Open Phones: Medical Marijuana

Friday, August 16, 2013

Gov. Christie says he'll decide today about medical marijuana in New Jersey. Listeners, what are your stories of using pot as medicine?

Regarding the health effects of marijuana, can the claims of /either/ side be trusted? At least the more extreme ones?

Like nearly every other issue as contentious and fraught with conflicting biases and interests, I trust neither side.

Aug. 16 2013 01:24 PM

@ "tag from New Jersey", 12:32 PM: Are you the same one who posted to the "Ask a Bioethicist: Reproductive Technology" segment back in early March?

If so, you will likely appreciate the reply I made to you there.

Aug. 16 2013 01:11 PM
tag from New Jersey

No one addresses the fact the marijuana affects your genes. It can alter your genetic makeup. Why doesn't any one address this????. Shouldn't you ask a genetic scientist about the use of marijuana?????????

Aug. 16 2013 12:32 PM

@ Chomsky quote posted by "JF":

Empirically true, as evidenced by countless examples that can be seen, many of them on this very show.

If only Chomsky would realize how applicable his words are, in any number of cases, even to /himself/ and most certainly to his cohorts on the left (nearly unanimously so).

Aug. 16 2013 12:08 PM

Marinol is not a great substitute for medical marijuana. Even the generic version is obscenely expensive. It costs a pharmacy more than $500 dead net for 60 10 mg capsules. The dosage is usually 1 capsule twice daily. $500+ is the cost to the pharmacy NOT the consumer.

Aug. 16 2013 12:06 PM

@ Marsha Andrews from UWS, 11:39 a.m.:

"I can't stand the smell of it so legalizing it will cut into my civil liberties by having to smell it and suffer the affects."

What about situations where the smoke does not reach others, then? People in rural or even many suburban homes? Any number of secluded/open/distanced/vast enough spaces?

Also, what about non-smoking forms of marijuna? Brownies, etc.

Aug. 16 2013 11:54 AM
Adam from Brookly, NYC

As someone working in the alcohol industry, and a user of marijuana for the last 12 years, I think we need to recognize that its time to legalize. Why this plant is treated as more serious or damaging to impairing than alcohol is beyond me. Marijuana does not make people lazy. It does not make people do nothing. For some, it even inspires. It surely affects people differently. But at the base of it all, marijuana is far less impairing or damaging than alcohol. It is a relatively harmless substance that research shows has many benefits to medicine and creative elements. Ignoring the medical benefits entirely, we still should legalize marijuana for the sake of increasing tax revenue in NY, reducing the strain on the courts, and allowing the millions of NY'ers who smoke marijuana to exist in society without feeling like criminals simply because they prefer smoking a green plant to an alcoholic drink. It just makes no sense whatsoever.

Aug. 16 2013 11:52 AM
Marsha Andrews from UWS

It is bad enough having to smell other people's cigarette smoke but to have to smell marijuana would be insufferable! My clothes in my closet already smell from smoke seeping into my closet from neighbors smoking in their apartments. Unlike alcohol which does not affect anyone next to them, marijuana smoke can affect anyone in proximity. I can't stand the smell of it so legalizing it will cut into my civil liberties by having to smell it and suffer the affects.

Aug. 16 2013 11:39 AM
Susan Daum, M.D. from Manhattan

Studies a while ago has shown taht Marijuana is worse to smoke for the lungs for both lung cancer and pulmonary damage.
I don't have the references on hand right away, but they can be found on pubmed, the National Library of Medicine.

I'm a Physician specializing in Environmnetal Medicine.

Aug. 16 2013 11:39 AM
jennifer from New Jersey

Ell oh Ell. If there was ever an argument against marijuana use it's listening to these 2 callers argue with one another.

But seriously, legalized drugs have really degraded cities like Amsterdam and Geneva, cities that formerly were among the loveliest and most charming in Europe, and are now full of addicts and their garbage littering the streets and parks.

Aug. 16 2013 11:39 AM
Clif from Manhattan

Sorry, but this woman is clueless! She said "HTC content". Totally discredits the rest of her argument. And no one corrected her!

Ha!

Aug. 16 2013 11:34 AM
Zach from Brooklyn

Everything can be abused.

Aug. 16 2013 11:34 AM
Farrish from Seattle

I'm a New Yorker here in Seattle for work I have no problem with legalized pot though I don't use it myself. But I will say one thing, it stinks just as bad as the illegal stuff and now I smell it in the streets. If you want to see and ad for legalized pot home delivery look on the show's Twitter feed I just posted a picture off my blog.

Aug. 16 2013 11:31 AM
Zach from Brooklyn

I cannot agree enough with John Liu's analysis of the situation. Marijuana is less harmful to the body and society than alcohol and cigarettes and certainly less harmful than prescription painkillers and other pharmaceuticals. Let's get real.

Aug. 16 2013 11:28 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

Read what Dave Barry has to say about legalizing drugs:

Aug. 16 2013 11:27 AM
Susan Burger from Upper West Side

I don't like medications period. Pot makes my sinuses swell up -- when I'm anywhere near it. I don't smoke it for that reason and would reject it as a medical option because I don't like to inhale anything. But then I have problems with just about any anesthetic than anyone has ever used on me except nitrous oxide (love it!).

All drugs of any form have risks that should be weighed for the particular individual in question. Don't think it would be criminalized, but I think in the effort to decriminalize its use it tends to be glorified as a cure all. If it were decriminalized then perhaps better research would be conducted on appropriate and inappropriate use. That is of course if we ever allow funding for independent research to occur as opposed to the marketing based research of companies that stand to gain a profit. I don't see how that will change if pot is legalized.

Aug. 16 2013 11:24 AM
J M from NYC

Depicting someone in their sixties as "elderly" is ageist.

Aug. 16 2013 11:21 AM
Sredni Vashtar from the Shed Out Back

I think caller meant psychotropic not psychosomatic.

Aug. 16 2013 11:16 AM
naomi

My husband is epileptic and smokes to prevent seizures.

Aug. 16 2013 11:16 AM
Ricardo Cortes from Brooklyn

In 2004 I wrote and illustrated a children's book about marijuana, "It's Just a Plant," that generated a good deal of controversy (here's Bill O'Reilly railing against the book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kssS_TEeQfU).

It's not quite ten years later, and it's unbelievable how much progress we've made with legal reforms and cultural perceptions. To think that a Governor is being made to decide on whether to allow children access to medicinal marijuana is testament to the leaps and bounds we're making towards saner more compassionate policies.

Aug. 16 2013 11:13 AM
Yeah Right from Everywhere

OMGoodness! Did Charlotte say IBS? Riiighht...SMH, what next?

Aug. 16 2013 11:13 AM

Funny how so many of the same people who inveigh against the tyranny of "Big Government" (TM), are just fine w/ criminalizing people in the throes of horrific, tormenting illness who find their only relief in marijuana. And prosecuting compassionate physicians.

I could never see anything "moral" in that.

Aug. 16 2013 11:11 AM
John A

No jobs? No matter. Light up and relax.
No political will in Washington? Let the people share the spirit.
Me: against. Adding more ways to escape responsibility ain't gonna solve the nations problems.

Aug. 16 2013 11:07 AM