Bing vs. Google

Monday, October 05, 2009

Now that Microsoft's new search engine Bing has been live for several months, how is if faring against giant Google? Wired magazine's New York bureau chief John Abell examines the searching landscape.

John Abell

Gershon Nathan from Brooklyn, NY

I’ve tried Bing. I even signed up for a cash back account.

It DOES NOT come close to Google.

Oct. 13 2009 07:27 PM
Anthony from Jersey

I Googled 'Cezanne Watercolor images' and got maybee ten sites. Half of what came up were for a book available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble. After listening to your show this morning I thought to give Bing a try. It delivered over 5,ooo images of Cezanne's watercolors. No books. Just what I wanted.

Oct. 05 2009 07:37 PM
Cory from Manhattan

William, if you care about bing, just try it. Talking about it adds nothing. It's not like Brian has a knowledgeable guest techie explaining anything. Same with Letterman. Am I missing something, or are there real issues with real experts, or is Les Gelb and Afghanistan all there is?

Oct. 05 2009 11:15 AM
bing-less

[5] google maps does that-- has done it for 2+ years!

Oct. 05 2009 11:11 AM
Caitlin from Jersey City

If Bing is trying to beat Google with shopping searches, they've got some work to do. For example, google allows you to enter your own price range, while bing constrains you to their selection of $0-10, $10-25, $25-50, etc. What if I want to look at items between $17 and $64?

Oct. 05 2009 11:01 AM
simponsmovieblew

for those who grew up digitally resenting MSFT for its dominance and arrogance -- and started using google as soon as it appeared b/c it wasn't MSFT -- this is a pleasant situation indeed.

Oct. 05 2009 11:01 AM
William from Midtown

wow Cory...maybe you should just send in a list of topics to wnyc so that they can be sure to only have shows that interest you.

Oct. 05 2009 10:59 AM
Brian from Inwood

I'm a Microsoft product hater for years, but I must say I am VERY impressed with the travel functionality on Bing.

Also as a graphic designer, I cringe every time I see their squished Bing logo—yikes, what a disaster!

Oct. 05 2009 10:58 AM
Allen

Re: Default Search in Browser
In Safari and FireFox, yes, Google is the default search engine. In IE its whatever MS is doing.
Funny thing, however. In Safari, FireFox, IE, and even Chrome (Google's Browser), it is trivial to change the search engine.

Oct. 05 2009 10:58 AM
Ben from manhattan

The caller who mention google being built into browsers has never clicked next to the search bar. If you do, you get a drop down list of many search engines.

Oct. 05 2009 10:56 AM
Jennifer from NYC

What!? No i phone Brian!?!?!

Oct. 05 2009 10:56 AM
Michael from Rockville Centre,

Why does WNYC think we need to keep up with all the latest electronic gizmo.It's so boring.

Oct. 05 2009 10:56 AM
Terri from Brooklyn

I use both. My default is Google, but I've found Bing better for historical---or should I say, older---documents. Even when searching with the exact title of a document, it often doesn't appear on the first five or even ten pages of a Google search; on Bing, it's often on the first page.

Oct. 05 2009 10:55 AM
Jawad

I must say I gotta give it to Microsoft for thinking that they even have a chance to compete with Google. Thats guts and positive thinking there. Although its gonna be hard to get me off Google.

Oct. 05 2009 10:55 AM
brian from manhattan

i have completely switched over to bing when i need to use maps on the internet. bing's maps are far superior in many ways - the way it loads, navigates, and most importantly the quality of the aerial images. try the "birds eye" view on an address and you will know what i mean!

Oct. 05 2009 10:54 AM
Denice from Brooklyn

I'm not even remotely interested in trying Bing. I don't like or trust the Microsoft brand and am totally turned off by the commercials. I love Google, love Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs, need I go on?

When Google takes over the world I will eagerly become one of their drones.

Oct. 05 2009 10:54 AM
yourgo from Downtown

Bing Maps has one huge benefit over google that makes me use it. When you zoom on a location it offers a 'birds eye view' which is a satellite image at an angle perspective and it gives you all 4 perspectives of a location. Its a great feature. the image search looks nicer too.

Oct. 05 2009 10:52 AM
Cory from Manhattan

This must be the slowest news day/program of the year. Just play some music if nothing is going on.

Oct. 05 2009 10:50 AM
Tony from San Jose, CA

Nice to have the alternative... but not up to par.

Oct. 05 2009 10:35 AM
downtown from downtown

Tried it...probably won't go back - nice background pictures, tho.

Oct. 05 2009 10:22 AM
antonio from park slope

maybe when "bing" becomes a word in the lexicon, i.e. "hey I "googled" you and you won a noble prize.." google has a big advantage..

Oct. 05 2009 10:03 AM