Fewer than One Third of New York City Students Pass State Tests

Achievement Gap Persists

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 10:10 AM

Board of Regents Chancellor Merryl Tisch, left, and Education Commissioner John King release 2013 state test scores. (Beth Fertig)

Test scores for New York City students plummeted this year, with 26.4 percent of third through eighth graders passing the English tests and 29.6 percent passing the math tests. Education officials tried to allay concerns, saying the tests created a new baseline that better reflects what students need to thrive.

The city scores were slightly lower than the statewide averages which dropped from the previous year by between 24 and 35 percentage points. Last year, 55 percent of the students tested in New York State were proficient in English while this year the number was 31.1 percent. In math, the state average last year was 64.8 percent compared to 31 percent this year.

A slide presentation of the New York City data is available here

We have the school-by-school results below. Just type in a school name and see scores over the last five years and how they compare to similar schools.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg worked hard to put a positive spin on the numbers: "When you take a look at them and understand them I think actually there is some very good news, even though people haven’t written it that way yet."

But New York State Education Commissioner John King said he knows the results are shocking.

“I understand these scores are sobering for parents, teachers, and principals," King said. "It’s frustrating to see our children struggle.  But we can’t allow ourselves to be paralyzed by frustration; we must be energized by this opportunity. The results we’ve announced today are not a critique of past efforts; they’re a new starting point on a road map to future success."

The Common Core learning standards that underpin this year's tests emphasize reading comprehension, more writing and problem solving in both English and math.

“The world has changed, the economy has changed, and what our students need to know has changed,” Board of Regents Chancellor Merryl Tisch said in a statement. "We have just finished the first year of a dramatic shift in teaching and learning.  Teachers, principals, superintendents and school boards have worked extraordinarily hard to implement the Common Core," she said.

We posted the state's slide presentation with data breakdowns and analysis below.

Both King and Tisch said they were concerned about the persistent achievement gap for low-income students, African-American and Hispanic students, and English Language Learners. On the English test, only 16.1 percent of African-American students and 17.7 percent of Hispanic students met or exceeded the proficiency standard. Just 3.2 percent of English Language Learners were deemed proficient on the English test and 9.8 percent passed the math standard.

Reaction to the state numbers was swift.

Ernest Logan, the president of the principals' union, the Council of School Supervisors and Administrators, blamed the score drop on a lack of training among teachers and principals ahead of the tests. These were the first exams aligned to the state's new learning standards known as Common Core and they are meant to measure success in a curriculum many educators haven't started using in the classroom yet.

“We don’t want these scores to end up undermining the success of the Common Core, placing the blame on educators and decimating the self-esteem of children.  We trust that education officials will stick to their word not to  punish schools for low scores and we can look forward to core standards that will gradually elevate our children’s critical thinking skills and broaden their perspective on life and learning,” he said.

Michael Mulgrew, president of the United Federation of Teachers, struck the same theme.

"We knew three years ago that the state was changing its tests to the Common Core tests. We have been asking for a curriculum since that point in time," Mulgrew said. "Standing here today, in August, we still have not been supplied a curriculum."

Nathalie Elivert, StudentsFirstNY Director of Educator Outreach and former New York City public school teacher, warned against using the results to score political points.

“We must put children’s interests first.  The issue here is not about low results, but setting a higher bar. We need to move to these higher Common Core standards, adopted by forty-five states and the District of Columbia, so that our students are prepared for whatever it is they want to do after high school," she said.

Another parent, Tesa Wilson from Brooklyn's school district 14, rallied with the group New Yorkers for Great Public Schools outside the Department of Education headquarters on Chambers Street in lower Manhattan. She said the scores were another sign of failure on the part of Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

"In my district, the D.O.E. has forgone their responsibility to the students and parents. They closed a school, co-located many, starved them of resources and turned their backs on the students that need the most help," she said. "We call on the next mayor take us in a different direction."

Damon Hewitt, director of the education practice at the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, said he hoped the Bloomberg administration would not punish schools, educators or students for the lower scores. "Our nation's best educators know that true student learning cannot be fully captured by any single test. Current and future D.O.E. leadership should use this opportunity to move towards a more sensible, holistic approach to assessment and accountability."

Bloomberg said it would make no sense to use the scores as a performance measure this year. "We are not going to take a teacher and say 'your scores went down.' Because the scores didn’t go down. There’s no ways of knowing if the scores went down. They’re just two totally separate things that you can’t compare."

Starting on August 26, families will be able to see their child’s test results online, at arisparentlink.org.

2013 ELAandMathTestScores

Tags:

Branden from Syracuse New York

These Tests are a bunch of Bull I tried to pass both my Math tests (Integrated Algebra and Common Core) I failed twice with my algebra test I am so tired of this crap that I don't even want to take this damn test again I am ready to boycott it all together. I have over 200 students willing to back me up as-well if they don't change these damn tests and actually give us things that we know instead of what we don't know they will have a problem. Plus I have Panic attacks along with Asthma and Anxiety these tests don't help me in these problems either.

Jun. 25 2014 01:22 PM
need to sop from NEW YORK

Is Mayor Bill de Blasio is going to change the regent grading system to its old ways. Because in my school (Academy Of Medical Technology) there is a-lot of A's student and they are seniors,they fail the u.s history and the English and the only have one chance in June to pass it and if they don they won't graduate.They should change it back because the teacher know their student. the teachers don't cheat for their students.

Feb. 17 2014 06:23 PM

swatg

swatg

swatg

swatg

swatg

Sincere Robinson from ney york

even though im a straight A student i believe state test is stupid schools just need to have test every month.i beg a chage.

Nov. 28 2013 10:14 AM
Alisha Heng

The easiest test in the world they should cut down 1 hour and 20 minutes I had so much fucking time left and every one in my school finshed the test with like 1 hour at least left in my gifted class and we all scored high.

Nov. 24 2013 04:17 PM
Alisha Heng

The state tests were so easy especially the english the people who didn't pass just need to study harder but I am intelligent naturally so I never study and I am a straight A student!!!! I had time to fall asleep for 1 hour for every day of the test. I got full score on every thing yippeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov. 24 2013 04:07 PM
Ibrahim Jalloh from 220735872

I want to find my state test grade.

Oct. 17 2013 06:39 PM
Anonymous from NYC

Let me just say something. I took the 6th grade test, and it was easy as pie--in my opinion. For example, we had a paired-passage essay using two articles about scientist studying ______ and _______. For the third paragraph we had to write about what the scientists were studying and how we knew. Now this was utterly pointless and stupid, because you could just cite the titles of the passages for a passable answer. The only problem was that they drastically increased the amount of questions. I barely scraped by for ELA Day 2--didn't get to finish the conclusion of the essay. And the math? One of my classmates was in tears by the end of Day 3. I admit that I had the time to triple-check my answers, but it must have been really difficult for some.

Aug. 25 2013 05:01 PM
danielle speziale

All The Small Things
By : Danielle Speziale

When you were little you probably had big plans for your life. You wanted to be an astronaut or a doctor or a singer or a writer or monster or anything. Some of us achieve our dreams , others stray from the path. My question was, what small moment makes us realize that we cannot live by those childish dreams and are forced to face reality. Now looking at the bigger picture most people are not sure what made them change their mind. But to me I realized its the tiniest moment that makes people stray from the path they originally planned. For me it was failing. I wanted to be a writer until I started to fail school. But it wasn't failing all together , it was the first bad grade I got on a test. It was 5th grade and I failed a math test. Now looking back I'm not sure what math ever had to do with writing. But that small moment really changed my mind.
Now lets examine a theoretical person. We have a child , a 1st grader who wants to be a doctor. Now for that first grader every little thing is huge. So that 1st grader goes on to be a 3rd grader and fails a test just like I did. So this child goes home to his parents and they get mad about his or her failing grade there goes that child's' dream. BUT if that child goes home with that failing grade and his or her parents help them study and they do better on the next test , they are no longer discouraged and have brushed themselves off and continued on to dream of being a doctor. So looking at this child and their test it seems like a very small thing to take away a dream. But to children all moments are gigantic because they think only about the present. For them there is no past to worry about or future to make plans for. Just one dream and one goal.
As we get older we seem to stop paying attention to the present and we allow our past to affect the life we planned. Now lets look at this child 20 years later, they are a successful pediatrician, they make a good living and they are doing quite well. That success could have been ruined years before that by one small test. So , what I'm getting at is as people we forget what tiny moments do for our lives. We forget to count the small things. We forget what it means to remember those fractions of time. We forget to say thank you , we forget to say I love you , we forget to make coffee in the morning. Those small moments effect our day and sometimes our lives.
So I ask you , what moment made you change? Or what moment made you not change? Whatever that moment is, I bet it was no big event. I bet when you get down to the pure core of the real first reason you stopped believing in something or stopped trying to achieve something , you get down to 3 or 4 seconds of your life that could have very well been changed if someone knew to pay attention to the small moments.

Aug. 08 2013 04:54 PM

Aug. 08 2013 04:52 PM
danielle speziale

All The Small Things
By : Danielle Speziale--15 years old

Aug. 08 2013 04:51 PM
Dan McConnell from Central NY

I am also concerned about the achievement gap between low income and high income students. I am assuming that the nice private and charter schools that our NY ed leaders temporarily taught in (if they taught), started, or possibly went to themselves employ these revolutionary achievement tactics currently "reforming" schools for the masses: De-funding, over-mandating, copious amounts of testing/field testing/practice testing/testing based evaluations and disrespect for the local educators who know their local students and families... if those are the practices that have enabled children of the privileged to hit such high marks, I guess it really is time to share that magic and close the gap.

Aug. 08 2013 04:31 PM

It is ridiculous, testing kids on the common core curriculum, when they haven't been taught said curriculum.

That said:
Why is there no "Scale Score" only a "% Correct" number? I'd like to know how my child did compared to all the other students taking the same test.

Aug. 08 2013 01:17 PM
Yi Lin

I go to a gifted and talented program at P.S.122. The test wasn't too hard in my opinion, but there simply was not enough time. I'm a quick worker but I only barely scraped through ELA Days 2 and 3, and Math Day 3. The tests really scared some of my friends, some of them even crying because they weren't able to finish the tests. The DOE isn't raising the bar at all, because if they did, they would provide teachers with a curriculum students can study from. If they wanted to, then they would ease students into the new standard, not throw it all on students one year. Fifteen people at my school failed this year when I haven't even heard of someone failing before. I can't even imagine how mad some parents will be once they see their children's scores, misunderstanding and punishing them for a faulty education system.

Aug. 08 2013 11:46 AM
CCSSIMath

We took a closer look at some of New York's released math test questions:

Aug. 08 2013 08:37 AM
Seth from NYC

WNYC, you should not display the results in the line chart as you do in this article. Forget the spin about whether the new test is right or wrong or whether it was too soon or students were unprepared. The test this year was set to a new standard. That is not in dispute. Year over year results tell you nothing more than the fact that students are not doing as well relative to the new standard. You cannot use the year over year results it to assess an individual student, group of students, teacher or school. You should, at the very least, have a break in the line to 2013 but I would say you need to find a different visual altogether.

Aug. 08 2013 08:06 AM
Alexis Marie from Queens.

I took this test, the 7th grade NYS Test, and I have to say that the test was unfair. First of, there was not enough time. I'm in an honors class and the majority of the students in my class and the other honor classes would have needed more time to really check their work. Although some students from lower classes claimed that had an extra ten minutes or so, probably not putting as much thought into question and answers. Not only was the time not fair to everyone, but some questions were a bit confusing. There were also typos in the ELA test. The math was not as hard, as many people, including I, found it easy. The ELA test was probably harder compared to the math, especially the second and third book. I hope that the test makers will improve the test so the students who will take it next year, including myself, will find it fair and feel confident about it.

Aug. 07 2013 10:49 PM
Kristen

In the article, parent Tesa Wilson states that the DOE has turned its back on the students that need the most help.

THAT STATEMENT COULDN'T BE MORE TRUE.

Funding is withheld from low-performing schools. In accordance with the spiral effect, these are the schools with students from similar socio-economic backgrounds. As a result, black/hispanic students perform poorly, money is withheld, teachers are threatened, schools shut down and everyone wonders why there is an achievement gap and why New Yorkers have performed so abysmally on this test.

Don't even get me started on how shoddily constructed the 2 state tests were for 5th graders this year. I remember a distracting article all about "pee" and a multitude of oddly worded questions that I couldn't even answer.

Not to mention the fact that schools here have performed consistently worse as testing years have continued. No one is "raising the bar." In fact, we are lowering it by focusing on instructing 9 year olds to dialogue texts rather than providing a quality well-rounded education. Maybe the reason the test scores are slipping isn't because of the shift to Common Core. The emphasis on standardized testing has destroyed passion and dampened children's ability to learn.

Aug. 07 2013 10:31 PM
Tahseen

I took the test, and I can tell you, all 6 days, the test wasn't hard, it was harder, but not not hard. THE PROBLEM WAS THERE WASN'T ENOUGH TIME. YOU CAN'T EXPECT SOMEONE TO FINISH SOMETHING LIKE THAT! IT ISN'T POSSIBLE I GO TO A GIFTED AND TALENTED PROGRAM AT P.S.122 AND I CAN TELL YOU, AS FAR AS I KNOW, NO ONE HAS FAILED, EVER UNTIL NOW, AND THE BIGGEST COMPLAINT IS THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH TIME!

Aug. 07 2013 09:56 PM

Bloomberg may say that the tests won't count this year in their evaluation of teachers. But what about the damage done to the self-esteem and success of the students? Students are put under huge amounts of pressure, particularly in fourth grade (and I had 2 children in fourth grade this past school year). We send our kids to school on Saturdays for test prep, and teachers spend a unit of regular class time to focus on the test, and all for what? A corporate idea of data and analytics?

If the goal is to educate our children and to instill in them a love of learning, then we MUST do away with standardized testing and cease using our students as guinea pigs for some cockamamie scheme to evaluate teachers and schools. And all of this done with the barely veiled, ulterior goal of privatizing our public education in NYC.

Aug. 07 2013 09:19 PM
nuff said

If you test a fish on how well it can fly will you be surprised when it fails? Parents know that 70% of their kids are NOT failures. When your phone or computer crashes who fixes it---your 10 year old that's who. Maybe these numbers will serve a purpose bringing to light some hidden agendas---who knows?
Personally I believe this generation is far better and smarter then some would like it to appear . Yes they are being negatively impacted by a narrowing of curriculum and maybe that's what these results really show--think about it.

Aug. 07 2013 03:47 PM
Renee Dinnerstein

I am a literacy consultant and I work in a few NYC public schools. From what I have observed, the test did not move the bar higher so as to meet the Common Core Standards. The questions often had nothing to do with the standards. Many of them were not grade appropriate and many were also unclear. Adults could not understand how to answer them. This caused many children to become anxious and depressed. There were even cases of children vomiting on their test papers. This is NOT acceptable.

Aug. 07 2013 01:06 PM