YUEI :Do-it-yourself Lawn Care

Friday, June 12, 2009

Several people have posted lawn-related stories to the Uncommon Economic Indicators project. Kurt Morrell, the Director of Arboretum, Grounds, and Gardens at the New York Botanical Garden, gives his expert advice for do-it-yourself lawn care for beginners.

Kurt Morrell

irene from Brooklyn

Rob in the Bronx--
thanks for using a push-mower! quieter, *and* gas-mowers are a bigger source of greenhouse gases than cars! so you're lowering noise *and* air pollution. plus it's better exercise.
*thank you!*

Jun. 12 2009 12:00 PM
Betty Diana Arce from Bronx, NY

I just read about a pet-friendly natural weed killer - rock salt mixed with water. Mist the weeds and watch them die.

Jun. 12 2009 11:58 AM
Liran from Queens

I cannot get my lawn to grow. any suggestions on how to start a lawn and what kind of seed is best?

Jun. 12 2009 11:56 AM
andy

please ask if there are any eco-friendly lawn care services for the brooklyn area. been on the hunt for months and cant find any...

Jun. 12 2009 11:55 AM
Rob from The Bronx

I have a somewhat small yard and use a push rotary mower, are there any advantages or disadvantages to this, should I stimulate the economy? read: break down and buy a gas or electric mower. Currently it is usually manageable (about 45 min to 1 hour to mow), but if I let it go for a while without mowing, which happens sometimes, then it becomes unmanageable, goes to seed etc. and I have to borrow the neighbors' mower just to bring it back to a state that I can handle. If I keep the rotary, can you give me advise on how to sharpen the blade? I tried taking it to a local place and they wanted to charge me more than $100 which is close to the price of a new rotary mower. I am keenly aware at times when mowing that I am not getting any younger.

Also I have a question on a shrub. I had three Carol Mackie Daphne (burkwoodii), all planted around my deck with same soil conditions. Two of them on one side which has a fence nearby and therefore receives a little less light have died, the other is thriving. There are astilbe and heuchera nearby are doing well, any advice? Thanks.

Jun. 12 2009 11:13 AM
Robert Sanchez from Mahopac, NY 10541

Kurt,

I planted 13 Firey Red Bushes 2 years ago. Most are doing well but one bush did not grow any (green) leaves this Spring. A couple of the other bushes have small sections that are not growing leaves. The branches themselves are not brittle and do not snap like dead branches might. I've feed the bushes some quality bush food and there is no difference. Are these bushes shot / dead? or might they be in some sort of shock mode (from grass fertilzer, winter effects, soil airation) where they simply can't bloom right now?
Please advise and thank you for your time and input.
Robert