Red Hook Trolley?

Monday, August 24, 2009

Yonah Freemark, blogger for The Transport Politic, and Benjamin Fried, deputy editor of Streetsblog New York City, talk about the viability of trolleys in Brooklyn. See Maps From Yonah Freemark's Blog Highlighting Streetcar's In Brooklyn: Existing Streetcar Network | Freemark's Proposed Routes | How Bus Lines and Streetcars Would Interact Under Freemark's Proposal

Yonah Freemark and Benjamin Fried

Valentina from Red Hook

A trolley? How about just improving the current bus lines? As a resident of the area I must say: gentrification is the wrong way to go. Steer clear of making the mistake of moving to this neighborhood. It is polluted, and litter is a big problem. There are drug deals going down all over the place. The police don't respond in time to the kids from the projects coming over to our *hip* streets and defacing property. Break-ins are all too common. Landlords are not supplying what they are required to by law. Gunshots ring out regularly. My apartment is so hot because it is far too dangerous to sleep with the windows open. Women are assaulted on the deserted streets at night with no one to hear their cries for help. The traffic from Ikea is awful and makes a leisurely stroll to the store a potentially fatal death walk. Imlay Street alone is home to enough self-righteous fascists posing as artists to make Mussolini turn over in his grave. And the free kayaking is great, just don't go in the water (feces soup). To the city: Just fix the B61 and B7. To potential residents: Just move to Riverdale or Washington Heights. Red Hook is for the gulls.

Aug. 25 2009 12:52 PM
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY

I had to bring bad news, but I don't see any streetcars or trolleys comming back to New York City anytime soon. I will not argue that Red Hook does feel isolated, but it's also one of the few affordable neighborhoods left for Brooklyn. I feel that giving it this will cause gentrification as every other realtor does when it comes to living close to transit. Ever since I have became insterested in NYC neighborhoods, I sort of like the ones that are not major tourist spots, because it gives it more of a local flavor rather than having a bunch of chains and other corporations comming there. Honestly, I don't find the Second Avenue Subway a boondoggle, because I feel that it's needed due to the fact the Upper East Side has only one subway line with only one out of the three being local. Such a line would ease the cramming of the 6 train as would for those who live closer to it. If any expansions or new lines are boondoggles, then I would say that building new station houses for Penn Station, Fulton Street, and even the PATH stop for the World Trade Center are because they do not generate any revenue. I don't think that the 7 should be extended to the West Side Yards, because many can just walk a few blocks from Penn Station by 8th Avenue as with the East Side Access from the Long Island Railroad because many can just switch at Woodside for the 7 train. I do feel that the Second Avenue Subway should be the first priority right now for the MTA because it's needed the most. Getting back to Red Hook, the buses, the B61 and B77, cover much of their major streets and are within walking distance no matter they live, which is probably why they feel that the trolley is uncessesary.

Aug. 24 2009 07:01 PM
peter swanson from long island(includes Brooklyn)

I grew up in Red Hook. It is the most underserved
area in nyc. Only 2 bus routes, B61 and B77. A
private trolley began track work(all approved) but ran out of money about 3 years ago. The trolley line, connected to the subway at Boro Hall would be a wonderful addition. I travel
to Red Hook twice a week by bus and subway and lirr. Always bus delays. Please email me for more info. Thanks
Pete Swanson
retired NYC Teacher

Aug. 24 2009 12:01 PM
JP from The Garden State

Fact, a loaded bus has the lowest carbon footprint over a loaded train (light rail), plane, car or automobile.

Aug. 24 2009 11:02 AM
Bill from New York

"its isolation," and whatever other typos I should have caught, thank you....

Aug. 24 2009 11:00 AM
Bill from New York

So those who are gentrifying Redhook because they can afford to deal with it's isolation are against at trolley system, but what about those who can't afford it? What do they think of their isolation?

Maybe this was already mentioned, but I wonder whether this trolley proposal incorporates, or would eventually, the reclamation of the Atlantic Tunnel.

Aug. 24 2009 10:59 AM
Matt from UWS

PLEASE EXPLAIN: how are street cars superior to buses? The MTA is now running clean-air buses. Isn't this a no brainer?

Aug. 24 2009 10:54 AM
nat from Brooklyn

What about Bus Rapid Transit?

The city has spent lots of money exploring this option has found that its cheaper and at least as effective as light rail? Why not build out that system? BRT works in other cities all over the world.

Aug. 24 2009 10:54 AM
antonio from park slope

I would be in favor of streetcars everywhere in the city!
I mean there are areas in the city that are isolated because of what Robert Moses did to the city.. Maspeth, Middle Village, Glendale, areas in Astoria and western Queens are all lacking connectivity...

Aug. 24 2009 10:52 AM
David Alexander from Long Island, NY

We should build as many streetcar lines throughout the city as possible to replace heavily used bus lines. At $50 million dollars per mile, it's considerably cheaper than building a full blown subway, and one gets the advantage of high acceleration, comfortable surface transit, and fleet that will be more reliable and cheaper to operate than buses. While buses use diesel engines that last for 15 years, streetcars will can last from 30 to 50 years and use electric motors.

Aug. 24 2009 10:52 AM
Billy Gray from Greenpoint

I can't personally understand finding $100 million for light rail in Brooklyn when we can't even keep the freaking G train running. I mean, c'mon. This is clearly desperate electioneering on the part of Bloomberg.

Aug. 24 2009 10:50 AM
Caitlin from Jersey City

One of my favorite factoids I picked up from the Transit Museum is that once upon a time "trolley dodger" was a slur aimed at Brooklynites, and the source for the name of The Dodgers. I'd love to be able to call my Brooklyn friends authentic trolley dodgers!

Aug. 24 2009 09:51 AM