Democratic Candidates for Queens Borough President

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Peter F. Vallone Jr., City Council Member (District 22), and Melinda Katz, former New York City Council Member, talk about the platforms and campaign to be the Democratic candidate in the Queens Borough President race.

Peter Vallone, Jr. and Melinda Katz

Vincent Pepe from Queens

I would like to vote for Melinda Katz but I think a soccer stadium is bad news. They always say it will create jobs but what they really mean is they will create minimum wage jobs without pensions; the only people profitting will be the rich businessmen who freely take our public parks and turn it into their own personal gold mine. I'd rather see residence run around the park kicking a soccer ball themselves, getting exercise, than have them pay high price tickets watching over-paid athletes having all the fun.

I also am having trouble with Katz's marriage to Curtis Sliwa; an extreme ultra conservative who staged his own shooting in order to win public favor.

Sep. 10 2013 04:11 PM
Suzanne from Forest Hills

About a week ago I returned from vacation to find a large sticky note on my door (along with campaign literature) saying that peter vallone had come by, and that if I had any questions for him I could email him. I took him up on his invitation and asked why, during the height of the vacation season, he thought it was appropriate to plaster my front door with materials, announcing to every passerby no one was home. He did not even have the courtesy to answer my email. This is not the kind of responsiveness I would expect from a potential elected official.

Aug. 27 2013 11:04 AM

Melinda Katz "gets it" when it comes to the soccer stadium: jobs, money coming into the borough, a sport the locals want. Look what inner city stadiums are doing for cities around the country (St. Louis, San Franciaco, Seattle, just to name a few).

Vallone doesn't get the economics or what his voters want.

Aug. 27 2013 10:55 AM

The stadium will be built over a fenced off fountain that's in disrepair. Also, NYCFC ownership said they would help with the construction of a park on an old airport just north of Flushing Park

Aug. 27 2013 10:54 AM
Amy from Manhattan

In a conversation about the elections last week, someone said that Manhattan BP Stringer had replaced Manhattan's patronage hiring system w/a system that actually requires job applicants to submit a CV. The person who said this told us that the other boroughs' BPs still hired based on "it's who you know." Brian, could you ask all BP candidates if they'd institute a merit-based hiring system in their boroughs' governments? (Sorry I didn't get this sent in in time for today's 1st interview.)

Aug. 27 2013 10:52 AM
Frank from Glendale, Queens

What do the candidates say about the proposed QueensWay, that will build a High Line type park going from Rego Park to Ozone Park, using abandoned railways?

Aug. 27 2013 10:46 AM