10:36 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

blacksocialist - Giff MIller? What old trunk did you find him in? Too right--make this woman go far away, quickly, voters!

Sep. 06 2013 10:35 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

Quinn has proven that she is in the pocket of the developers who'll make it impossible for the ordinary person to live in New York City. In her own district, handing St. Vincent's Hospital to the Rudins, robbing the west of Downtown a vital trauma center, was egregious to young and old--and against the desire of her constituents.

She also ushered in the quick overdevelopment of Chelsea Market, already a traffic and pedestrian nightmare. There will be 4,000 to 5,000 additional workers in this building, every day--without any planning process for neighborhood impact, be it access to transportation, density, or reasonable access or exit from the building.

Quinn was nowhere to be found after the hurricane. After a week of no electricity or running water for much of our building, all she could do was divert some port-a-potties from the cancelled Marathon. Tell seniors they can descend 17 stories in complete darkness to use a port-a-potty on a darkened street--our building is dominated by their residency.

She knows "how to get things done" vis a vis schools? She's never spend a moment in a public school in her life, and has not made any progress on dropout rates, schools overcrowded by massive development, or reasonable thinking about the volume of standardized testing that's mounting out of control.

A vote for Quinn is a vote for more Bloomberg-style crony capitalism, and out-of-touch babbling on subjects with which she has zero experience. I feel that strongly, as a constituent who NEVER sees her in the community--just like the police who should be on the ground, rather than cruising in cars, to solve community crime issues. But Quinn's a master at calling a press conference when there's hate crime; then she'll run off in her black SUV, refusing to answer constituent questions. No thank you.

If we drank every time she mentions deBlasio, we'd already be quite drunk!

"Accessibility," Brian? You've conducted a majority of "interviews" with this candidate without allowing any calls or questions from the audience. Fail.

Sep. 06 2013 10:32 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

She will always be direct with her positions she says, except when it comes to term limits.

Sep. 06 2013 10:31 AM
Timothy from LA

Brian, please get her to answer the questions and stop making it about DeBlasio. He's not there, she is.

Answer the bloody questions. She's so shady. God, she can't become mayor.

Sep. 06 2013 10:29 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Was Chief Bratton hired in LA & Detroit to train their police how to do stop-&-frisks unconstitutionally? That's what Speaker Quinn seems to be implying. I wouldn't assume he wasn't hired to train them to do constitutional stop-&-frisks.

Sep. 06 2013 10:29 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

The kid killed in Flatbush, to my knowledge, was shot, not murdered.

Ray Kelly is not "widely despised" in the minority community.

That caller needs to go back to his marxist party meetings.

Sep. 06 2013 10:28 AM
Nina from NYC

How would marijuana be regulated? Legalizing weed is a quality of life issue for those who find the stench of it unbearable. I'm all for medicinal marijuana (esp having lost loved ones to cancer.) But I do not want to have that nasty skunk odor in my face everywhere all the time. The East Village is bad enough now.

Incense peddlers are bad enough.

Sep. 06 2013 10:26 AM

I guess Ms. Quinn is a grateful friend of Billie Tisch too?
[http://www.wnyc.org/shows/bl/2013/aug/15/common-core-and-test-scores/]

Where is the report?

What was the final bill?

Sep. 06 2013 10:25 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Nah, the constitutional rights-violating knucklehead who called in that day said 'black males', not 'group of males'...Don't rewrite history, Brian.

Sep. 06 2013 10:23 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Ah Craig: "Term limits are anti-democratic because they deprive the voters of a chance to vote for the candidates they prefer"

So Craig, using your logic - if voters VOTE FOR term limits but the Mayor and the Speaker, decide on their own, to reverse it, without the consent of the voters, is that democratic?

Sep. 06 2013 10:23 AM
Jimmy G from NYC

Please ask the speaker about her position on the NYPL central library plan and the selling off of branch libraries

Sep. 06 2013 10:22 AM
Michael D. D. White from Brooklyn Heights

On the sale for naming rights for subway stations: Quinn's dodge into a discussion of a possible win in terms of benefit simply ignores the fact that as, a practical matter, the amount of money being taken in from the sales of naming rights, say with the Ratner/Prokhorov "Barclays" arena, is bupkis.

Noticing New York has written a lot about this.

Sep. 06 2013 10:21 AM
blacksocialist from BKbaby

within a month, hopefully, she will have disappeared just as Gifford Miller.....

Sep. 06 2013 10:20 AM
Amy from Manhattan

A bigger issue for me is that Speaker Quinn single-handedly blocked a vote on paid medical leave for workers in NYC--until she was running for mayor. Why wait till then to find a compromise? I find the timing suspicious.

On the statement at the beginning of the segment (from an editorial? I missed the attribution) that the 2 previous mayors were elected to give adult supervision, what?? They think NYC liberals don't consider other NYC liberals "adults"?

Sep. 06 2013 10:19 AM

Where is the report?

What was the final bill?

Sep. 06 2013 10:18 AM
Leah Kozak from South Bronx, NYC

Please ask Quinn: You are now promising a living wage to all EDC projects (see bit.ly/19jyNM9). Why didn't you apply living wage to the controversial EDC Fresh Direct deal when it was first announced?

Sep. 06 2013 10:18 AM
Craig from East Village

"Term limits" is and should have been a non-issue. Term limits are anti-democratic because they deprive the voters of a chance to vote for the candidates they prefer once those office-holders have reached their term limits. The way to impose term limits on office-holders is to vote them out of office during the primary or general elections.

I am STILL undecided just 5 days before the primary, but candidates' positions on term limits will not be among my criteria in making my final decision.

Sep. 06 2013 10:17 AM
Robert from NYC

I'm going to have to shower after this segment. Well, I have to shower anyway but had I already showered I have to shower again.

Sep. 06 2013 10:17 AM

Bad, bad policy for Quinn to spend all her time attacking De Blasio. She's, if anything, MUCH more two-faced than he is -- reversing herself on sick leave etc.

Sep. 06 2013 10:17 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Oh Quinn, you are such a phony.

Sep. 06 2013 10:15 AM

People are so dumb.

The same people who voted thrice for mike. That's 3 time the people voted bloomie in
Who gave prince mike a third term? The voters! Who? YOU!!

Sep. 06 2013 10:15 AM
Lorne Joel from New York

Can the candidate comment on the unbridled lust for money that the NYC Finance Dept. has for money by handing out tickets and making drivers pariahs in their own city?

I've had ticket writers block my car from leaving a spot after I read the list of signs on a pole, so that they could write me a ticket. I've had these leaches walk up to my car while I was in it, running, scan my registration and walk away ignoring me. I've tried to ask a couple if I can park in a spot and then they wrote me a ticket for parking and most frustrating, if these aren't already insulting and enough to make you pop a vein, was that Ms. Quinn's representatives told me to get a 6 month delay and when one of her reps said I did, I had my car towed and paid $700 plus to get it out from two tickets I was fighting.

The finance department seems to have no overseer, no ombudsman, no responsibility to the public and only make every effort to write tickets and ignore the fact that when signs aren't even on posts and the resident pays the parking, they still get a ticket despite having pictures for the entire block that show no signs.

I guess it's welcome to New York with a middle finger. Have a nice day too. So what can and should be done about this running roughshod over drivers?

Would love to hear a response to this.

Sep. 06 2013 10:15 AM
John from NYC

Related to the discussion but for another day, can Brian please invite a guest who can discuss the topic of referendums in New York City government. Why did it take a wealthy resident of Manhattan to even get these two referendums to a vote? Would Mr. Lauder be receptive to a discussion?
What is the process for a person or group get to even introduce a referendum?

Sep. 06 2013 10:15 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

This "financial crisis" excuse for handing Bloomberg a third term, against the voter referendum against it, is exactly why we should not elect "Chris" Quinn. It follows exactly the Bloomber dictum: "I know what's better more than you. I don't care what you think." A level of arrogance New York can do without.

This isn't about an "unpopular decision" you're making for the greater good--it's about ignoring the will of the electorate--big difference! And it's not the first or last gross error--I'm a Quinn constituent.

That Quinn can only point outward, to deBlasio's supposed change of mind on anything, is proof she has little of substance to say about her "record."

Sep. 06 2013 10:15 AM
Dan from Brooklyn

Can Quinn answer a question without referencing DeBlasio?

Sep. 06 2013 10:14 AM
Jennifer from Upper West Side Manhattan

Does Christine Quinn have a plan for the carriage horses in Central Park? Will she keep them or let them humanely live out their lives in a comfortable environment?

Sep. 06 2013 10:13 AM
Robert from manhatta

Why did she not support living wages for the controversial Fresh Direct giveaway, another EDC project that would lavish taxpayer monies on unwanted and poverty wage-paying corporations?

Sep. 06 2013 10:13 AM
blacksocialist from BKbaby

she's vile

Sep. 06 2013 10:13 AM

Gee - I always thought that she went along to avoid Bloomberg attacks on her as an embezzler.

Sep. 06 2013 10:13 AM
Jeremy C from Ditmas Park

I'd like to hear some elaboration on Quinn's commitment to Medical Marijuana. I have Crohn's disease and this is a issue central to my voting.

Sep. 06 2013 10:12 AM
Robert from NYC

Stop making this about de Blasio, this question was put to you and your choice.

Sep. 06 2013 10:12 AM
Robert from NYC

Stop the baloney Christine, you wanted to give the voters another chance for what!!! We already voted TWICE, TWO TIMES for term limits. Got it. We voted TWICE for them we didn't need the third chance you claim you wanted to give us.

Sep. 06 2013 10:11 AM
ann from NYC

How about the massive NYU development just below Washington Square? 30-story buildings amidst 3-story brownstones. How does that preserve historic Greenwich Village? You're in the pocket of real estate developers.

Sep. 06 2013 10:09 AM
hilts

Brian,

Shame on you for opening this segment with Christine Quinn by posing one of those nauseating horse race questions. I thought you and WNYC were the alternative to the herd like MSM that focuses on who's up and who's down in the polls.

Sep. 06 2013 10:08 AM
Michael Altobello from Manhatan, Queens, Upstate NY

If possible, could Speaker Quinn take a minute to comment on her position on the OCME? (Medical Examine) She seems to have a bit of a vendetta against that office. And I'm just curious why?

Thanks

Sep. 06 2013 10:07 AM
Michael D. D. White from Brooklyn Heights

Citizens Defending Libraries has issued a recommendation against voting for Quinn based on her favoring of selling and shrinking libraries and her toleration of the current underfunding of libraries.

See: Citizens Defending Libraries First Election Recommendation: NO to Christine Quinn, Who Favors Selling & Shrinking Libraries

Sep. 06 2013 10:07 AM

Is Ms. Quinn ever going to be asked where the official reports for the investigations into her role in the city council's Embezzlement Scheme?

She often mentions an inability to answer because of U.S. Attorney and NYC Dept. of Investigations. Are there other any other investigations?

What did the City of New York pay for her legal representation in the scandal? It seems to have amounted to $95000.00 back in 2008.

Sep. 06 2013 10:07 AM
Nathaniel from Roosevelt Island

On the issue of housing discrimination, Before being elected to being Speaker, Quinn expressed support for a bill that required Coop boards to explain new tenant rejections. But once elevated Quinn withdrew her support! This is an amazingly hypocritical flip flop. Housing discrimination hurts all New Yorkers has to end and take steps to end it.

Sep. 06 2013 10:07 AM
Jenny from Brooklyn

About the wealthy and taxes. I am very progressive, but I don't get DiBlasio's proposal bc I thought all income taxes are decided in Albany - that the NYC mayor doesn't have that power. So what is he talking about? Also, I am wary of massive tax increases for property owners bc they will only raise rent.

Isn't there a better way to deal with income inequities?

Sep. 06 2013 10:05 AM
JJ from nyc

Seriously considering Quinn would be a more stable and responsible voting choice.
At least she isn't making pie-in-the-sky promises about how awesome things are going to be once we 'tax the rich.' I wish things really were that easy-peasy.
She is keeping things real. I cannot vote in primaries however, I am not a registered DEM. in NYC.

Sep. 06 2013 10:03 AM

She often mentions an inability to answer because of U.S. Attorney and NYC Dept. of Investigations investigation. Are there other any other investigations?

Sep. 06 2013 09:09 AM