Why the Times Website Went Down, and What It Has To Do With Syria

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

(scyther5/Shutterstock)

The New York Times joined a group of media organizations that have sustained recents attacks by the Syrian Electronic Army. Times technology reporter Nicole Perlroth explains yesterday's attack on the Times that caused its website to go down, what the SEA hopes to accomplish, and what we know about their possible ties to the Syrian government.

Nicole Perlroth

Hackers can be and are all over the world.

Aug. 29 2013 08:47 AM

I'm really disappointed. As apparent from the comments here, this program might as well have aired (and erred) yesterday. Not too topical.

Or helpful.

Aug. 28 2013 12:01 PM
Will from Manhattan

Wait a minute, if the New York Times wasn't hacked and this only has to do with the registry, then why can't the NYTs just reverse hack the registry? Their explanation doesn't make a lot of sense given that I am going on day two of not being able to log on.

Aug. 28 2013 11:57 AM

Brian RACED through the numeric domain address for NYT. For those still out--like me--it's:

Aug. 28 2013 11:55 AM
Linda from jersey shore

I can get on my NYTimes site, no problem. I'm a subscriber

Aug. 28 2013 11:54 AM
Jane from Brooklyn

I can look at the NYT online, but my app on my phone is not refreshing, it shows yesterday's paper. I wonder if NYT is aware of that issue

Aug. 28 2013 11:54 AM
Tom from Toronto

Brian, read your own Comments page. Its still down.

Aug. 28 2013 11:49 AM
simpsonsmoviesblew

Melbourne IT I have found to be shifty, unreliable, changing hands, etc. (not to mention on the other side of the planet and clock) -- how on earth did the NYT select this company as the dns?

Aug. 28 2013 11:48 AM
Nick from UWS

The Times website was hacked down. Now it turns out it wasn't the Times website per se, but the Times sales and commerce site. I don't know how these people, this woman speaking and Brian, can call themselves journalists since they can't even be honest about what went down. Why the hell should we, as listeners, care about this when we feel hooked like a fish by slippery "journalists" into this story which isn't even true as presented. What crap journalism has become.

Aug. 28 2013 11:47 AM
Chris from Pittsburgh

If you're looking for the New York Times, you can still see them by using their IP address: http://170.149.168.130/

Aug. 28 2013 11:44 AM
Cathy from Hoboken

Don't you know that the Times website has been down again for hours this morning?

Aug. 28 2013 11:43 AM
Tom from Toronto

FYI - NYT is still down at my workplace.

Aug. 28 2013 11:03 AM