Probiotics: Health or Hype?

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tara Parker-Pope, health columnist at the New York Times, talks about probiotics in food and whether there are real health benefits or if it's just a lot of hype.

Tara Parker-Pope

smidely

unfortunately that "Kosher Gelatin" in many probiotics including Activia? Scraped Cow Skin. Yeh, I called. Yuck!

Sep. 30 2009 12:59 PM
Ben

Have you guys tried kefir for probiotics? Google it and you can make it yourself from regular milk. We love it!

Sep. 30 2009 12:07 PM
Amanda McCoy from New York, NY

I use probiotic pills because the amount of probiotics in yogurt is minimal in comparison to what I can get in pill form. I was also initially as skeptical as many people are...but I have acid reflux and numerous stomach problems so I decided to give it a shot.
Not only have the probiotics helped my stomach, but it's helped my skin. My skin used to be dry and flaky and acne prone. While I still break out from time to time, it's obvious to me that my skin is healthier and has drastically changed. I also use a probiotic soap and this adds to the health of my skin. It's the only soap I've ever used that doesn't end up burning and drying out my overly sensitive face.
Whatever the argument over their effectiveness, it's obvious from people's replies that probiotics definitely do good for many.

Sep. 30 2009 12:05 PM
Paul from Ridgewood NJ

This is one of those great occasions where Dannon paying a $35 million fine is a win-win for everyone. The feds get some money that hopefully will go into research, and Dannon gets a lot of publicity for the money. The old saying: doesn't matter if the publicity is good or bad, just spell my name right.

Sep. 30 2009 11:57 AM
Karen from NYC

Plus, Activa has a lot of sugar -- stay with Stonyfeld or another "natural" yogurt.

Sep. 30 2009 11:51 AM
Lauren from Woodbury, NY

p.s. Initially taken for "Leaky gut syndrome" -- yes, helped that too. : )

Sep. 30 2009 11:51 AM
Laura from Westchester County

I try to eat yogurt with probiotics daily, and my preferred brand is yoplait's yoplus. I find that it really helps my digestion, and when I saw Pope's article I read it immediately. I wonder if she can speak to the Yoplus product and the specific strains it contains, and whether yoplait has encountered the same challenges as Dannon?

Sep. 30 2009 11:50 AM
jess from brooklyn

I've always had a really sensitive stomach-anything can set it off. However, I lived in France for a year and a half and had almost no problems. I thought about what was different in my life there, and I really think it was the yogurt. I never used to eat yogurt here, but I ate it twice a day in France because it's ridiculously delicious there. I kept eating it when I came back, but I don't think there's any comparison really, at least in taste. But my stomach is still a bit better.

Sep. 30 2009 11:50 AM
Lauren from Woodbury, NY

I've used Jarrow's "Jarrodophilous" for over 2 years now, and when I don't take it, and there's a bug going around, I get sick. Great Product!

Sep. 30 2009 11:48 AM
Karen from NYC

I'm not going on the air with this but --

I've had along history of digestive and lower intestinal problems, including colitis. Probiotics -- Stonyfield yogurt every day, plus a Solgar probiotic -- make a huge, and I do mean substantial, difference in how my digestive tract functions.

You don't need Activa -- any good yogurt will do, and you can take a pill form probiotic as well.

Sep. 30 2009 11:48 AM
rob-o-cop from ny

Well, It helps my wife, her mother and grandmother poop, so as far as I can tell it works

Sep. 30 2009 11:48 AM