Dinner Party On!

Friday, October 09, 2009

Tamara Reynolds and Zora O'Neill , two food bloggers who run a Queens dining club, "The Sunday Night Dinner", discuss their new book, Forking Fantastic!: Put the Party Back in Dinner Party.

Zora O’Neill and Tamara Reynolds
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

tom f. from brooklyn

So refreshing and inspiring. down with the martha stewart/masa-boulud-bernardin tyranny. It's just a retail-restaurant complex that drives consumption and really doesn't have anything to do with eating and socializing.

Zora and Tamara are great!

Oct. 11 2009 10:12 AM
Zora from Astoria, Queens

Oh! We forgot to mention: We'll be signing books at Word in Greenpoint on Sunday night, 6 pm. Potluck food and lots of wine, to sweeten the deal... More info here:

Oct. 09 2009 03:49 PM
mark from Brooklyn

"Have a nice night, even if you are dining alone," Brian signed off. Really, "even" if alone? Thanks.

Oct. 09 2009 12:53 PM
Elizabeth O'Connor from Woodside, Queens

Being a return guest at Sunday Night Dinners in Astoria, I can verify what a great party it is! Funny enough, I learned about the girls while listening to a 2007 Brian Lehrer podcast about underground dinner parties. I contacted them via e-mail immediately. Within 2 weeks, I was sitting in a backyard garden at a gorgeous table, eclectically decorated with beautiful mix-matched cutlery and plates and cloth dinner napkins. The dishes were amazing and kept on coming. I still rave about it to friends. It was the exact community boost I needed in a city that so often forgets to get together with friends for these types of gatherings. They are such great hosts and the food is to die for. So grateful that these types of folks exist and share their homes and talents with us.

Oct. 09 2009 12:30 PM
Jaime from Village

These ladies really know how to throw a knock-out dinner party. I have attended several of their tasty, memorable, festive, life-affirming events. They aren't particularly high on themselves, but I am certainly high on them.

Oct. 09 2009 12:20 PM
Robert from NYC

I have dinner parties because I love to cook. Small kitchen, nice size living room and NEVER paper plates. China, I bought the 12 serving set many years ago from Macy's really cheap ($300?) and that's what I use because why save it!! Not silverware but good flatware set. We have fun and NEVER polyester or blend napkins either cotton or linen (on sale very cheap) I use to seek out bargains and used to buy buy buy when I had money and a job a hundred years ago. Do it guys it's fun you'll feel good... after you've done the dishes. My guests never do the dishes or anything they come and I insist on just serving them. It's their night out.

Oct. 09 2009 12:05 PM
Liza

These chicks are kind of high on themselves.

I lived in a co-op in college and we did dirty stuff like drink out of jars. I am over it!

Oct. 09 2009 11:54 AM
John from Bergen County NJ

an Ice breaker - famous person on back you get 3 guesses
guest bingo.
A round table. Everyone can see each other.

you should know 65% of the people attending.

Oct. 09 2009 11:53 AM
Betty Anne from UES

Oh and one more thing I throw together a quick fabulous Sangria.

1 Bottle of any red wine.
1/2 Chopped fruit in Brandy.
1/2 cup 7up.
1/2 Orange Juice
1/2 Other fruit Juice.

Serve over ice.

Oct. 09 2009 11:53 AM
Betty Anne from UES

Oh and one more thing I throw together a quick fabulous Sangria.

1 Bottle of any red wine.
1/2 Chopped fruit in Brandy.
1/2 cup 7up.
1/2 Orange Juice
1/2 Other fruit Juice.

Serve over ice.

Oct. 09 2009 11:52 AM
Nancy from NYC

Would love to hear your guests' suggestion on how I could do dinner parties in my 200 square foot apartment!

Oct. 09 2009 11:52 AM
Betty Anne from UES

I use the Ina Garten golden rule for cooking for people. Make only 3 very GOOD things. This always works and it is really less stressful.

Also potlucks are awesome!!!

Oct. 09 2009 11:51 AM
Frances Batt from NYC

Ooooh I've heard of these ladies, please tell how do you get on dinner invite list!

Oct. 09 2009 11:47 AM
Frances from NYC

Oooooh I've heard of these ladies; how do we get on dinner invite list?

Oct. 09 2009 11:44 AM
Danny from Brooklyn

Dinner Party as a topic Really! But anyway a nice dinner party ahh the foods the um... foods and uh guu dou..........THE FOODS!!!!

Oct. 09 2009 10:19 AM