Gerard Lordahl Answers Your Gardening Questions

Monday, August 26, 2013

Gerard Lordahl, Director, Open Space Greening Program at GrowNYC, answers gardening questions from listeners! He’ll also tell us what’s in season now, how to keep gardens bountiful into the fall, and ways to make the most of the late-summer and early-fall season.

Leave a question for Gerard! Or call us during the segment at 212-433-9692!

You can send soil and leaf samples to:
GrowNYC 51 Chambers Street
Room 228
New York, New York 10007

Gerard Lordahl
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Amy from Manhattan

Can't believe Mr. Lordahl went into the history of community gardens in NYC without mentioning Mayor Giuliani's inexplicable campaign against them. I hope they've recovered since he left office.

Aug. 27 2013 12:37 AM
William from Manhattan

Gerard Lordahl claimed falsely that the City doesn't use chemical herbicides or pesticides in NYC Parks. Just go to the entrance of Riverside Park at 103 Street and you will find a notice that NYC has applied the Monsanto product Roundup (a glycolphosphate) to the lawn, which is constantly in use by children.

Aug. 26 2013 02:00 PM
nancy from ny/long island

I (think I) understand fall is the time to transplant evergreens - but when should they be pruned? I have a house on the south shore of LI, the hedges have grown fantastically over the past 10 years. If I trim them to their original height (aprox 4-5 feet) they will be all brown, no leaves. How far back can I trim them and when? I've heard early spring, but am not sure. And will they grow back...?? Thank you so much!
PS LOVE MULBERRIES!!

Aug. 26 2013 01:06 PM
Jonathan Boe from Brooklyn

Would love for anyone interested in aquaponics to come visit our garden at 104 Moore Street in Brooklyn. It's an amazing way to grow food in the city. oko@okofarms.com

Aug. 26 2013 12:59 PM
abe

how do we keep mosquitoes away from plants.. I don't have any water pound but mosquitoes are always present..

Aug. 26 2013 12:49 PM

QUESTION!!!!!!!!

Second planting??? Using seeds? or starters plants! Have a space in my NJ garden for more lettuce and carrots! Yee HAAAA

Aug. 26 2013 12:42 PM
Ellen from Park Slope

Hi - there are trees, perhaps thousands of them, that are dead or dying, in areas that experienced salt-water flooding from Sandy.

I've seen them in Coney Island, Red Hook, along the FDR, and elsewhere.

Are these trees in danger of falling during the next storm with strong winds? Are there city plans to remove them?

Thanks!

Aug. 26 2013 12:37 PM
Colleen from Brooklyn

My Park Slope brownstone has a small garden plot built beside a stoop, about 2 feet wide, 5 foot long and about 2 feet deep, largely dominated by a large lavender plant and some autumn joy sedum. Currently I have marigolds planted. What seeds or plants should I sow/plant for the fall for a hot, dry spot with poor soil?

Aug. 26 2013 12:35 PM
ANNE from west Harlem

This summer I was collecting tasty mulberries from the trees along Riverside Drive in uptown Manhattan. None of my friends wanted to eat them because they said they were sprayed with chemicals and were full of city soot. Do you agree?

Aug. 26 2013 12:32 PM
sanych

How to get rid of weeds without chemicals?

Aug. 26 2013 12:24 PM