The Public Advocate Race: Bill de Blasio

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Starting today Brian Lehrer is interviewing the candidates running for Public Advocate. Today, Democrat Bill de Blasio, talks about his qualifications and stances on the important issues.

Bill de Blasio

Sainted_Mother from New York, NY

I'm with "A voter in Brooklyn" about the flyers ... I don't know if Working Families party has endorsed Mr. de Blasio, but short of that, I will not, simply because he wastes money. I don't know where he got his lists or mail services from, but he clearly doesn't have a system for scrubbing / vetting his data, and data is everything. If he doesn't care about wasting money / time in small things, if he doesn't care that I don't want more paper to recycle, then ... how can we trust him with more influence over more money?

I wish I could have heard the show live today, alas not.

I will say that the mail brochures this year are rather clean and clear, and all in color. I don't know if I got this many last election cycle.

Sep. 01 2009 05:55 PM
Andrea Lurie from Brooklyn

Bill di Blasio is a hippocrite!!! He proclaims his passion for advocating for the poor and powerless.

I live in Kensington (Brooklyn) and work in Park Slope. Di Blasio in the city councilperson for both neighborhoods.
When someone in the Slope itches, Bill is there to scratch.

But, he has never once replied to my numerous emails and calls to his office regarding the lack of trash cans (and surplus of trash) on my block on Ocean Parkway. Likewise complaints about the bad condition of the west service road between Av C and Cortelyou Rd have been ignored.

Rep Brennan's office has been vastly more helpful, even though these issues are really in de Blasio's domain.

You may be sure that my wife and I will vote for someone other than de Blasio.

Sep. 01 2009 11:37 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

Brian,
That was a bit of a low blow on de Blasio’s wife. Politicians go out of their way in local politics in NYC to prove they are a friend of Israel, anyone of Spanish-speaking heritage flies that flag high during campaigning (repugnantly, higher than that of the American flag, I might add), anyone of Italian heritage does the same, women in politics make sure everyone knows they are a woman, and anyone with a family thinks that makes them more qualified for any public office than someone without children or singles. That is politics in NYC. It’s biased all around. He’s just a typical politician.
If anything, you should have asked him to stop sending the same flyer every other day. I think I’ve thrown away 4 or 5 so far. They don’t even say anything of substance about his positions and what actions he plans on taking.

Sep. 01 2009 11:02 AM
Mike from Brooklyn

He also voted against congestion pricing. He's a politician, not an advocate.

Sep. 01 2009 10:47 AM
hjs from 11211

"so many parking tickets " was he saying the tickets were unjustly written?

Sep. 01 2009 10:44 AM
Richard Johnston from Upper West Side

In Sunday's TV debate, Mr. de Blasio said his "pet peeve" is so many parking tickets awarded in the city, and it was hurting the quality of life. If this sort of pandering will carry over from his life on the city council to a new position as public advocate, why should I take him seriously?

Sep. 01 2009 10:40 AM