Open Phones: What Are You Waiting On Line For?

Friday, July 19, 2013

From the line for Cronuts to the line for MoMA's Rain Room, there's a lot of waiting going on this summer. What's the longest you've waited on a line (or in a line), and what's your limit? Call in to 212-433-WNYC, 212-433-9692, and tell us where you draw the line for lines. Art critic and WNYC contributor Deborah Solomon talks about what's worth waiting for in the New York art scene this summer.

Deborah Solomon

Jess from Fort Greene

I waited an hour an get picture taken in the Iron Throne at the Game of Thrones exhibit in midtown this Spring. 60 minutes worth it, but Next day line was 3 hours. That's where I draw the line to pose with any prop...

Jul. 22 2013 03:21 AM

On a whim, my BFF apartment mate and I took the train into NYC and got on line for the last performance of the original cast of A Chorus Line at the Shubert Theater.

My mate's endurance ran out after the matinee ended and we were still eight or nine folks away from the ticket booth but I had faith. At around 7:30 I was third in line with six tickets left in 'will call'...I was going to make it!

With about an half-hour left before show time, the American embassy called and inquired about tickets for the King and Queen of Sweden.

"Yes, we have tickets left."

I might still just have make it in - imagine a schlub Rutgers sophomore sitting in the same row with King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia -- if only their security retinue had not taken ALL OF THE REMAINING tickets.

Ten hours standing on line shot to hell. The Bertone-designed Volvo limo was impressive...

Jul. 19 2013 12:11 PM
Joanne Rocchio from Bedford Hills, New York

The last time I waited in line for a lengthy period of time was in the late 1950's for an Alan Freed -Rock & Roll concert at the Paramount. I had to accompany my younger cousin as it was the only way my aunt would allow her to go. I don't remember how long we stood in line..........but I never again would allow myself to it...no matter what. I have kept that promise.

Jul. 19 2013 12:04 PM
emjayay from Brooklyn

Is wnyc out of worthwhile things to put on the air? Every time I check in this morning there are people talking about pretty much nothing. Waiting in line? Being brave? Please stop wasting airtime on inane conversation. It's as pointless as right wing talk radio or morning TV.

Jul. 19 2013 12:00 PM
Emmanuel from Wantagh NY

I waited for 3 hours on a cold Friday night for a table at the Kykaldes restaurant in Astoria. They let us wait just inside and served everybody glasses of wine. Very quickly everybody became great friends and we joked about the wait and heard wonderful things about the food. The wait was worth: by the time we got to our table, I was feeling very good and the food was fabulous and fresh.

Jul. 19 2013 11:59 AM
Gerald from Stony Point, NY

I waited about 2 hours to get a picture with Penn and Teller after their show at Foxwoods Casino. I thought it was well worth it, even though all I got was a couple of pictures (no real time to interact with Penn and Teller. I hear they wait after all their shows to take pictures with anyone willing to wait.

Jul. 19 2013 11:57 AM
mm

I waited in line for 4 days to get enrolled in my high school. It was an alternative public school with limited space.
The year after me waited 2 weeks, even through a snowstorm.

Jul. 19 2013 11:57 AM
Alan from Manhattan

When an announcement of a piano recital by Vladimir Horowitz would appear in front of Carnegie Hall, a line would form in the early morning hours the night before tickets were going to be available. Mrs. Horowitz would appear in the morning and offer coffee to the enthusiasts.

Jul. 19 2013 11:56 AM
Lisa from East Harlem

Rain Room? Would love to go in, and I'm a member, but I wouldn't wait more than five minutes for it. Restaurants, silly food items: no way, no wait!

Jul. 19 2013 11:55 AM
Emily

The last five lines I've waited in was for the bathroom, I think it was worth it

Jul. 19 2013 11:55 AM
Nat from NYC

Waiting all day on a hot sidewalk to go into the "Rain Room" at MoMA? Strictly for tourists. You'd have to pay this NYer at least several thousand dollars to do a stunt like that.

Jul. 19 2013 11:52 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

I wait in line at the post office or movie theater, but not much else.

There used to be a policy in Georgia that everyone's vehicle registration was due March 31 of each year. Those who hadn't sent in their checks for their tag stickers on time wound up on line at the DMV every March 31. Those who were busy or smart paid people to stand on line for them. One year, I got paid to stand on line for a procrastinator.

I have a policy now at doctors' offices: if they don't see me within 30 minutes of the time I walk in the door (provided I arrive on time for my appointment), I leave. They want patients to give them 24 hours for a cancelation, so I figure my time is as valuable as theirs and I leave if the wait is too long and make an appointment for another time.

Time is money!

Jul. 19 2013 11:51 AM
cervantes

i never understood getting on line for some specialty food item, or for the trendy restaurant. I've not patience for that sort of thing. i'm not necessarily proud of that,it just is.

Jul. 19 2013 11:18 AM
Am from Brooklyn

I waited in line for four long hours to see the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Met in 2011. I recently waited in line for two and a half hours to see the Game of Thrones exhibit in midtown. I was able to see the McQueen but they cut the line off before we got in to see GOT - bummer.

Jul. 19 2013 11:12 AM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

I went to MoMA in the early AM to experience the Rain Room but there was a 7-hour wait to get in (under the oppressive sun)! I opted for the viewing line (you can enter the room but not the rain area), which was worth the 40-minute wait.

Jul. 19 2013 11:04 AM