What Not to Bring

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Marc Wojno, senior associate editor of Kiplinger's Personal Finance, talks about 10 things college students DON'T need to bring to campus. What unnecessary thing did you bring to college? Comment below.

Marc Wojno

Caitlin from Jersey City

By the end of my first year on campus, I didn't have any of those things. I started out with a printer (which I believe came free with my computer), but the ink was so expensive I switched to using the computer lab. I also started the year with the biggest meal plan but the food was so horrible I switched to the smallest plan by the end of my first semester.

Also, I know plenty of people who have netbooks and all of them have the OS on them, not on the internet as Mark Zimmerman states above.

Sep. 01 2009 11:18 AM
Mark Zimmermann from Brooklyn

I'm inclined to agree with an analyst I heard on NYT Tech Talk podcast last week. . . netbooks are dependent on web access to operate (their operating systems are not on the computer). So in spite of their size, they are NOT fully functioning computers. If web access is lost or overloaded (as happens), the netbooks won't work for the student as well as somewhat larger/more self-contained notebooks. There IS a difference.

Sep. 01 2009 11:04 AM
EL from QUEENS

We had our son on the maximum food plan at an upstate SUNY for the 2 years he was in a dorm. The food was decent with plenty of choices on campus. We gave him a cash allowance that covered entertainment and off campus food. He did have our credit card for purchases that we agreed we would cover beyond the allowance (necessities) and he always called to check with me before using it.

Sep. 01 2009 11:02 AM
Tom from UWS

Good segment, but the casually mentioned "$10 for a ream of paper" is way off the mark.

Shop well - for instance, check out the weekly Staples flier ads on their website, for things like paper. This week: 2 CASES of printer paper for the price of one: $25.00 for two cases! Enough for the whole family - or share the deal with your roommate.

Depending on one's major, however, the need for a printer will vary.

Sep. 01 2009 11:02 AM
Rick from Manhattan from Manhattan

Is this guy a shill for the banking industry? Debit cards are a consumer disaster, especially for relatively unresponsible young students. Each overdraw causes a big fee and the system doesn't stop them. Better the parents sign on the credit card and let the kid build credit!

Sep. 01 2009 11:01 AM
AJH from NYC

You should absolutely bring a printer. You *will* be late for something and computer labs *will* let you down just when you need them. Avoid the headache and get your own.

Sep. 01 2009 11:01 AM
SB

Roommates can always split a printer!

Sep. 01 2009 10:59 AM
John from NY

Debit card? What about the overage fees - nephew got 1000 in fees

Sep. 01 2009 10:58 AM
JEZ from 10039

i know when i was in college, some fo the computer labs charged us fro printing. u could charge it to your bursar, but thats like credit...

Sep. 01 2009 10:57 AM
Sean from Manahttan

Don't bring a giant stereo into the dorms. A good set computer speakers will most definitely suffice.

Sep. 01 2009 10:56 AM
Ellen from Brooklyn

My college had a laptop requirement that a netbook would not fulfill. However, I totally agree on the printer. Mine was always broken and caused such a headache and there were plenty of quality printers on campus

Sep. 01 2009 10:55 AM