Fifty Shades of Kale

Friday, July 26, 2013

Kale is healthy and delicious! Dr. Drew Ramsey, and Jennifer Iserloh, share recipes for preparing the super healthy and suddenly popular leafy green vegetable. Their book Fifty Shades of Kale includes recipes like Mushroom and Kale Risotto and Kale Kiwi Gazpacho, as well as nutritional information, cooking tips, and a tutorial on kale in all its glorious shades.

Jennifer Iserloh and Dr. Drew Ramsey
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Thanks again, Dr. Ramsey, for responding to the posters.

Aug. 01 2013 03:14 AM
Drew Ramsey MD from NYC Kale Patch

Lots of great comments and questions - Thanks everyone, and special thanks to all the folks who came by the book signing and kale tasting Saturday - everyone was raving about Leonard more than kale!

Starting at the top of the page:

@Nancy - You have perpetual kale! It happens and that is great - greens all winter long!

@Pephie - For sure many nutrients, esp minerals like calcium remain in traditional soups that use kale. Many add these as a last step. Things like folate will break down partially when heated and some phtyonutrients also get damaged. Cooking kale probably does help release some minerals as you suggest.

@Debra - Yes for sure, I failed to mention this - people on blood thinners like wafarin and coumadin need to be careful with kale as it has lots of vitamin K which interfere with the medicine. That said, you can work with your doctor to "dial in" a regular dose of greens and a dose of medicine that works.

@cynzanne - I know! Kale chips are super easy to make! I saw some for $8.99 that buys three big bunches of kale!

@Amy - Overhyped it may seem, but kale delivers. 2.2 grams of protein per 33 calories. Per calorie, that is close to beef. Check out these numbers: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2461/2

@Estelle - Collard greens are a fine dark leafy green. Much lower in Vit c, protein, iron. But still great for your health. I think the issue is that besides a bit less nutrient density, collards have less versatility in the kitchen.

@Noah - Thanks for remembering my comments in March! I have 5-6 varieties of "Chinese Kale" growing. Bok Choy is closely related. Also a low oxalate green (if I recall correctly) meaning more available calcium. I don't know if it is easier to digest, I'd guess they are similar.

Best,
Drew

Jul. 29 2013 04:59 PM
Nancy Braman from Port Washington

I've grown russian kale for years in my Port Washington garden, (before it gained its recent hipster status) and it now grows wild, self-seeding after I let the plants flower and go to seed. I haven't planted any for years and years. It grows like crazy until it starts getting eaten by something or other, and since I'm an organic garden I just let it go and wait until the next season when it always comes back. i like it best as a salad green this time of year, and was wondering why anyone bothers with boring lettuce since kale is very flavorful and has a wonderful texture as well. Your just need to rip the leaves off the tough stems, which you can reserve for sauteing, stock, etc. I also like to saute the kale with garlic, onions, or anything else. My quick and easy way to cook it is to throw the ripped up leaves and chopped stems into a covered bowl in the microwave with a little soy type cooking sauce (I use Soy Vey, but anything with good flavor will do). I cook it for a few minutes and eat it warm or cold. Mustard greens also come up every year in my garden, but not quite as prolifically as the kale. It's more pungent, and quite delicious mixed with other greens in a salad. Also good sauteed. My son has had good luck growing greens in a Manhattan patio garden.

Jul. 26 2013 01:22 PM
Pephie

Re cooking Kale. - Maybe not ALL nutrients go away with long cooking - such as in traditional kale soups. The mineral content, including lots of calcium, is actually more available after long cooking, according to some herbalists - when one's goal is primarily to strengthen bones for example, cooking kale more might be good for you. Comments on this?

Jul. 26 2013 01:08 PM

Was there any mention of bok choi or "Chinese cabbage"?

Easier to digest for most people than kale, collard greens or even spinach, no?

For observant Jews, however, take note that all leafy greens require careful checking for insects and can be problematic in this regard. Collard greens, at least, are easier in /this/ regard than bok choi.

Jul. 26 2013 01:02 PM
Linda from Jersey Shore

weird that I am commenting twice in one day but just a little story: you know how when you get a stomach virus the last thing you ate is now on your "I'll never eat that again" list?? (mine is spiral ham), well my daughter's boyfriend has "Kale Chips" on his list. Figures.. he's from Michigan farm country and grew up with hippie parents who grew lots of kale. So if you meet "Vic" working at Trader Joes in Union Square.. ask him if he likes Kale chip.

Jul. 26 2013 01:01 PM
Debra from out on the farm

Please remind people who are on blood thinners that Kale or any food with a lot of vitamin K can work against your medication. Although yummy, needs to be eaten with this in mind.

Jul. 26 2013 01:00 PM
Karen

Just discovered kale this season, and use the dark green and curly kinds as a wrap for salads, instead of pita or other kinds.

Jul. 26 2013 12:58 PM

@ The Producers:

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Have a nice weekend.

Jul. 26 2013 12:57 PM
cynzanne from Brooklyn

Why are Kale chips so EXPENSIVE in the store?????

Jul. 26 2013 12:55 PM
Amy from Manhattan

What I'm hearing just goes to show that even a food that's genuinely good for you can be overhyped. Kale as a protein source, seriously?

Jul. 26 2013 12:55 PM
Lopate Show Producers

@Independent_Noach

That's a great idea. We'll be sure to do that in the future.

Jul. 26 2013 12:54 PM
Estelle from Brooklyn

Nutritionally, how do collard greens compare to kale? I ask because I've been a lot more successful, tastewise, cooking collards.

Jul. 26 2013 12:50 PM

Let me take this opportunity to point-out that after his appearance on this show back on March 1st, Dr. Ramsey was gracious enough to come back the following day and make a post that replied to many of the questions and comments that had been left by listeners:

(And let thank you, Dr. Ramsey, for coming back a second time and replying to the followup post that I had made. I apologize for not acknowledging your response until now.)

Similarly, many listening and reading now will no doubt recall the "Please Explain" segment from May 17th on pasta:
One of the guests, Ron Palladino ("pasta expert and Fresh Pasta counter general manager at Eataly") was nice enough to come back on June 3rd and post a gracious, detailed reply to many of the comments and questions that had been posted by listeners.

In both cases, it would appear that few, if any, of those who had listened-to the shows in question and/or posted to the comment pages were even /aware/ of the replies that were posted by these guests.

And there are other, similar cases I could point-to as well. It clearly would appear that most people do not check back on a comment page for a given segment for much time after the segment has ended. (And the number of people who make use of RSS to follow a comment page for any new posts, would not appear to be many.)

In light of all this, and considering how rare it is for a guest to make any posts to the comment page for their segment, I would like to suggest that whenever a guest /does/ do this, an announcement be posted in a conspicuous place of the web site /and/ made on air.

Jul. 26 2013 12:49 PM
Tatiana from Weehawken, NJ

I have embraced kale thanks to Jennifer Iserloh's work and my husband's insistence on to embrace the green stuff! Chef G sends a warm hello!

Jul. 26 2013 12:30 PM
Tony from Canarsie

I checked out the book from the library yesterday. Haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but they all sound very yummy. Long live the Kale Renaissance!

Jul. 26 2013 12:12 PM