CHART: See How Your School Performed on State Tests

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Want to know how your school survived this year's plummeting test scores? Type in the name of a New York City public school. We will show you the test scores from 2008 through 2013. You also will see the comparison to similar schools based on grade level, elementary schools' average compared to your elementary school, same thing for middle schools.

Tags:

Jessie Guido from Pompano Beach, Florida

I am a retired school teacher. I took the math test and carelessly got two problems wrong, doing them in my head. I could kick my self for doing that. However, I realize that this is just what a kid will do when trying to solve these problems. Instead of taking the time to go back to basics he/she will just take a GUESS!!! That will account for the scores below the 50% level . Soooo what can we do about this kind of a test? Obviously teach to the test! I know how to do that. Throw out the live class room and put in a robot. Bad Bad Bad way to encourage learning. A person no matter what age, there needs to be a reason for a person to want to digest a new subject material. It must be related to their immediate life experience and understanding with time to absorb concepts and use them. I graduated 8th grad at PS 148 in Queens NYC at 12 year of age, and took the test to enter Hunter College High School. I got the lowest grade in English I think for the whole city as I had an undetected vision problem and could not read for many year. However I got a math score in the upper 97% and was admitted to Hunter High. Long story short, I finally overcame my vision problem, graduated from Hunter College, earned a Masters Degree from Florida Atlantic university in Administration and Supervision and am now retired After teaching elementary, middle and finally high school for 23 years. My kids loved to learn because I loved to let them learn about life and all that they needed to be successful. Test scores do not rate a teachers ability to reach her kids. That is what makes a good teacher, a great teacher.

Aug. 08 2013 06:40 PM
Stanton Green from West Long Branch, NJ

The system is certainly broken. When tests pass about a quarter of the students (5% in Rochester?!), then
a) Students aren't learning
b) Teachers aren't teaching
c) The test is meaninglesss
d) The teachers aren't teaching to the test.

Answer - (d) but in a good sense, because one should never teach to the test because:
Answer - (a).

Experimental schools like City as School (which I could not find in the data so I assume that they do not buy into standardized testing) understand the active nature of student engagement and learning. Teaching and learning (pedagogy) needs to be flipped so that teachers are enabled to help students learn the skills necessary to process information (historical and current) so that they - the students - can create their knowledge base in a critical way. When schools focus on content as presented by texts and lectures - students will forever be cramming an ever-increasing, and increasingly irrelevant set of information and processing little of it.

Changing tests does not change anything. One cannot solve a problem by using the same mind set that created it - Albert Einstein.

Aug. 08 2013 02:40 PM
Coulter Jones (WNYC) from New York

Charter Schools are now in the data. You can search for them to see each school's performance.

This chart is meant to quickly show how each school did compared to schools with similar grades throughout the city. We thought that was a more accurate approach than showing every school compared to the overall city-wide proficiency. Proficiency rates are not uniform across grades. Schools with grades 3-5 should, on average, have a higher proficiency rate than schools with grades 6-8.

This chart doesn't compare each school to "peer" schools. There are lots of ways to judge a school on socioeconomic, student needs or other factors. We weren't trying to make any of those judgements in this chart, but we will be adding this data to our Schoolbook database (http://data.schoolbook.org), where we try to look at each school in the context of multiple factors.

If you have other questions or comments e-mail me at cjones[at]wync.org

Aug. 08 2013 02:17 PM
a grandma

Perhaps I'm not reading the graph correctly. It seems to me it should show four lines, two for pass rates and two for similar schools, not two. What am I not seeing?

Aug. 08 2013 11:13 AM
joan from Brooklyn

My child's experience, many years ago, in the public school system was horrendous. As an old woman I sometimes feel guilt about having put him through the awful experiences he had with adults and other children. It seems to have only gotten worse. I dread having to send my granddaughter into a system that has adults fighting over control, charter dollars and consultant's fees. Children's well being ends up nowhere. In recalling the damage done to him my son said that what people don't understand is that there is no real desire to have children learn. The system is set up to sort out winners from losers. The real winners are the wealthy whose children don't have to put up with any of this in their schools.

Aug. 08 2013 10:54 AM
msgrif from Brooklyn

How did students do on the Regents that are taken in the High Schools?

Aug. 08 2013 10:10 AM
Lora from new York

Schoolbook needs to change the description. These are NOT similar schools. They are just all schools with the same grade levels. Very misleading.

Aug. 08 2013 09:48 AM
marcella from Palisades, NY

How may I find information for NY schools not in NYC? thank you

Aug. 08 2013 09:36 AM
Concerned mom from Brooklyn

Where are the Charter School scores? I typed the name of my child's school and it was not listed. Will the list be updated soon to include public charter schools.

Aug. 08 2013 12:44 AM
Maeve from Bay ridge

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/pressRelease/20130807/home.html has all the scores. Click into the scores by district and building aggregates and search for the school's name. Nyc DOE has the nyc charter scores but only listed by school code (not name). http://schools.nyc.gov/Accountability/data/TestResults/ELAandMathTestResults note that the charter data doesn't provide any demographic breakdown. Peeved in PH, community roots did ok, esp at 4th grade, but not as well as one might expect given its affluent student population (compare to ps 11 and ps 8). Interesting stuff.

Aug. 07 2013 11:48 PM
Penelope Katsaras from Astoria

I can't find my children's charter school here or on the DOE website.

Aug. 07 2013 10:34 PM
Old Teacher from Manhattan

What will we tell our students when they become hysterical?

Aug. 07 2013 08:52 PM
peeved in prospect heights from Brooklyn

@maeve I can't find a link on the DOE site to charter school scores. Could you please post the link or tell me where exactly I can find the info? TIA!

Aug. 07 2013 08:08 PM
maeve from bay ridge

charter school results are available on the state dept of ed website and the city DOE website.

Aug. 07 2013 06:37 PM
Jane from Brooklyn

Does anyone know when individual charter school data will be available?

Aug. 07 2013 06:10 PM
maeve from bay ridge

similar schools *should* be as kristen described (usually they present ethnic breakdowns rather than nationality). however, the charts above are comparing the school against "similar schools based on grade level," i.e., the average for elementary schools, middle schools, or K-8 schools. they don't say if they are using citywide averages or statewide. it also seems as if graphs are not available for charter schools, so it's not clear to me whether they included charters in the averages.

Aug. 07 2013 05:56 PM
Mom from Manhattan

I know that's how the DOE classifies schools when they compute the Progress Report grades. It isn't clear to me that this chart is utilizing the same method. I've looked at a number of different schools with different demographics but the "similar schools" trend lines remain the same.

Aug. 07 2013 05:41 PM
Kristen from Queens

Similar schools would be schools with student populations of similar socio-economic backgrounds from similar neighborhoods. In other words, same percent of students below poverty line, English Language Learners, Learning Disabilities and nationality.

Aug. 07 2013 04:54 PM
Mom from Manhattan

Can you explain how you determine which schools fall into the "similar schools" category?

Aug. 07 2013 04:35 PM