The Supremes Count Down

Monday, June 22, 2009

Emily Bazelon,Senior Editor at Slate and founding editor of Double X the new women's web site from Slate previews the Supreme Court rulings coming down in this final week of the term.

Emily Bazelon

HARRY from NIMBY

That last point was bogus; The mark of a judge is to put aside personal bias and rule on the merits! I think "Progressives" don't like merit.

Jun. 22 2009 10:50 AM
Amy from Manhattan

"The school has a right to *protect* its students"?? The girl who was searched is one of those students--how was this "protecting" her? Maybe it was just a bad word choice, but this statement really took me aback.

Jun. 22 2009 10:44 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

What I don't understand about the 13 year old strip search case is this gender divide. I am not arguing either side of the case, but only the notion that there was something special about the case because it involved a girl instead of a boy.

I presume that the adult(s) who conducted the strip search were females. If so, how would this be different (special from) the same thing happening to a boy, with males conducting a search of him?

Jun. 22 2009 10:43 AM
HARRY from NIMBY

I think having questions about "The Dukes of Hazard", "Andy Griffith Show" and various heavy metal and country music artist should not have been on the test! The test should only contain questions relevant to the position being promoted into. The ethnically biased test should be thrown out. Blacks and Hispanics should not be required to study "white" culture to pass a test!

Jun. 22 2009 10:41 AM
Chris from NYC

In a case like this the parent *absolutely* should have been called in before this invasive (and inappropriate in my opinion) action was taken!!!

Jun. 22 2009 10:40 AM
Peter from Sunset Park

Emily Bazelon has made it clear on her Slate podcast(s) that she is a Democrat, who votes for Democratic candidates, with much disdain for all things Republican. This is of course fine. However, Ms. Bazelon has made it clear that she is a biased “reporter.” I do admire her style on the Slate political podcast to switch positions from time to time when she begins seeing things differently.

Jun. 22 2009 09:27 AM