Mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner says he's putting his past behind him and moving forward in the mayoral race, despite new allegations that have come to light about continued explicit, online correspondence that took place after his resignation from Congress in 2011.
"I'm glad these things are behind us," Weiner said. "This was a very public thing that we had happen to us but by no means does it change the fundamentals of my feelings here and that is that I want to bring my vision to the people of the city of New York."
He added that he hopes New Yorkers will give him a second chance.
Weiner addressed reporters along with his wife, Huma Abedin.
"Really what I want to say is I love him, I have forgiven him, I believe in him and as we have said from the beginning, we are moving ahead."
The latest allegations to come to light were published Tuesday by a website called The Dirty. An anonymous woman told the website that she chatted and talked on the phone with Weiner.
In a statement released earlier on Tuesday, Weiner did not directly address the allegations, but he said that some of the latest internet postings are true and some are not. He said he has already acknowledged that more pictures were likely to come out, and now they have. He did not address the timing.
To listen to the full audio from Weiner's news conference this afternoon, click on the link here:
To hear WNYC's Amy Eddings and Andrea Bernstein discuss and analyze the news conference, click on the link here:
To hear WNYC's Soterios Johnson discuss Weiner's latest apology with Salon's Rebecca Traister, click on the link here:
And by clicking the audio link at the top of this page, you can hear WNYC's Amy Eddings speak to reporter Anna Sale about Weiner's apologies then and now, and to reporter Sarah Gonzalez about how voters are reacting to the latest scandal.