Primary Day Roundtable

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

David Chen, reporter for the New York Times, Liz Benjamin, political reporter for the Daily News and Juan Manuel Benitez, Reporter for NY1 Noticias and Host of Pura Política, discuss the Democratic Primary elections.

Plus, an informal, unofficial, thoroughly unscientific exit poll. Tell us how you voted and why.

Juan Manuel Benitez, Liz Benjamin and David Chen

Amy from Manhattan

And if someone fixed the election page because I asked about it, thanks!

Sep. 15 2009 12:18 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Ah, *there* are the links to more info on these races! Don't know why they didn't show up before, but anyone looking for the info, they're there now.

Sep. 15 2009 11:59 AM
Albion Liburd from Manhattan

I don't understand how anyone could vote for Liu, his pathetic attempt at connecting to working people by claiming to have worked in a sweat shop is another case of outright fabrication. It smacks of grandstanding, which he has made a hobby of, I see him as another Schumer, they will always jump on any issue real or made up for the publicity. I am voting for Thompson, Cocker, Siegal and anyone but Liu for controller.

Sep. 15 2009 11:46 AM
Margaret from Fort Greene

Thank you, Thank you, Michelle D. D. White from Brooklyn (comment No. 8)!! I went to your blog and it was an enormous help!! Particularly over the Atlantic Yards/eminent domain issue. I have been wavering between de Blasio and Siegel, and will now vote for Siegel. Also Avella over Thompson, for the reason that he won't be run by developers. Fingers crossed that a miracle will help us oust this moneybags mayor! The Yassky/Liu choice is also so tricky, and ultimately I am going with Liu for comptroller. He really does seem to have been the bravest fighter all along the way. And everybody in District 35: You MUST VOTE FOR LETITIA JAMES!!!
No land grabs in NYC!! No FCR/ESDC version of Atlantic Yards!! We need UNITY between Fort Greene & Prospect Heights, and a unified, livable Brooklyn! (Shame on Marty Markowitz too!!)

Sep. 15 2009 11:40 AM
Micahe D. D. White from Brooklyn

To # 10 Here is the vote on term limits From The Times: The 29 yes votes are the bad ones that repealed term limits. The 22 no votes are the good guys who voted to retain term limits.

Joseph P. Addabbo Jr. of Queens, no

Albert Vann of Brooklyn, yes
Thomas White Jr. of Queens, yes
David Yassky of Brooklyn, yes

Sep. 15 2009 11:19 AM
Vic

Voter from Brooklyn,

I agree with everything you say. I just think Quinn has become very arrogant, like she's taking our votes (here in Chelsea) for granted. But her simply being gay is not enough, not anymore. The sleaze factor is just too high. (And no, I don't work for either of her opponents -- in fact, I won't even mention which one I voted for).

Vic

Sep. 15 2009 11:10 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Where's all this election info I keep hearing is on the WNYC site? All I see at "Vote 2009" is the blog, & the content there is pretty spotty. Is there something I'm missing?

Sep. 15 2009 11:10 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

Vic,
As a gay man (and an architect), I wouldn’t vote for Quinn either if I could, but it’s because of how cozy she’s been with developers and the quality of what’s been built carte blanche over the past few years and her unwillingness to have her district support its fair share of city services. The good news—I think—on Quinn is that she’s proven, for better or worse, that there’s no difference between hetero and LGBT politicians.

Sep. 15 2009 11:05 AM
xti

Can anyone repeat for me the list of people who voted to repeal term limits? I didn't have a pen when the list was read and I'd like to vote on this issue.

Sep. 15 2009 11:01 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

On term limits… Was it a vocal minority making all the noise? Was it media at a loss of anything more substantive to cover? Was it that people remembered term limits were relatively new and that it was put on the ballot as political maneuvering in the first place? Or was it that people remembered that, regardless of term limits, if you don’t like the person, vote ‘em out? Term limits were a non issue for me.

Sep. 15 2009 10:55 AM
Micahe D. D. White from Brooklyn

Our Noticing New York thoughts on what will be important to the city in terms of the way the city needs to develop (balancing out the power of the real estate industry) is that it is critical to vote for Tony Avella for Mayor and Norman Siegel Public Advocate.

We suspect that Thompson’s campaign will self-destruct, for instance due to his impossible-to-understand positions on”megadevelopments” Atlantic Yards, Willets Point and the Jets Stadium included. We ask the question whether Thompson would want to out-Bloomberg Bloomberg in pushing developer-focused megadevelopments on the city.

See: Monday, September 14, 2009
Our thoughts on Navigating the Voter Minefields When All the Candidates Know the Words to Mouth on Development

Sep. 15 2009 10:48 AM
John from Brooklyn

Avela banner ad is on the DailyKos home page.

Sep. 15 2009 10:45 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

District 38 here…
Other than the fact my poll worker didn’t speak any English and the designated entrance from the voter info card was changed, things went pretty smoothly.
I voted Thompson, Yassky, de Blasio (with slight reluctance), and Iglasias.
Wasn’t there supposed to be a primary for Brooklyn Borough President?

Sep. 15 2009 10:45 AM
Vic

I'm gay but I did not vote for Quinn because of her backroom deal with Bloomberg on term limits and because of the slush fund issue.

Sep. 15 2009 10:44 AM
chris from washington heights

can anyone on the panel tell me anything, anything at all, about this district 10 candidate with the van blaring music, francisco spies? i have tried to find as much information as possible online as to who this guy is, and other than the aforementioned megaphone-equipped van, which patrols my block on w 184th & st. nicholas every hour, he seems to have no presence, platform, or real campaign. can anyone tell me, then, WHO IS FRANCISCO SPIES????

Sep. 15 2009 10:43 AM
Cassandra from Bushwick, Brooklyn

Diana Reyna for City Council in Williamsburg and Bushwick. She is advocating for affordable housing, is helping local activists start a food co-op in the neighborhood, got the okay from the League of Humane Voters (animal protection interests) and isn't afraid to speak out against the Vito Lopez Machine. She really cares about her community and always has a presence at community-based events and rallies. Go Diana!

Sep. 15 2009 10:42 AM
A.R. from Chelsea

There was no one at my polling place this morning (West 18th street/ 25th District). I was the 26th person to vote, and I was there at 9 AM.
I voted for Crocker-Snyder, Yassky, Seigel, and Passanante-Derr.
There was a Quinn-supporter on the corner near the polling place getting berated by local residents. She may win, but that'll only be becuase of low turnout.

Sep. 15 2009 10:13 AM
Peter from Sunset Park

So,

The District 39 City Council primary got pretty interesting with Skaller and Lander going back and forth and a third candidate, Zuckerman, releasing a YouTube video, a cartoon, making fun of the whole thing. Any comments on this?

Also, the Disctrict 39 primary has five candidates running. Anyone want to make a prediction?

Sep. 15 2009 09:59 AM