Your Uncommon Economic Indicators: Doubling Up

Friday, August 21, 2009

Live from the Greene Space!
Members of Picture the Homeless, Letitia Ledan and Russell Pinsley, talk about obtaining an apartment after being homeless, and doubling up. Steven Greenhouse helps explain how the recession is affecting the working poor.

Steven Greenhouse, Letitia Ledan and Russell Pinsley

landless from Brooklyn

I have just listened to this program and I don't understand why this is considered new. I lived in SF from 1975-2000. It wasn't just immigrants and illegals who doubled up, it was everybody who wasn't a yuppy. Wages have declined over the past 30 years. Even when I doubled up, rent was 50 percent of my income and I had a master's.

Sep. 01 2009 11:22 AM
JP from The Garden State

Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA

When did I ever say I was a liberal? I already told you I don’t believe all the conspiracy theories about Bush nor do I believe what your spouting about Obama. I think all sides are full of it… Wake up and smell the coffee, this country is bought, owned and run by big cooperation special interests and has been for a very long time. They own both sides of the isles, they own everything… And they are laughing all the way to the bank as you suckers are trying to figure out if Obama was born in America or not while they just buy up more of America and more of our rights. And if you don’t snap out of it, you’ll be bowing down to King Home Depot before you know it….

You have managed to spew more rhetoric and ovoid both of my questions so I’ll ask again. Where were YOU the last 8 years, living on easy street? And, how much of that 5.6 trillion dollars did you get back in your taxes? By the way, the top income earners don’t even come close to paying the same tax rate you and I do. It’s called tax shelters and off shore accounts. Oh sure, the rich are looking out for you and have got your back covered by making countries like Switzerland even richer by fattening up their banks… Aren’t they a socialist country and isn’t Obama trying to stop offshore accounts? Here’s one more question. How did that trickle down effect work for you? And please, don’t pull that sarcastic “Have a Blessed day” as if that makes everything ok since its all in the name of god….

Aug. 21 2009 01:46 PM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA

Dear JP,

Are those the same top wealth earners who pay most of the taxes in this country to begin with? Obama wants to destroy the economy to gain political advantage -- the poor and minorities will be hurt the most. What you and other lib apologists don't seem to get is that despite the tax cuts Bush's deficit including TARP One is only about 1/3 of the Obama deficit created in 6 incompetent months; and only 1/9 what the CBO predicts it will be in a few years. Tell your liberal reps to stop printing money. Their "reforms" are destroying the economy. If they can't manage "cash for clunkers" for two months how can they manage socialized medicine? The answer is simple - they can’t.

PS - For the record: I was against a tax break after 9-11-01 since we needed to fight a major world war against Islamic terrorism a/k/a “creators of man made disasters.” lofl.

Have a Blessed day.

Aug. 21 2009 01:11 PM
JP from The Garden State

You didn’t do very well in school did you? I’ll ask the question again, where were YOU the last 8 years, living on easy street? Oh and for the record, it’s well documented that we have been in a recession since 2007, before the price of oil went way up….. Before your foe even announced he was going to run for office. Unless of course Obmana had a time machine and during the last election he went back in time and some how manipulated the economy and gave away 5.6 trillion dollars in tax breaks free of charge to the top wealth income earners….. Oh wait, that was Bush…. Here’s another question to add to the first one. How much of that 5.6 trillion dollars did you get back in your taxes?

Aug. 21 2009 12:36 PM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA

Oooops -- the Michelle Obama being disbarred post was for the family segment. My bad.

When Clinton supported NAFTA many good jobs for uneducated people went overseas - hurting the poor, creating homelessness. The economy was good then (dot.com and housing bubble) and good under Bush (continued Dem created housing bubble) until the end of his term, when "somehow" the economy collapsed and the price of oil was manipulated to quadruple... throwing the election to the Dems.

Aug. 21 2009 12:19 PM
JP from The Garden State

Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA,

Michelle Obama? What the F does she have to do with anything? Please, enough on the silly conspiracy theories… Is your house or apartment lined with tinfoil so “they” cant here what you’re saying? Of course not... There are books written on all kinds of conspiracies committed by Bush II. Your dribble seems to be no credible…

You didn’t answer my question so here it is again. I ask you in all seriousness, where were you the last 8 years, living on easy street?

Aug. 21 2009 12:06 PM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA

LOFL -- the “brilliant” (another LOL) Michelle Obama didn’t “dial back” her legal career to take care of her family, she is “disbarred” since 1993 (six years before Sasha was born). Michelle Obama is on COURT ORDERED INACTIVE STATUS (so is Barrack - another Obama Mystery - he did lie on his app. about having other legal names, using drugs and also had outstanding parking tickets, but what pol doesn't?). There are allegations floating around the web that this occurred in the face of an insurance fraud prosecution, but I guess it will take a whistle blower or FOIA request to get the full truth. They are no longer attorneys, they merely have JD degrees. She then received some choice easy or no-show U of C and public agency jobs (also being investigated) thanks to the wonderful world of Chicago gangland Democrat Party machine politics, where “community organizers” and their spouses are paid off for corralling their gullible constituents to the polls on Election Day.

PS - Working fathers miss their kids, too.

Aug. 21 2009 11:53 AM
JP from The Garden State

Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA,

Where were you the last 8 years, living on easy street? Now you want to start and complain? Oh please…..

Aug. 21 2009 11:38 AM
Andrew B. from New York City

My level of sympathy decreased a bit when I heard she has cable. I don't have cable, to save money, and my situation- though bad is not as bad as hers.

Aug. 21 2009 10:54 AM