Prospect Park's Prospects

Monday, July 29, 2013

David Colley, author Prospect Park: Olmsted and Vaux's Brooklyn Masterpiece (Princeton Architectural Press, 2013) and Elizabeth Keegin Colley, the book's photographer, talk about the "other" Olmsted and Vaux-designed park, its history, how it compares to Central Park and its future prospects.

Listeners: Have you seen Prospect Park change over the years?  Do you have a favorite memory?

David Colley and Elizabeth Keegin Colley
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Audrey Tumbarello from Brooklyn

Stop picking on Buffalo!
Buffalo has so much to offer..a great Philharmonic sited in an Aero Saarinen building, a world class museum (Albright Knox) as well as the Burchfield Museum, a (currently being restored) Frank Lloyd house, reasonably priced housing stock, tons of low priced family restaurants where you can enjoy Polish food as well as other nouvelle and ethnic cuisine, a lively music and theater scene,a great SUNY university as well as smaller colleges, a downtown area of distinctive beauty, farmer markets, etc. etc.
Although I live in (trendy) Park Slope, I visit family there often and am always busy and happy to be in this lively city.

Mar. 06 2014 11:15 AM
Audrey Tumbarello from Brooklyn, New York

I have an old postcard of Shelter House in Flower Garden, Prospect Park.Can you tell me anything about the House? There is no date on the postcard, but I also have a 1910 card of Ocean Parkway entrance to the Park (sent by Ralph to Ohio.)

Jul. 29 2013 12:06 PM
Tom from Brooklyn

Nice segment on Prospect Park.
In addition to its historical and architectural significance, it's also really important for migrating birds. I was going to share a memory of one walk I led for Brooklyn Bird Club last spring during which we saw 94 species of birds including 24 species of very beautiful warblers.

Jul. 29 2013 12:05 PM
emjayay from Brooklyn

Anna Sayle is a terrible moderator. Boring and humorless, and she often has a caller on and ignores what they say. Please do not have her on again. There must be a million people in NYC who could do a better job.

Jul. 29 2013 12:00 PM
antonio from baySide

Of course I meant streetcars in my transportation question...

Jul. 29 2013 11:55 AM
Theresa from Brooklyn

My mother, in her 70s, recalls croquet games in the park, which seems like a story book. She also recalls May Day festivities, with a May pole. My own wonderful memoory is more frm the natural world-- once while jogging, I came across a juvenile red-tailed hawk low in the trees, jumping from branch to branch. It was an enormous, wild-looking bird, and absolutely silent. It was breathtaking.

Jul. 29 2013 11:51 AM
antonio from baySide

Was there any transportation considerations when it was built originally?

Jul. 29 2013 11:50 AM
RJ from prospect hts

I intensely dislike the management of public parks (including Central Park as well as Prospect) by private nonprofit entities. My taxes are intended for public facilities such as these and I am tired of getting donation requests from entities controlling *my* public space. I have also lived near Prospect Park for the last 25+ years, and the disparity in improvements has been notable. The wealthier Park Slope side of the park, including the roadway, the playgrounds, the Bandshell, the green spaces, has gotten the priority in maintenance and renovation activity. I well know about bike riding along the roadway, and the repaved section routinely ends at the Empire Blvd section and restarts near the Grand Army Plaza end. The benches and water fountains on the Park Slope side have also been maintained/replaced long before the less-well-off Crown Heights/Prospect Lefferts side. With a nonprofit running the park--making these decisions--control is taken away from the elected officials who we vote in to actually manage public facilities and given to a separate entity that is increasingly more accountable to donors than to the public, whose tax dollars are increasingly decreased by public officials.

Jul. 29 2013 11:18 AM
antonio from baySide

Most of the park is top notch, But I am always amazed by the stretch of Flatbush/Ocean ave which looks pretty neglected. Compare that with the Prospect Park section which looks like an exterior shot of Downton Abbey!!

Jul. 29 2013 11:06 AM