Is the Jersey Shore Repeating the Same Mistakes?

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sandy damage at the Jersey shore. (Scott Gurian/WNYC)

Scott Gurian, a reporter for a collaboration between New Jersey Public Radio and NJSpotlight.com to cover the Sandy rebuild, joins us to discuss the rebuilding process along the Jersey Shore, and concerns that it is not being done in a responsible way

pgodycki

Hi Christie!
Stronger then ever?
what about: Dumber then ever?

Jul. 23 2013 01:29 PM
steve from queens

It would be political suicide for Christie to say this to these people:

"most of, but not all of you folks bought these houses as second homes and investments after years of hearing stories in the media about future storm damage. You bought anyway. too bad. your investment soured. Fix it at your expense or sell it at a loss."

He can't say that to them. Now, i am not talking about middle class people and working class people who inherited houses or bought them before the climate change issue became relevant. I am talking about college educated people who are media savvy and read more than just the headlines and who bought these as second homes or who bought along the shore knowing the risks. It sickens me that these people are looking for taxpayer dollars. what many, not all of them, are are upper middle class welfare recipriants and socialists who take from the system while knocking Obama for his health plan. I bet if you took an honest poll along the shore about the views of these people (that dreaded "these people" term is now being used about white people; the shoe is on the other foot) on such topics as the affordable care act, food stamps, welfare, medicaid, etc, they would trash those hand outs - but now they are in line like a bunch of welfare addicts. Someone should tell them, "you made a bad investment, you lost. too bad."

Jul. 23 2013 11:57 AM

The shore has time & place utility that needs buildings to be best enjoyed. The hurricane of 1938 had a 19 to 25 foot storm surge. So the utility cost should factor in the probability of periodic inundation. Shoreline properties will be periodically damaged or destroyed. So make them cheap & easily rebuilt. Put the expensive stuff on higher floors. Reserve the ground level for cheap furniture.
Don't impede quick rebuilding or higher rebuilding with zoning.
Or put the building in a floatable hull with pilings to rise on.
The costs-risks-benefits should be judged by those who spend the money.
A cheap-enough structure might be rebuilt after every moon-tide, if it generates enough revenue.
But don't subsidize risky buildings with tax money!

Jul. 23 2013 11:52 AM
BK from Hoboken

As someone who spent most of my life's summers in Avalon, I have that sentimental attachment to the shore. I also recognize how important it is to the economy and culture of NJ. Lastly, I had been thinking about buying a beach home in te next few years for my young family. Sandy has made me re-think those plans. If I do move forward, it is because we now need to make a deal with the devil, if you will. We need to understand that the beach house I might buy in the next few years someday may be gone- reclaimed by Mother Nature. As long as people don't expect to be made whole, a take some risk themselves, I am ok with the status quo. But flood insurance etc should not be cheap- it should be expensive and homeowners need to be aware of and agree to that risk.

Jul. 23 2013 11:38 AM
ph

Well, stop building homes on the shore! At least businesses bring in revenue.

Jul. 23 2013 11:37 AM

Me me me
Where's mine??

Jul. 23 2013 10:35 AM
bernie from bklyn

seaside heights- no dunes. destruction.
seaside park- dunes. no destruction.
the taxpayers of nj and the rest of the country should not have to pay to help towns/cities that vote to do away w/ dunes because of "the view"

Jul. 23 2013 10:29 AM
super88@gmail.com

Don't insurance claims adjusters deal with this question professionally and scientifically?

Jul. 23 2013 10:29 AM