Time Warner Cable vs. CBS

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Brian StelterNew York Times media reporter and author of Top of the Morning: Inside the Cutthroat World of Morning TV, explains how the ongoing CBS blackout on Time Warner Cable could be resolved, and how the dispute will impact the fall TV season.

Adrian from New York, NY

CBS has been around a heck of alot longer than TWC. Time Warner is doing nothing motre than robbing it's customers of previously promised channels. TWC should be ashamed. Customers should be getting a discount or refund as well as an apology for being such greedy sons of guns.

Aug. 26 2013 09:02 PM
lin from NYC

I think it's odd that you didn't mention RCN. I have been with RCN for over 10 years and have few issues with their service.

Aug. 21 2013 11:17 AM
Tamara from NYC

Have you noticed that this happens with Time Warner every 6 months or so? They hold you hostage over channels. Why would you keep giving them money? I left Time Warner after the hurricane and don't know why I didn't leave sooner. RCN has fast internet, more channels, (including Al Jazeera America) and doesn't have a history of these blackouts. Just leave.

Aug. 21 2013 11:02 AM
John A

I note that some shows disappeared form summer reruns - I believe it's because their demographic is just going to go to Hulu or another internet outlet directly, and, for extra revenues to the megacorps..

Aug. 21 2013 11:01 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I have been watching Al Jazeera for years via my Roku, And Iran's PRESS TV. I haven't had cable for years now, and only have antenna+internet via Roku. Cable TV is just a waste of money for me.

Aug. 21 2013 10:58 AM
Rob from forest hills

During the Time Warner MSG dispute, I discovered Firstrow sports so I could watch my Knicks games free and clear, I then cancelled my sports cable

Aug. 21 2013 10:57 AM
Johan from online

My Grandpa had an antenna, my father has cable, I have internet.

Aug. 21 2013 10:56 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Netflix, Hulu and other subscription services are now increasingly producing their own content. Cable is not going to die anytime soon, but I doubt they can grow either. The internet offers more possibilities than cable TV in the long run.

Aug. 21 2013 10:56 AM

Aren't the ads the way I pay for CBS. Will CBS go ad free if they get the time Warner money.

Aug. 21 2013 10:55 AM
Bob from Huntington

Talk about the big surcharge all cable subscribers pay to subsidize ESPN--whether they're interested in sports or not. Also, in menu pricing a complete non-starter?

Aug. 21 2013 10:55 AM
George from Astoria

The only reason i have cable is because of HBO.
If i could get HBO without cable i would leave cable and not think twice.

Aug. 21 2013 10:55 AM
John A

I expect that many broadcasters will drop by-antenna transmission the second Washington allows it.
And the money migration suggests that revenue by advertising is drying somewhat.
CBS used to pay for everything by it's ads.
I get CBS (and 55+ other channels) by indoor antenna. I'm about 35 mi north of NYC.

Aug. 21 2013 10:54 AM
Michael Friedman

I live in The Bronx. That and parts of Brooyn are in Cablevision territory are not in the suburbs. Please don't be so Manhattan oriented.

Aug. 21 2013 10:54 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Could you imagine if Con Edison not only supplied our electricity but required us to rent 4 year old appliances from them?

Cable companies have a virtual monopoly. I pay over $170 a month for my package, that's without premium channels. I have an aging DVR box from 2008, that I have paid over $700 ($16 a month x 4 years) so far.

Let content providers and their end consumers pay for packages a la carte.

Sony has already inked a deal with content providers, google and apple are following suit. Things are changing but not fast enough.

Aug. 21 2013 10:53 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

The answer: $$$$$

The naked truth is that CBS has BIG salaries to pay to its stars and they get their money from advertising, cable/satellite (broadcast is FREE), internet and syndication. They also have shareholders to consider. So they come up with a price that comfortably lines all their pockets and anyone who doesn't want to pony up doesn't get the service.

However, they (both parties) need to learn to play nice with others (did they not attend kindergarten?), which means negotiation and mutual benefit.

My suggestion is that anyone who doesn't get the broadcast services they want should try getting them on the internet OR putting a big ol' antenna on the roof and getting them for FREE. :-)

Aug. 21 2013 10:51 AM

This seems awfully reminiscent of letters I've gotten from my insurance company saying they are no longer working with one hospital chain or another because of a pricing dispute.

Aug. 21 2013 10:51 AM
Larry from Brooklyn

Those of us with Time Warner cable internet can also not access any CBS content online either (e.g. at cbs.com). Have not heard this covered. Total blackout.

Aug. 21 2013 10:49 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Verizon FIOS is now wired up to many buildings, but they have to charge a high price because of all the money they just invested, whereas TWC has had its cables in place for decades. But the reality is, that cable TV is under serious attack from subscription and free internet channels, such as Netflix and Hulu and many others, and there is a limit to how much longer people will pay more to hold onto cable TV.

Aug. 21 2013 10:49 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

What is going to happen, Independent-Noach, another Bolshevik revolution here? The Romans had their arenas and amphitheaters to entertain the masses, and we have TV. While you have torah and talmud to keep you busy. What's your problem? Corporations stopping you from doing something?

Aug. 21 2013 10:41 AM

Wouldn't our elected officials and the banks and corporations they serve have a real, vested interested in intervening here?

After all, if access to boob-tube diversions were to be considerably impaired, the masses just might start becoming informed, aware and angry enough of just how much they are being preyed-upon and exploited by the corporate-banking-military ruling sector. And that could be very dangerous...

Aug. 21 2013 10:34 AM
Judy from Manhattan

Why is TWC blacking out Showtime? Seems like they are punishing their customers. We are being screwed. We can watch most CBS shows over the air or internet, but Showtime is only available via cable and we pay for it.

Aug. 21 2013 10:22 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I don't understand the problem. I don't have cable TV, and yet I can watch CBS every night using an indoor antenna. Unless you are a football nut, why does anyone still pay for cable TV at all? Have all those people still not heard of Netflix and Hulu? Not to mention Crackle and a zillion other internet channels you can access with a Roku or a game console or any number of other devices that can bring internet content to the TV screen?

Aug. 21 2013 10:09 AM