Bonuses, Unemployment Benefits, and Clunker Cash

Monday, August 03, 2009

Believe it or not, there is non-health care economic news out there. Heidi Moore, freelance economics reporter (read her twitter stream here) and Diane Brady of Business Week preview the top economic stories of the week.

Diane Brady

hjs from 11211

Aaron
after reading the article u provided. I'd like to note as an FYI only the loans were expected to be paid back other subsidies were not expected to be paid back. these programs, mostly written by the bush team, were rolled out as emergency measures, they were not well thought out, like much of the bush years, and we don't have to agree with them, but we are stuck with it for now. that's what the guest meant when he was talking about loans being paid back. the other gift we have to write off. PS the government is owned by wall st shareholders. they run the show, not enough voters care or even understand the basics.

Aug. 03 2009 03:58 PM
Aaron Whitby from Brooklyn

HJS, you're welcome. Hope you find them informative.

Aug. 03 2009 12:14 PM
hjs from 11211

Aaron
i'm reading your links thanks for the info

Aug. 03 2009 12:03 PM
Aaron Whitby from Brooklyn

HJS, WNYC ask us to be brief...I've given you a couple of links to start your ball rolling. If you have no interest in the relationship bt Wall St and the Federal Govt I can;'t help you, I only hope you don't; vote in ignorance.
BTW
My claims were not wild, and certainly no vaguer than the
supposed experts Brian interviewed.

Aug. 03 2009 11:51 AM
hjs from 11211

Aaron
actually you shouldn't make wild and vague claims and assume we know what you're talking about or that I have time to do the research to support your point. I'll research what I have interest in. you should be able to support your claims thanks

Aug. 03 2009 11:23 AM
Aaron Whitby from Brooklyn

HJS, here are a couple of links to get you started but it's really incumbent on you to do your own research if you want to have an informed opinion.

Look further, just because congress capped TARP at $700billion doesn't mean the Fed and the Treasury secured billions more for Wall St.

Aug. 03 2009 11:13 AM
hjs from 11211

Aaron
tell us what are the facts??

Aug. 03 2009 10:52 AM
Chris from New York

We bailed out all "Wall St." to the tune of billions of dollars, why can't we help "Main Street" a bit. Really it's 1-3 billion vs. 300+ billion.

Yes to Cash-For-Clunkers!!! Cleaner cars, stimulated economy, American steel, American made parts, more jobs, money to dealerships in America!!

Aug. 03 2009 10:51 AM
Aaron Whitby from Brooklyn

FACTS BRIAN,
how can you let your guests wildly mis-state fatcs...it's bad journalism. I've had you on for 3 mins and heard complete fabrications go past unchallenged! TARP was not simply $700 billion, you know this, challenge it. Goldman Sachs have not paid back all their govt loans, it's a lie, they;ve manipulated their status to a unique hybrid where they behave as before but now with taxpayer money.
Brian you've got to be tougher and more truth obsessed.

Aug. 03 2009 10:46 AM
Chris from New York

Brian, I just traded in my 1990 Jeep Cherokee and bought a new car. The past year or so I have not spent a cent, as I was painfully aware of the recession and held tight to all my money. Before the recession I was a very responsible consumer and now have a Tier 1 credit rating. When I bought my new car I was able to put an additional 10k down in addition to the 4,500 I got from the CFC Program. Had this program not come about I would not have bought a car. I would have held off for at least another 3-5 years. This recession has made me very afraid to spend cash, however, this incentive helped me to get over that.

Thanks Clash-For-Clunkers!!

Aug. 03 2009 10:45 AM
kai from NJ-NYC

It can be true that BOTH people were being opportunistic and waiting for the "cash for clunker" money AND that those people that might be using credit to purchase these cars were in better economic shape to take on these loans.

Does Ms. Moore only think that those that opt for credit cannot afford it? Smart use of credit with good terms of finance, with the ultimate goal of paying that debt off is the way entrepreneurship works.

Aug. 03 2009 10:43 AM
the truth from bkny

Yep let's continue to "throw money" at the issues concerning the public! We can just print more!

Aug. 03 2009 10:40 AM
lisa from Union Square

Don't forget the environmental benefits of the program. the $4,500 is also an incentive to reduce carbon emissions and lessen the environmental cost in the future.

Aug. 03 2009 10:39 AM
Judith Targove from Highland Park, NJ

The clip you played did not say the economy was imkproving. It said consumer confidence in the economy was improving.

Aug. 03 2009 10:38 AM
hjs from 11211

Cash for Clunker was this a scam or did anyone buy cars?

Aug. 03 2009 10:36 AM
RJ from brooklyn

After how profoundly Alan Greenspan not only got virtually everything wrong, his laissez-faire approach inexorably led to the crisis we're in. Why is anyone paying attention to him anymore?

Aug. 03 2009 10:34 AM