Aural Etiquette: Phone Interviews 101

Monday, July 13, 2009

As the job market tightens, more and more employers are doing their first round of interviews over the phone. Caroline Ceniza-Levine, and Connie Thanasoulis, co-founders of SixFigureStart, a career coaching firm for students and young professionals, discuss how to ace that phone interview. Do you have aural etiquette tips? What are your phone interview horror stories? Or best results? Comment below!

Caroline Ceniza-Levine and Connie Thanasoulis

Jane Celwyn from Bronxville, NY

I was impressed by the solid advice that Caroline and Connie gave on phone interviews. And they provided enthusiasm and energy, something lacking from most conversations about the job market today!

Jul. 22 2009 08:09 AM
Tony from San Jose, CA

No cell phone, please

Jul. 14 2009 10:54 AM
lee from LA

Standing is great advice on a phone interview. It definitely makes you more alert and responsive, and also doesn't let you get into casual phone habits like being distracted by doodling, facebook or TV!

Also, it really helps to be alone, so you don't get double nerves thinking about what your sig other, roommate, etc think of your job hunting persona!

Jul. 13 2009 01:42 PM
Eugenia Renskoff from Williamsburgh, Brooklyn

Hello, Brian, The first thing is to have a phone for the potential employer to call you. I, unfortunately, cannot afford one. Mortgage faud and foreclosure have not helped in that respect at all.Eugenia Renskoff

Jul. 13 2009 01:00 PM
rylee from manhattan

I am a former Job Search Coach, suggest that if you do not feel comfortable going to friend or have friend in HR to practice, use video or record you speech and listen to it --when you feel ready for Primetime, go to the friend/coach.

Jul. 13 2009 10:58 AM
Sara Diament from NJ

As a working mother, I appreciate phone interviews. Arranging child care for an interview can be stressful and a phone interview is an opportunity for me to scope out an employer to see if the job is one I would be interested in pursuing further.
On a funny note, I recently got hired and this past Friday, I got a call at 4:45 from my prospective boss to say hello and touch base. My 4 children had just come home form camp, they were all starving and wanting snacks, and I had to lock myself in the bathroom to speak to the woman!

Jul. 13 2009 10:58 AM
Tracey from Ridgewood NJ

I would be THRILLED to actually get some sort of call. I have been filling out applications--all online which seems to be the way of the times. In return, I get absolutely no response (and I am not a bad hire prospect). Could your guest comment on the "silent treatment" of many HR departments?

Jul. 13 2009 10:57 AM
Hugh from Brookyn

One form of non-verbal (but still vocal) form of communication that does come across is breathing. A nervous person's breathing rate changes and it can be very noticeable over the phone.

Jul. 13 2009 10:56 AM
Cassandra from Brooklyn

1.) What do you do if you have a cold/cough on the day of your scheduled interview

2.) What do you do when they bring up salary very early on and you're worried that your previous high salary would rule you out?

Jul. 13 2009 10:53 AM