NAACP: Young at Heart?

Monday, July 13, 2009

As the NAACP centennial celebration gets underway in midtown, Tricia Rose, professor of Africana Studies at Brown University, looks at its relevance to the "hip hop generation." She is the author of The Hip Hop Wars: What We Talk About When We Talk About Hip Hop-And Why It Matters.

Tricia Rose

Erica from New York

Though the term "colored people" might be outdated, it is certainly more valid than the term "African American", which only narrowly describes the black community. Because the term "African American" refers to one's nationality -- not one's ethnicity -- it does not include blacks who have not been naturalized. Also, the term does not recognize the ethnic diversity of the African continent and instead encourages the perception that to be "African" is to be a (black) West African.

I could be down for NAAPC, as Brian suggested -- the change would make it relevant to an even wider range of people, Latinos for example.

Jul. 13 2009 12:55 PM
Joy from Work

I was president of my college chapter of NAACP 10 years ago and was energized by the Evers/ Mfume years. However, as soon as I graduated and became more concerned with working and actually "doing" things to affect change, I found the National Urban League to be more useful and progressive. As an African American from the South, I do admire and appreciate everything that the NAACP has done and will attend at least a few events for the 100 years. But that is only for commemorative sake and because I live here.

Jul. 13 2009 10:48 AM
Lisa from Brooklyn, NY

Relevancy and scandal are the issues we don't necessarily want to talk about on this 100 year anniversary of the NAACP.

I've given $$ to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, but I wouldn't be involved with the NAACP at this point. The Legal Defense Fund does the real work in voter protection, economic justice and criminal justice. (The Legal Defense Fund is no longer connected to the NAACP other than in name.)

Jul. 13 2009 10:46 AM
Telegram Sam from Staten Island

I quit when the national organization refused to get rid of the Dallas chapter head when he made anti-semitic comments.

Jul. 13 2009 10:44 AM
hjs from 11211

what's in a name. actions speak louder

Jul. 13 2009 10:43 AM
andy from bkln

I love brians conversations with tricia rose. theres a special dynamism that comes through when the two of you talk. i'm so glad she's becoming a "regular" on the show.

Jul. 13 2009 10:32 AM