Meet the Candidates: Call John Liu

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Comptroller and candidate for mayor John Liu. Comptroller and candidate for mayor John Liu. (Stephen Nessen/WNYC)

Our series of interviews with candidates for New York City mayor continues. Today: Comptroller John Liu discusses the latest news from the campaign trail and takes voters' calls.

Comptroller John Liu
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

William Nicolis from Disgusted on the train

736 Million in lawsuits?!?!? Pay up people. Your children deserve better than this. OUR children and grand kids deserve better. How shameful when the government is stuffing budgets down our throats and condoning the wasteful spending at the same time. Shame on you Liu and all of you corrupt politicians willfully taking advantage of the system like you were a completely able individual accepting public assistance while driving around in a Porsche. Shame on you!

Mar. 13 2014 06:01 AM

Before today's interview with Comptroller Liu, I had planned to vote for De Blasio. But after listening to today's interview, I've changed mind and am going to vote for Liu. I liked his stance on taxation -- that it should be progressive. I liked his stance on early childhood education -- not only should we have universal full-day pre-K but also universal preschool. I liked his stance on stop and frisk -- his refusal to split hairs about how to define the policy along with his presentation of the reasonable alternative of having police follow actual leads rather than just personal suspicions. His evident deep familiarity with the budget put him above De Blasio in my opinion.

Aug. 29 2013 11:43 AM
Amy from Manhattan

I appreciate the chance to ask my question about Mr. Liu's stance on stop-&-frisk. I don't think he answered it adequately.

Aug. 29 2013 11:41 AM
john from office

Sheldon at target rich environment!

Aug. 29 2013 11:34 AM
Rich P from Long Island

Caller on the hypothetical Brownsville situation is WRONG. Stop and frisk is NOT constitutionally protected. I think the caller is well intentioned, but misguided. It is still an illegal practice of profiling predicated on appearance. Who cares if no arrest is made ( That's a red herring)?

Aug. 29 2013 11:33 AM
Robert from NYC

Sorry John but the problem I often have is that law enforcers often do procedures to protect themselves more than protect the people they're out there to protect. The people they are hired to protect. Now I don't say officers should not protect themselves but when that becomes the sole or main concern of the officers than maybe they shouldn't be officers. Again, YES you should protect yourself I want you to protect yourself but I want you to protect us too. That's the job.

Aug. 29 2013 11:31 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Ah, John - you are up to your racial mischief as usual.

Aug. 29 2013 11:27 AM
Yusef Jeffries-El from Brooklyn

I attended a forum convened Monday by the Million Youth March organizers regarding Stop and Frisk. Four of the Democratic mayoral candidates pledged to be there (and Christine Quinn was invited but did not pledge). John Liu was the only one to show up.
Not saying that that alone earns him my vote, but it does say something about the respect the other candidates had for the forum.

Aug. 29 2013 11:26 AM
john from office

Does Mr. Liu have a son with a moo foo fro??? I am sure he is working on it.

Aug. 29 2013 11:25 AM
mbk from nyc

He doesn't know what a police officer's job is. It is a basic part of their job to stop people they believe to be committing or about to commit crimes. Thanks to the common sense of the majority of New Yorkeer's this guy will never be mayor.

Aug. 29 2013 11:24 AM
Oscar from NY

..yesterday I heard the mayoral debate with catmitidis and Lhota and others and honestly I got sick to my stomach listening to these pure racist , when mr catsimitidis was asked what would he do if his kid got stop and frisked this guy plainly said that he would ask his kid if he was dressed funny or was walking funny , I'm so tired of these racist for no reason bullys, dressed funny?? Then why doesn't the Hasidic ppl don't get stop, their dressed xtra funny and their kids too, like its Halloween all year round, ...think before you impose your racist antiquated ideas , the other one Lotha wants everyone to get circumcised , circumcise your ideas first please, the ppl of ny are simply tired of more of the same, keep your gods your traditions in your apt, your bathroom , leave the ppl of ny alone, we already struggle , I don't need some rich cheap minded politician ruining my life more for Pete's sakeee...

Aug. 29 2013 11:22 AM
john from office

I feel like I am watching an episode of the Green Hornet. I guess we can rely on Kato to protect us after the end of stop and frisk.

Aug. 29 2013 11:20 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Mr Liu is misrepresenting the Judge's opinion of stop and frisk.

Stop and frisk, if used correctly - has already been upheld by the supreme court.

What Bloomberg and Kelly has done the last 10 years, has been "brown shirt" type terror.

Aug. 29 2013 11:20 AM
Lk from brooklyn

Sierra Club endorsed John Liu. He was by far the best on environmental issues. De Blasio and Quinn really did not get environmental issues. As k John about his position on parks, river development, fracking, new development after Sandy, how to protect our shores...

Aug. 29 2013 11:14 AM
Miscellaneous from NYC

A friend of mine used to work with Mr. Liu at an actuarial firm. She told me that they eventually had to fire him because he rarely showed up for work. My question is whether he intends to be on the job every day as mayor or if he plans to spend much of the time AWOL.

Aug. 29 2013 11:14 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

I have been one of the biggest critics of Bloomberg's abuse of stop and frisk on this site.

I like John Liu as a person but for him to advocate eliminating stop and frisk altogether, I find irresponsible, naive, and dangerous. For that alone, I cannot support him for mayor.

Aug. 29 2013 11:11 AM

Isn't it weird blasio using his minor son that way?

Aug. 29 2013 11:07 AM
Michael D. D. White from Brooklyn Heights

John Liu will be at the Mayoral Forum on libraries in Cobble Hill tomorrow morning where the candidates will discuss the sell-off and shrinkage of libraries such as the Brooklyn Heights Library, Mid-Manhattan, SIBL, the removal of the Central Reference Library research stacks and other Brooklyn libraries like the Pacific Branch.

Quinn who favors library sales and shrinkage won't come to the event.

Would Mr. Liu like to preview any of his thoughts about the other candidates positions?

Aug. 29 2013 11:07 AM
Michael D. D. White from Brooklyn Heights

This may seem slightly off-topic respecting John Liu’s future as mayor, except that past is defining prologue:

John Liu has been active, intervening to respond to the fairly recent news that libraries are being deliberately underfunded as part of Bloomberg’s plans to sell-off and shrink New York City libraries. (See Scott Sherman’s new article that appeared in The Nation today, link below).

If John Liu becomes mayor we can expect these sales will halt, but if he doesn’t I’d like to know which candidates for Comptroller Mr. Liu thinks would best succeed him in role of protecting these and other public assets from sell-off by the new mayor?

That new mayor might, for instance, be Quinn who is favoring the sell-off and shrinkage of libraries and as accepted as acceptable (and actually a “win”) the status quo of current level of library underfunding.

The Hidden History of New York City’s Central Library Plan: Why did one of the world’s greatest libraries adopt a $300 million transformation without any real public debate?, by Scott Sherman, August 28, 2013

Aug. 29 2013 10:59 AM
john from office

I thought Mr. Liu was in Jail for election funding violations??? Oh no it was the kid who was the criminal, it is the kid that will do time. She really pulled the wool over Mr. Liu's eyes. What a smart kid!!

Aug. 29 2013 10:57 AM