Library Award Finalists

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Nominations for the NYC Neighborhood Library Awards topped 4,300, now find out the 10 finalists. Julie Sandorf, president of the Charles H. Revson Foundation, is joined by contest judges Fatima Shama, NYC Immigrant Affairs commissioner, and Kurt Andersen, host of Studio 360, to announce the finalists and discuss the judging process and the prizes.

The Finalists Are:

•Aguilar Library – East Harlem South (Manhattan)

•Corona Library – North Corona (Queens)

•Kings Bay Library – Sheepshead Bay/Gerritsen Beach/Manhattan Beach (Brooklyn)

•Macon Library – Bedford-Stuyvesant/Stuyvesant Heights (Brooklyn)

•New Dorp Library – New Dorp/Midland Beach (Staten Island)

•Parkchester Library – Parkchester (the Bronx)

•Queens Village Library – Queens Village (Queens)

•Seward Park Library – Lower East Side (Manhattan)

•Sheepshead Bay Library – Sheepshead Bay (Brooklyn)

•Tremont Library – Claremont/Bathgate (the Bronx)

Kurt Andersen, Julie Sandorf and Fatima Shama

jessica

So excited to hear that Tremont Library is nominated! This branch is truly amazing! It is a beautiful building and the staff is so helpful and professional. Neat displays and so clean;a very welcoming place to study and read. I know that my younger cousins love the events for children and often make crafts, plays, read and have puppet shows and dance programs. I like that they enjoy this place. I have never had a dull experience here. It really is a model library!

Sep. 05 2013 07:54 PM
Keira from Manhattan

To take up Mr. Andersen's point, at its basic and essential level a library is still a place where one may go to access a huge diversity of books —for free! My local branch is Mott Street, which is a beautifully designed and situated building, tucked away on tiny Jersey Street (and right around the corner from a CitBike station : ). But for me the glory of the NYPL is its online service and as much as I love my local branch I basically use it as a pickup station after being informed by email that my book is "ready for pickup". I am usually in and out within 5 minutes. With this system my "local branch" really becomes all 206 branches stretching from the Bronx to Staten Island.

Sep. 04 2013 02:30 PM
Steve Barrison from Mid-town & Brooklyn

This entire project is fantastic that you are highlighting libraries in our city. Our neighborhoood book temples need support, financing and appreciation for the multifaceted contributions they provide especially unique after Sandy. The two stand outs are the two Sheepshead Bay branches you recognized today on your show and they deserve the award and support from our city and your neighborhood library award. Thank you for all you do.

Sep. 04 2013 11:47 AM
Mike from Tribeca

Allow me to belatedly put in a good word for my neighborhood library, the tiny New Amsterdam branch (half a block west of City Hall), or as I like to think of it, "The Little Library That Could." Alas, as the residential population of the neighborhood has grown larger in recent years, the size of the New Amsterdam branch hasn't.

Sep. 04 2013 10:57 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

I am a reader - always have been - and I have so many choices now, including buying books, borrowing books (both hard copy and e-books) from the library, reading someone else's newspapers upside down on the train, etc. But, I am also Jewish and since I can't use my e-reader on the holidays and Shabbos, I will stop off at my local library on my way home today so that I have something to read for the next three days.

I did nominate my library, which did not make the list, but we have lots of mind candy there and not much of substance. I just hope there's something decent when I get there this afternoon.

Sep. 04 2013 10:48 AM
Betty Diana Arce from Norwood, Bronx, NY

My library, Mosholu, did not make it to the finals but I just wanted to give it a shout out for its accessibility to the many diverse ethnic communities in the Norwood area of the Bronx. From ESL classes to knitting circles, help with how to use the internet, and the many events for children, providing access to laptops and computers, and the wonderful selection of books, DVDs, and CDs, this branch is an active and viable resource.

Sep. 04 2013 10:38 AM