Tourists at Home

Friday, June 26, 2009

James and Michelle Nevius, tour-guide/entrepreneur husband-and-wife team and the authors of Inside the Apple: A Streetwise History of New York City (Free Press, 2009), share their favorite walks through Manhattan.

Laura from Manhattan

I've had the good fortune to take two different tours with Michelle and James Nevius -- the most recent just last weekend, when they gave a free tour of the financial district. I went with my dad, who had worked on Wall Street his whole career, and it we both learned a huge amount. I highly recommend it!

Jun. 26 2009 02:10 PM
Gene

Wow, Chris, that's amazing. Especially if some of those old (now bodyless, we hope) barrooms and rooming houses still exist.

Jun. 26 2009 01:04 PM
Chris from nyc

Weegee walking tours...
There was a photographer named Weegee (1899-1968) who took many photos in Manhattan.
I drag friends and family on Weegee Walking Tours.
These are significant locations in Weegee's life, like where he lived and I've identified the locations of around 300 photos (I also made a Google map with these - for self-guided tours)...

Jun. 26 2009 12:02 PM
Gene

My fantasy has always been to have a pedway suspended (from??) at the 10th floor, up the Avenues. Some incredible stuff is up there that we never see.

Next best (and real): The High Line, parks done right!

Jun. 26 2009 12:00 PM
Michael from Brooklyn

What about the marble blocks atop the Met?

Jun. 26 2009 11:58 AM
Ruby from Bklyn

The Free Press is great--these walks sound great!

But, hey--there's an M & M store?! That sounds sounds sort of fantastic too! This city can hold low and high brow both!

Jun. 26 2009 11:58 AM
Brian from Manhattan

On Inauguration Day this year I took out-of-towners on the Broadway Challenge. Broadway Bridge to South Ferry. Plenty of places to stop for a drink on the way down.

Jun. 26 2009 11:58 AM
Marielle from park slope

Get to know your foliar neighbors! NYC has more open space than LA, Chicago & Philadelphia combined - the Big Apple is a Green Apple. Even Manhattan features native flora that is hundreds of years old - old growth in the urban jungle.

There are lots of ways to get started. Every May there is NYC Wildflower Week - with free walks lead for 10 days in all 5 boroughs in forests, meadows, wetlands and coastal ecosystems. Check out the resources page for year-round info: http://nycwildflowerweek.org/resources.htm

Also, Torrey Botanical Society offers botanical tours of NYC metro area. JULY 11 - Upcoming free plant walk in Ocean Breeze park, Staten Island, which features a number of rare wildflowers. For details: http://www.torreybotanical.org/fieldtrips.html

Jun. 26 2009 11:56 AM
jeff from ithaca

the broadway walk! from the bridge at the top, to the pier at the bottom. with several stops for beers and food, about 5 hours. doesn't get any better.

Jun. 26 2009 11:55 AM
Jared the Tour Guide Goldstein from Lower East Side

For the cost of two Broadway show tickets an entire group of people can have a private, custom four hour walking tour anywhere in or around NYC! I'm the VP of the Guides Association of New York and you can find and choose from guides based on what you want to experience and what expertise the guides have. Check out http://www.ganyc.org "find a guide." I do tours for locals all the time, and while I never stop learning from them, I always surprise my guests with at least one memorable fact or story.

Jun. 26 2009 11:54 AM
Kurt from work

I would highly recommend the Greenwich Village Literary Pub Crawl...Local actors take you on a walking tour of several Greenwich Village bars that are rich with literary history. Tours start at the White Horse Tavern at 2 pm.
Proceeds benefit the BakerLoo Theater Co.

Jun. 26 2009 11:21 AM