Your #NJVoteSelfies and Jersey Voting Stories

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Today is New Jersey's primary in the special election to serve out the term of the late Senator Frank Lautenberg. Who's got your support? Call us at 212-433-9692 or post below.

Slideshow: Your #NJVoteSelfie

Did you vote today? We're gathering pictures of you at the polls - tweet them @BrianLehrer using the hashtag #NJVoteSelfie (Curious about the legality of this? Make sure you take a photo of you after you vote, not in the ballot booth itself. If you're not sure, ask your poll worker where it's okay to snap a photo. More info.)

Mark

Where is Holt getting all this support? I don't have a TV so maybe I'm missing all the advertisements but Pallone was the only one who actually had "boots on the ground" around Jersey City. Sure, when I went to do laundry Booker had endless Spanish ads no doubt bankrolled by Wall Street but I haven't seen so much as a placard for Holt anywhere. Sorry, can't vote for people who can't be bothered to canvas NJ's second largest city.

Aug. 13 2013 05:53 PM
Patricia from Red Bank, NJ

I voted for Holt. He has been outspoken in his opposition to the recently exposed NSA surveillance. I agree with him on many other issues as well. Booker is a corporate type, out for himself IMO.

@Shira Gertz. In the typical NJ primary, you need to be unaligned or registered to the party for whom you are voting. If you are unaligned and vote in a primary, you will automatically be registered to that party and will no longer be unaligned.

I don't know if different rules apply to the special primary.

Aug. 13 2013 04:46 PM
Bill

WITHOUT A DOUBT, Rush Holt is the best man for the job. Unlike the other candidates, he truly wants to make a difference and has done so throughout his 14 years in congress. Booker is simply not ready to handle such a task, and the rise of debt in Newark in his tenure shows it. Booker is right when he advocates for change in Washington, but he is not the one to do it. We need Rush, who will bring a fresh outlook with his background as a scientist. GET TO THE POLLS AND VOTE HOLT.

Aug. 13 2013 04:42 PM
Shira Gertz from West Orange

I just went to vote and at the poll found that I had to be registered either democrat or republican to vote in this special primary. I choose to be a registered independent as I don't really want to affiliate with either party. I'm not sure if one has to be party affiliated in all primaries (I'm pretty sure I voted in previous primaries) or just due to this being a special primary. I exercised my right to conscientiously not vote. I was planning to vote for Booker and he is projected to win so I view my not voting as more of a statement than voting would have been. It has however proved very difficult to explain to my 3 yo who went with me why I didn't vote - she keeps saying "they didn't let you vote" and "can't we go to another place to vote?"

Aug. 13 2013 12:57 PM
Sue Levinson from South Brunswick, NJ

I think Booker will win, but I don't like some things about him. I also was appalled by his comment about the Obama campaigns "tactics" against Romney. Obama’s attacks on Romney were absolutely justified. I also think he's an opportunist using the senate as a stepping stone. He will probably win because he has the money and the name recognition, and because the opposition is split three ways. As far as I can see, in terms of issues, there is not much difference between Holt, Pallone and Oliver. Unfortunately, I will have no choice but to vote for him in October. Can’t let the republicans win and add to the grid lock in congress. I voted for Holt because I think he is the smartest, and because he is a scientist. He really is a rocket scientist.

Aug. 13 2013 12:11 PM
Louis S from Jersey Shore

I think NJ needs a strong voice in the Senate. Corey B fits that bill. But he was the front runner against the Governor and Dodged it. A Deal? no Guts? i don't know but he has allow a walk in for Gov Christie. Result an easy election for both.No I cannot vote for him today.

Aug. 13 2013 11:36 AM
mick from NYC

Does anyone remember? When the Obama campaign dared to speak the truth about Romney's record as a destroyer of middle class jobs, Booker, went on NBC’s "Meet the Press" and let the nation know he was "nauseated, just nauseated!" by that "campaign tactic" against Mitt Romney. "I think that what he did is in his interest," Newark Councilman Ras Baraka said. "The press is going to go away, they will forget this comment. But the people who finance campaigns, they will remember." So, is Booker running as the Private Equity-safe candidate? His fundraising success sure seems to show it!

Aug. 13 2013 11:30 AM
Guest from North Jersey

I feel that Cory Booker is an interesting and intelligent man, but I also recognize that he is ambitious. Therefore, I don't believe he is running for US Senate because he's in it for the long haul to help NJ. I think he's in it as a stepping stone to a White House run.
Well, I'm not your stepping stone, Mr. Booker. I want someone who's in it to help NJ, not help himself to a higher office.
I'm voting for Holt.

Aug. 13 2013 11:22 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

Brian-

This tweeting of pics after voting is totally lame. You really should put the kibosh on it. I'd spend the time encouraging people to get to the polls despite the rain.

Aug. 13 2013 11:20 AM
Katen Moore from North Plainfield, NJ

The democratic choices were all great, so it was very difficult. I was tempted to vote for Alieta Eck to make sure that the Republicans lose. I did not want to vote for Booker, but he will win anyway...so I voted for Oliver, really because she's a woman...

not a great reason, but if we end up with someone like Eck we are really in trouble.

Aug. 13 2013 11:11 AM