Warren Moon Reflects

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Warren Moon, the first and only African-American quarterback to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and author of the new autobiography Never Give Up on Your Dream: My Journey, talks about his life as a football star.

Warren Moon

Joe Hurry from Las Vegas

Someof these racist people on the site sound like jimmy the greek (geek). He not only didn't not get drafted he couldn't even walk on the field of an NFL team to tryout?! That was so white boys could continue to play at a slower pace?! Now I like some of the white QB's would get in a pushing contest with them, but their fans...Man I wish I could knock you out?! Or you telling me...I could play qb for some of those teams after Warren won the Rose Bowl like pittsberg steelers, san diego chargers, boston pats, st. louis cardinals, chicago bears, New Jets, San Francisco 49'ers, New Orleans saints, Green Bay Packers, and the detroit Lions...Even the NFL said they did it because of race...watch nfl films fools then talk and not that mubo jumbo crap it gives football a bad name?!

Sep. 14 2009 04:26 PM
Joe Hurry from las Vegas

For the scumbagkocksmuckerlowlife who thinks it's okay to mess with a mans life...Kiss my butt?! How would you feel if you knocked out the heavyweight champion and they didn't give you the belt?! Instead they make excuses on why you should have lost?! This is a comeback story for the human spirit?! To anybody who gets kicked, punched, knocked down and gets back up regardless of race is always a hero?! The NFL should have been sued for racial descrimination based on the fact that a black man was not smart enough to play football in the 70's?! Give me a F!@#$%^&*()king break?! Sorry Warren for my out burst, but these idiots could never have done what you did and make it to the hall of fame?! Ching-ching$$ my brother I only wished I could have been your star running back in Canada instead of going to vietnam war. Talk at cha' later email me?!

Sep. 14 2009 04:13 PM
Joe B from East Village, NYC

Warren Moon is a self righteous, pompous hypocrite. Just hearing his voice brings feelings of anger and disgust.

Aug. 06 2009 02:13 PM
Paulson from Wall Street

Ho hum. The old "why aren't there more black _____s in _____ . This subject had been done to death and has miniscule relevance to professional football where black athletes dominate the sport.

Aug. 06 2009 11:28 AM
John Celardo from Fanwood, NJ

I don't begrudge salaries, but ticket prices have gone through the roof. Going to a sporting event has become an elite activity. What do you say to us comon folks who can't go to a game any more?

Aug. 06 2009 10:58 AM
ceolaf from brooklyn

When looking NFL contracts, you have to understand that they are largely fictions. Contracts are not guaranteed, players can be cut and contracts are renegotiated all the time.

When looking at an NFL contract, you need to consider two numbers. First, how much is guaranteed. Second, how much of the contract is in the first three years.

Aug. 06 2009 10:56 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Doug Williams still isn't in the Hall of Fame?? (I'm a Redskins fan but not a football fan generally, or I'd probably have already known that! & I'd know more about Warren Moon's career, too.)

Aug. 06 2009 10:53 AM
Maria from Harlem

First: GO Big Blue!

Second: The problem with not having sufficient Black Quarter Backs is on the high school and college level. If there are very few Black or minority quarter backs on that level, there's going to be even fewer Black or minority quarter backs on the NFL level.

Aug. 06 2009 10:52 AM
ceolaf from brooklyn

The lack of comparisons of players across color lines has been repeatedly noted by Bill Simmons, probably ESPN.com's top writer.

He makes such comparisons, and usually points out that he is doing it when he does, castigating his professional for its hesitance to do so.

Aug. 06 2009 10:52 AM
the truth from bkny

ughh..race issue again.

Love you Warren, can't wait to read your book.

Aug. 06 2009 10:51 AM
Sheldon from Crown Heights

I lived in Houston in the early 90's and Warren Moon was one of the first Football Athletes that I admired both on and off the field. I would ask Warren if that Buffalo play-off lost still hurts and what he thinks about Micheal Vick coming back to the NFL.

Aug. 06 2009 10:51 AM
Ludemill from Westchester, NY

Can Mr. Moon touch on steroid use in the NFL? Does he believe it is as accepted/abused as much as it was during MLB's peak?

Aug. 06 2009 10:50 AM
seth

Warren Moon was a great quarterback and I loved watching him play.

Aug. 06 2009 10:49 AM
Matt from UWS

Wondering what Mr. Moon thinks of Art Rooney Jr. and his efforts to get the NFL to encourage African-Americans to enter upper management.

Aug. 06 2009 10:49 AM
ceolaf from brooklyn

Let's be clear: Warren Moon was far from the first black quarterback in the NFL, and it's not just that there were a few way back in the day.

For example, the year before he graduated, Doug Williams started 10 games for Tampa Bay.

Also, as great a player as Warren Moon was -- and he deserves be in the Hall of Fame -- adding CFL and NFL stats is ridiculous. CFL rules favor passing in a larger number of ways (e.g. a longer field, fewer downs, offensive players can move towards the line of scrimmage before the snap), and the quality of the players is generally far below that of the NFL.

Warren Moon was a great great player, no question. But there's no need to exaggerate his accomplishments.

Brian should ask him about the decision (his own) to go the CFL rather than the NFL.

Aug. 06 2009 10:48 AM
kai from NJ-NYC

Mr. Moon, ran the first "Greatest Show on Turf" in Houston in the 1980s before Kurt Warner and the Rams ever did.

Loved watching him play even when he beat the Steelers. Respect.

Aug. 06 2009 10:48 AM
Lamar from Queens

You mentioned that Warren Moon was the first black QB in the NFL. Warren Moon was not the first black QB in the NFL. The first black QB was Willie Thrower. (http://espn.go.com/classic/obit/s/2002/0221/1338084.html). Warren Moon was the first prominent black QB along with Doug Williams (Washington Redskins).

Aug. 06 2009 10:45 AM
Phillip from Manhattan

THE First black QB to start in the NFL was Fritz Pollard in 1923....sorry Warren

Aug. 06 2009 10:45 AM
Christina from Manhattan

Ugh. Can a black man be a QB? Why are you even going there? This subject has been done to death.

Aug. 06 2009 10:44 AM
seth

Of course Eli Manning is not worth his salary. No other professional athletes are worth theirs either. At least the NFl, NBA, and NHL have a salary cap. MLB should implement a salary cap.

Aug. 06 2009 10:16 AM