Open Phones: Public Art in Your Neighborhood

Thursday, August 22, 2013

What work of public art--sculpture, mural, poster, performance, or any other medium--have you been appreciating in your neighborhood lately? Comment below or call 212-433-9692.

Alexandra from Astoria

I don't think this is an issue about aesthetics! I like them. Art should be accessible to all! I suppose Bloomberg doesn't "like" them since he cannot charge an entrance fee as he's supposedly given the MET museum the okay to charge a minimum $25 entrance. Once again, the divide between the have and have-nots is being made. I take my daughter to the MET a minimum a dozen times a year. Guess I am going to have to find cheaper options like Banksy and other street art...(which I do but now I don't have all options open to me!)

Oct. 25 2013 10:36 AM
Sheree from Manhattan

I've been enjoying Orly Genger's nautical rope sculptures Red, Yellow and Blue in Madison Square Park (they're there through September 8). Also, El Anatsui's Broken Bridge II along the HighLine (though it is not as breathtaking as the works in his recently closed exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum---I love the mirrored components that reflect the surroundings and change constantly, depending on weather and time of day (I believe it's up through the end of September). My favorite public art ever was Yayoi Kusama's Narcissus Garden in Central Park's Conservatory Water in 2004---composed of floating mirrored balls, it also changed constantly and moved with the breezes---always beautiful. I thank everyone who has shared pictures and comments; I'm going to find that gorgeous mural in the East Village tomorrow! I also love the art in the subway stations.

Aug. 22 2013 12:03 PM
Kathy Creutzburg from Governors Island

Figment Summer Long Sculpture Garden has a vast array of interactive public art. Interactivity allows groups of people to come together and play in a constructive way.

figmentproject.org

Aug. 22 2013 11:14 AM
beeposter

tower 49 which is between 48th and 49th and 5th ave and madison has an exhibit of jules olitski"s work. there is a sculpture outside and paintings in the atrium which is open to the public.

Aug. 22 2013 11:10 AM
Sally from Manhattan

For jazz fans--there's a trio of young men who play Nat King Cole and Cole Porter tunes (among others) in Central Park. You can usually find them at a little cafe called Knish Nosh, which is adjacent to the Kerbs Boathouse at Conservatory Water (the sailboat pond). Enjoy!

Aug. 22 2013 11:09 AM
Eugene from Queens

More sculpture on view:

List of public arts exhibits in NYC

Free Sculpture park on the Brooklyn campus of Pratt

Large sculpture park in Hamilton, NJ

Aug. 22 2013 11:08 AM
Julie

I highly recommend an upcoming show: Emily Mast – B!RDBRA!N
September 5,6,7, 2013 at 8pm each night, FREE
In B!RDBRA!N, seven performers, ranging in age from 8 to 68 years, perform in a series of vignettes that expose the problematic nature of communication and the ways in which words serve as objects onto which meanings are projected. Sign language interpreted Sat, Sept 7. More info: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/7706421113

Aug. 22 2013 11:08 AM
Sue from NY

That sculpture on the little triangle just above 14th St to the E of Union Square looks to me to be about 20' tall, not 40'. Just sayin'.

Aug. 22 2013 10:57 AM

Thomas Hirschhorn’s Gramsci Monument at the Forest Houses in the Bronx is the most interesting current public art in the city. It’s a living organism. Open mic, daily philosophy lecture, daily radio show, newspaper, radical library, great music, great vibes, art classes. Super successful. Nothing like it.

Aug. 22 2013 10:55 AM
Jean from midtown

This is the lotus art work mentioned by the first caller: http://unionsquareblog.org/2013/05/07/lotus-debuts-in-union-square-park-triangle/

It's simply beautiful!