Spitzer and Stringer Take Comptrol

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Scott Stringer and Eliot Spitzer face off at the first CFB comptroller primary debate, moderated by Brian Lehrer and NY1's Errol Louis

Last night Eliot Spitzer and Scott Stringer took part in the first official debate in the Democratic primary for New York City Comptroller, moderated by Brian Lehrer and NY1's Errol Louis. Kate Taylor of the New York Times has been covering the race, and was at the debate -- she plays highlights and discusses what we learned.

Full Audio: Democratic Comptroller Debate

Chat Transcript: Revisit Last Night's Debate Live-Blog

Kate Taylor

Katherine Boyd from Brooklyn

I have to agree with Chuck from Lower Manhattan: "Watching the debate, I found myself liking each of them less and less with every passing minute."

But I was surprised that the co-moderators, Brian Lehrer and Errol _____ (sorry, I don't remember his last name) from NY 1, allowed them to snipe at each other for what seemed like 20 minutes, without interruption. I think this in itself did a disservice to viewers and listeners. Aren't moderators supposed to moderate?

WABC's Bill Ritter did a much better job of moderating the Democratic mayoral candidate debate last night. And imposing a time limit on the candidates' answers (with frequent interruptions by Ritter) led to more substantive answers, and prevented the kind of thing that happened in the comptroller candidate debate on Monday night.

Aug. 14 2013 11:22 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

The lefties who still support Spitzer are insane ...

Aug. 13 2013 08:48 PM
Alan from Manhattan

Spitzer, ex-governor, most likely wants to be comptroller so as to position himself to run for mayor in 4 years. As with so many candidates in multi-candidate elections, he might get elected to the latter office as the result of two or more other candidates splitting the--take your choice: liberal, conservative, progressive--vote.

The answer to that very unfortunate possibility--unfortunate because the winner of an election ought to be the strongest candidate--is Approval Voting, an eminently rational voting system that allows a voter to vote for as many or as few candidates as he/she desires, with the winner being the candidate who gets the most votes. Approval Voting generally elects the candidate having the broadest base of support.

For a fuller explanation, see:

Aug. 13 2013 03:32 PM
Dr. RAJU from New Hyde Park, NY

Eliot Spitzer has repeatedly apologized for his admitted human failings and sins and so far, there is no proof that he has committed any bad behavior after stepping down from office 5 years ago. I am greatly impressed by his vastly superior intellect and brilliant analytical mind, his command of facts and figures and oratory as well as his achievements for the good of the public when he was an AG. He is the man of the hour and deserves our support to be the next comptroller.

Aug. 13 2013 12:38 PM
Jack from midtown

If he were polling at higher than 5% in the mayor's race, Stringer would have had no interest in the position of comptroller, so his sanctimony is a bit tiresome. Spitzer made the clear case that he would do a better job in the position, the question is whether the public trusts him, and that's a fair question.

Aug. 13 2013 11:58 AM
Avatar from carroll gardens Brooklyn, NY

All the obvious and, actually, superficial things about Spitzer aside, he appears to be smarter and more to the point guy. Moreover, Spitzer's famous sins caused him so much grief that they I'd think vaccinated him from ever repeating anything similar again. Unlike, bwy, Anthony Weiner

Aug. 13 2013 11:02 AM
Mangus from Flatiron

Spitzer is a dirtbag. He cheated on his wife and broke the law. I applaud his record as attorney general, and he should have stayed there!

Aug. 13 2013 10:40 AM
mick from Manhattan

Spitzer is a child of inherited wealth who wants to use the comptroller office as a bully pulpit to put himself back on the national political stage. As a person who will be depending on a city pension for a large part my economic security after retirement, I want a comptroller who will focus on getting the best deals for my pension investments...not trying to change public opinion of himself.

Aug. 13 2013 10:32 AM
Jay F.

Why is taking on Wall Street such a good thing? Where would NYC be without Wall Street?

Aug. 13 2013 10:30 AM
lesterine from manhattan

i would NEVER vote for stringer, who would be happy to bulldoze over anyone's home in order to make room for new construction, which is exactly what happened to my community in upper wash hts, near inwood.
the community fought the CB12 and the contractor and won, after which time stringer issued a new release taking credit for "saving the community".
stringer's a snake and would sell anyone's home right beneath their feet for any profit to himself and friends given the slightest opportunity.

Aug. 13 2013 10:30 AM
Caesar Romaine from Manhattan

A) This "reporter" is showing unbelievable bias toward Spitzer.

B)Spitzer wouldn't hire Spitzer as a junior level staff member.

C) Because of Spitzer we got a governor we didn't get to vote for, who appointed a senator we didn't get to vote for, who replaced a senator who was allowed to spend two years "interviewing" for another job (openly didn't want to be a NY senator). Now he wants to participate in the democratic process again? Really?

Aug. 13 2013 10:30 AM
Bobby G from East Village

For someone who dismisses both the the prostitution scandal and the term limits issue, what was there to take away? I feel ill served by the debate and still undecided.

Aug. 13 2013 10:26 AM
Zach from Brooklyn

What's more, we better never find out that Stringer has done anything illegal...

Aug. 13 2013 10:22 AM
Joan from Bklyn

Let's see - I get to choose between a non-entity and a shark. No wonder people don't vote.

Aug. 13 2013 10:20 AM
Ben Austin from Brooklyn

Spitzer sounded much stronger.

Stringer (as well as Quinn) are unelectable. They both worked together to eliminate term limits despite New Yorkers voting again and again saying that they wanted term limits.

People who are unwilling to accept the will of the people because they wish to keep their own jobs, and their own power, should not be running for any office. They do not accept democracy.

And, in the broadcast segment, Stringer tried to squeeze out of this by saying he didn't support term limits. But it isn't about HIS wishes. It is about the people's wishes.

Aug. 13 2013 10:19 AM
HelenNJ from NJ

Listening to that debate made me glad I'm in NJ.

Aug. 13 2013 10:16 AM
Zach from Brooklyn

Is there anyone who doesn't know why Spitzer resigned? We all know. If Scott Stringer had anything substantive to say about politics, he should have said it. Tiresome. Wish Spitzer would have combatted that more directly.

Aug. 13 2013 10:16 AM
Jeff

Stringer clearly had more substance and more commitment to the real purpose of the office. Spitzer was a one trick pony with his pretty much false statements about his own record and didn't have anything to say on substance. I don't get what chuck is saying about Stringer's knowledge about the Comptroller's Office. I was impressed with how Stringer laid out a lot of specifics about pension management and claims. I didn't hear Spitzer saying anything about his specific plans.

Aug. 13 2013 10:16 AM
Jerry Reed from Jerry from the Bronx

I like Springer, yet his low personal attacks are beneath him. Spitzer acted like a grownup; Springer acted like a pouting child. I never thought that I could ever say that I trust Spitzer but, in comparison, I do.

Aug. 13 2013 10:16 AM
LK from Brooklyn

The people lost. Neither of the candidates gave us a substantial idea of what kind of Comptroller they would be. Will they stand up to the Mayor as John Liu has done? Will they recapture wasted money and stop the financial bleeding that the Mayor has created with all the outside consultants he hires?

Spitzer a failed human being and Stringer a go-along hack politician. Both are terrible choices.

Aug. 13 2013 10:11 AM
chuck from lower Manhattan

Watching the debate, I found myself liking each of them less and less with every passing minute. That said, Spitzer seems to want the job more, and Stringer appears to have little comprehension about the job other than that it's the next rung on his career ladder.

Aug. 13 2013 10:11 AM