Retail and Teenagers

Friday, September 18, 2009

Kit Yarrow, consumer research scholar and chair of the Psychology Department at Golden State University, discusses her new book Gen BuY: How Tweens, Teens and Twenty-Somethings Are Revolutionizing Retail.

Kit Yarrow

Ann, NJ from NJ

Why on earth would it be "easier" to buy a house for Gen Y than Gen X? This author paints her optimism with a broad brush that seems designed to make marketing execs start doing a joyful Hokey Pokey. In the early seventies, you might buy a starter home whose price was approximately equal to your annual income. Can you imagine that now? Gen Y, pull up your bootstraps, or else you are welcome to join us in Generation Debt!

Sep. 18 2009 11:46 PM
Josh from Brooklyn

With all due respect to your guest, I've never heard some much bulls**t. GenY is the first generation to do less well then their parents? Tell that to the generation that came of age during the Depression. GenY'ers are closer to their parents than any generation in history? How does she know this? How far back has she gone? GenY'ers were "raised on self-esteem"? All of them? Has she researched this? Remarks like these are why so many people dismiss social science as pseudoscience.
(PS: And enough already with the GenX, GenY, etc. What do they plan after GenZ?)

Sep. 18 2009 11:54 AM
Jay from Norwalk, CT

How can gen Y have more money to spend than another generation when student loan debt is higher than any other generation?

Sep. 18 2009 11:47 AM
anonyme

This woman is ful of baloney. Ask any parent who feel their Gen Yers are up against a relentless marketing onslaught even compared to us

Sep. 18 2009 11:45 AM
phyllis

Materialism and consumerism are evil whoever who practice them! (Why is this woman as though there is nothing morally objectionable about marketing to youth? And hey, last time I looked, they all look the same to me: talk about independence.)

Sep. 18 2009 11:45 AM
Caitlin from Jersey City

I'm with the first caller! I'm 25, don't really enjoy shopping, and love to read. I think my generation (or at least the people within it I know) are, if anything, more cynical about advertising than others. Nothing gets eyes rolling like yet another corporation trying to go "viral."

Sep. 18 2009 11:44 AM
NKH from harlem

I'm 25. Not a shopper. I buy books and music mostly. Don't download mp3's. Can't operate a Blackberry or an iphone. Feel like I can't keep up with technology. Don't have a facebook account. Don't Twitter. Value my privacy. Don't want anyone googling my name. Really uncomfortable with everything that's going on right now.

Sep. 18 2009 11:43 AM
kass from brooklyn

i can't afford to buy anything for myself in that way! literally. except food. 25 years old here. i spend my money at trader joe's mostly. and to pay off my loans. i'd really like to buy a copy of the new Jay-Z CD, though. perhaps i will budget it in this month.

Sep. 18 2009 11:41 AM
Jennifer from NYC

Who is this very smart 25 yr old!?

Sep. 18 2009 11:40 AM
Alistair Wallace from midtown

Why is this guest defining Gen Y so broadly? I'm 32, I'm married and have a son. Demographically I'd like to think of myself as different from an 8th grader.

Sep. 18 2009 11:39 AM
Roberta Sutton from Brooklyn

Hi Brian,

Love your show everyday and I contribute to WNYC!

I am on the cusp of Gen Y at age 28 and I am a rigerous shopper. I shop by searching for something have in my mind and not nec. something that I know already exists - that means lots of keywords into google, using the shop function and comparison shopping.

Mom thinks I'm cheap and I AM trying to save for a house, but I know I'm just dedicated to creativity and quality and I don't mind waiting weeks to make a purchase after signing up for email alerts for lower prices, etc.

And brand loyalty comes with their willingness to have sales and brand awareness arises when they contribute to brooklyn events, independent films, etc. When they come to me.

Sep. 18 2009 11:38 AM
JJ

How much of this attitude has to do with growing up in relatively good economic times from 1995-2007?

How much will Gen Y shopping patterns and attitudes change with the current economic downturn? It's easy to be confident when you don't have to deal with adversity.

Sep. 18 2009 11:37 AM
hjs from 11211

young people know this: there is one god and dollar is his name

Sep. 18 2009 11:35 AM
Sven Orflassonn from IKEA Mind Control Bunker

What's revolutionary about mindless consumerism?

Sep. 18 2009 11:33 AM