Meet the Candidates: Call Bill Thompson

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Mayoral candidate Bill Thompson. Mayoral candidate Bill Thompson. (Stephen Nessen/WNYC)

Our last round of candidate interviews before the mayoral primary continues. Bill Thompson discusses his policy proposals, his final-week campaign strategy, and takes listener calls. Got a question for candidate Thompson? Call 212-433-9692.

Bill Thompson

Roy from Queens

I'd like to know if any of the candidates will be friendly to the film and TV industry when filming here, since it gives jobs to both actors (like me) and production crew members.

Sep. 04 2013 11:58 AM
Deborah

given DiBlasio's promise to tax the rich to raise funds , what relationship with the wealthy does he hope to establish with the wealthy to quarantee their positive support for the city of New York

Sep. 04 2013 10:56 AM
Katherine from Manhattan

Tell me what you think about the recent 9% hike on rent stabilized tenants?
9% for the next two years? Who is getting a 9% raise or interest in a bank or CD? What will you do to even the playing field for lower middleclass renters. The Rent Board is comprised of landlord advocates. 9%?

Sep. 04 2013 10:32 AM
Elsie from Brooklyn

Thompson is full of it. All of his money comes from Wall Street and he himself is a member of the 1% - so it's little wonder he doesn't want to raise taxes on the wealthy.

The only reason the unions are supporting him is because he's made deals with them. The union leaders are making these decisions without consulting their own members. I'm a member of two unions and neither asked for our input when deciding who they were supporting. Frankly, the unions are as corrupt as the politicians now, so getting union support means that the wealthy people running the unions (wealthy from lining their pockets with workers' dues) are supporting someone who will make them wealthier. They are all the same.

Sep. 04 2013 10:31 AM
lk from brooklyn

There is only one candidate who will be able to give more services because he knows the numbers and that is John Liu. He has saved the City 4 BILLION dollars. He will stop hiring all the private contractors who get paid $175-$250 an hour and get back to using and hiring City workers. Our money has gone to private contractors and in the schools to testing companies and testers. John Liu is the only candidate who hasn't flip flopped. He has enormous support but there has been a witch hunt for him and a news blackout on him.

Sep. 04 2013 10:27 AM

"At the same point …"

Sep. 04 2013 10:24 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I think I'm going to vote for Thompson, if he makes through the primary. The city is overdue for a moderate and reasonable AFrican-American mayor. I agree that this class warfare and threat to raise taxes on the luckiest of us is only going to do to NYC what it did back in the '60s and '70s, and chase productive people out. We've been down this road too many times.

Sep. 04 2013 10:22 AM
April from Manhattan

I signed your petition to run because the man holding the petition told me you'd raise taxes on Wall St. True? I'm leaning towards voting for you. I understand the man who owns Gristedes provides white women with equal and good pay. Didn't get that impression from an African American who also works for Gristedes. There's a federal law. It shouldn't be an issue.

Sep. 04 2013 10:21 AM
jack from Brooklyn

Speaking of demagoguery, what specifically do you mean when you say you are for improving education?

Sep. 04 2013 10:21 AM
gene from NYC

His campaign chair, Merry Tisch, is from the vile Tisch family, whose Lorillard tobacco co. (Newport) killed huge numbers of black (and white) people with their menthol cigarettes--all while they knew far better than anyone the dire health effects of their product.

Remember "I believe that nicotine is not addictive?" That was Andrew. her brother in law, while millions of families were destroyed by the premature deaths of their siblings, parents and grandparents.

10 years later, Lorillard was convicted of racketeering for misleading the American public about cigarettes. The verdict was recently upheld by the Supreme Court.

You want a mayoralty friendly with racketeers who saw no ethical problems whatsoever in selling cigs they knew were wildly addictive and horribly deadly?

Then vote for Thompson!

(I have no fave candidate; still waiting to decide the best of the worst)

Sep. 04 2013 10:18 AM
Peter H. from Brooklyn, NY

“Let me be blunt, so there’s no misunderstanding: I’m not raising taxes.”
--Bill Thompson
(Source: Association for a Better New York event, January 17, 2013,
cited at http://gothamschools.org/2013-mayoral-race/#div-budget-2)

That was to a business group.

Sep. 04 2013 10:17 AM
Josh Karan from Washington Heights

FOR ALL CANDIDATES

The question they never answer:

How are they going to pay the billions of dollars for all the programs they say they want when they try to appeal for the liberal vote.

I have not heard any of them answer this.

Sep. 04 2013 10:16 AM
Rich P from Long Island

I don't know if it was the strength of Bill Thompson's candidacy or the rebuke of a Bloomberg 3rd term that made the last election as close as it was.

Sep. 04 2013 10:14 AM