New York Masjid: The Mosques of New York City

Friday, June 12, 2009

Edward Grazda and Jerrilyn Dodds, co-authors of New York Masjid / Mosques Of New York talk about mosques and Muslim culture in New York City.

Slideshow: Mosques in NY

Jerrilyn Dodds and Edward Grazda
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Paul Rama from Baltimore U.S.A

This soo bad news now Muslim want to show which was they done 11 sept was weel. Actually Amrican people need to against this project.

May. 30 2010 06:50 AM
Omar from Queens

Raised as a Muslim, I never heard from anybody that "Jews drink the blood of Muslims" or "Jews eat Muslim babies." Never seen any of the Bengali book stalls selling anti Holocaust books either. The books are mostly about computers, or copies of the Quran. I also call my fellow Muslims and non-Muslims "the N word" but not because I feel oppressed. Anyone that thinks in this day and age that use of "the N word" indicates feelings of oppression is completely out of touch with reality.

Jan. 24 2010 10:58 AM
Musa from Manhattan

I am a convert to Islam from the Orthodox Jewish community and I too am horrified at many of the hateful comments that spew forth from the mouths of "Brothers." I'm 59 years old and proud that Allah has blessed me with his patience and guidance so that I may prosper from the teachings and life order of Islam.

No where in the Koran is it written that bigotry and hate are Muslim ideals. But this is taught and those who turn a blind eye bear the guilt.

More disturbing is how many of my friends now show their colors of vicious anti-semitism. They always add the caveat, "but not you Musa."

I was Moshe now I'm Musa. I was Jewish now I'm Muslim but I'll always be from Jewish heritage. Think before you speak.

Thanks for listening

Sep. 20 2009 02:08 PM
Ahmed from Jersey

Wow, great presentation. Thank you for informing the public about mosques. Really, people, its nothing to be afraid of. We don't plot how to take over the world or discuss the latest holocaust denial book in our mosques! lol. Its really just a center of worship that usually also serves as a community center. As far as whats preached inside, the vast majority of the mosques are mainstream Muslim mosques with a message of devotion, peace and encouragement to do good and forbid evil. Nothing hateful. Go ahead and see for yourself.

Great program here. Educate each other to build bridges.

Jul. 04 2009 12:46 AM
Aisha al-Adawiya from Manhattan

My profound gratitude to Jerrilyn Dodds and Ed Grazda for their far-sightedness in creating a different conversation about Islam and Muslims over a decade ago with the inaugural exhibition of New York Masjid at Store Front for Art and Architecture in Manhattan, and I’m deeply honored to have had the privilege of collaborating with Professor Dodds in this groundbreaking project. I also collaborated on the current Muslim Voices: Arts and Ideas Festival and am truly convinced that we as a nation are on the threshold of a new era and art is the new frontier!

Jun. 18 2009 02:23 PM
isa kocher from istanbul

"Byzantine churches have domes too. So domes are not just an islamic thing."

because muslim architects copied domes from the same architects that orthodox architects did for the same theological reason, namely "UNITY", the unity of the faithful in community, and two, to create that open unrestricted space without pillars cutting up the space. domes necessarily rest on a cruciform [four sided] foundation, squaring the circle. the social and theological message feedback on each other.

western catholic churches are modelled on roman court houses. eastern churches and mediterranean mosques modelled on domed temples, places of worship. masjid means place to pray[bow] from the arabic root "sjd" to pray[bow].

Mosque is the french transliteration of arabic "maSJiD"[in egyptian arabic /mosgid/]

Jun. 12 2009 12:03 PM
Freddy Jenkins

This segment is why I love this show! You wouldn't dare have some Rush Limbaugh or any of his ilk admiring mosques in the US--you probably wouldn't have them admiring synagogues or Buddhist temples or anything that speaks of the varieties of worship in this country--even for all their talk of "values" and "morality."

Jun. 12 2009 11:57 AM
Badria from New Jersey

I grew up in NYC as 1st generation Egyptian and attended two masjids regularly, Masjid Dawood (on State St in Brooklyn Heights) and the Islamic Center of NY (on 72nd St and Riverside drive in Manhattan). I also attended, much later, the Islamic Ctr of NY on 96th St and 3rd Ave (which is affiliated with the one on 72nd st). Although all the masjids had a feeling of home, and gave me and my family and sense of belonging (especially in the 60's & 70's, when our population was not as large as today), Masjid Dawood (so named after the founder, Shk Dawood Faisel) is the oldest masjid in this country, founded sometime in the 40's, and is where my parents met. My mother also reverted to Islam there (she is of Jamaican desent, my father is Egyptian). It is our haven. I think your guests were spot on in their description of how Muslims view Masjids. Thank you for having them, and thanks to your guest for their project and book (I intend to get a copy of it).

Jun. 12 2009 11:53 AM
kamal from Bronx

I agree with #3 - these mosques are nice, but I'm more interested in what's taught inisde than on how they look outside

Jun. 12 2009 11:51 AM
Marius from Astoria

As a former student of Ms. Dodds at City College (who enlightened me to the many roles a mosque plays for the muslim community), and a long-time New York resident, I am amazed at the thriving momentum of the Muslim community in my neighborhood, Astoria, where a former pool hall has been converted into a mosque on Steinway Street a few years ago, as well as several others that have been transformed into 'store-front' mosques, here in Astoria. These, along with the numerous community services they offer for their practioners, make them welcome neighbors. By the way, the 'american mosque' on 96th Street and 3rd avenue is designed by SOM...

Jun. 12 2009 11:48 AM
isa kocher from istanbul

very AMERICAN mosque near Canal in Tribeca

masjid al farah

the imam/hoja was imam IHSAN from beykoz in turkey

i have been ex-pat since 1986, but attended friday prayer there. used to be in the old firehouse in SOHO. moved to tribeca

Jun. 12 2009 11:48 AM
Sath from NYC

Byzantine churches have domes too. So domes are not just an islamic thing.

Jun. 12 2009 11:45 AM
Peter from Sunset Park

I know that mosque in Sunset Park. It is beautiful. The men have a grand, beautiful entrance and the women get to enter from around the corner. Interesting that the dean from Sarah Lawrence doesn’t mention this. I wonder what her Sarah Lawrence students would say.

Jun. 12 2009 11:44 AM
Peter from Sunset Park

Andrew,

Good point. When I worked in Brooklyn in 2000 and 2001 where Atlantic Ave and Flatbush met there were several mosques (or what looked to be mosques) that would sell books that denied the holocaust. There wasn’t just one or two books, but tables of books telling lies about Jews. I remember seeing fliers as well that would place swastikas on the faces of Israeli leaders.

Jun. 12 2009 11:39 AM
Glenn from Queens

Having immigrants build places of worship is not a new phenomenon... the Irish, Poles, Italians did the exact same thing with their churches (as did the Jews, Hindus and Buddhists with their respective religions) and now Muslims are doing what is a NATURAL EXTENSION of being human!

Jun. 12 2009 11:36 AM
Andrew B. from New York City

I watched the local news the day the plotters in the Bronx synagogue bombing were arrested.

They brought a hidden camera into the mosque they attended, and on the wall was an anti-Semitic poster.

What's on the inside of most places is often more interesting than the outside.

Jun. 12 2009 11:32 AM
Peter from Sunset Park

I have worked in Bay Ridge for about ten years and am really impressed with how my Muslim students treat their siblings. The older students take care of the younger ones and they are not ashamed of holding their hands and hugging their siblings. This is very different from my childhood in which older siblings in my community did not think it was cool to spend time with younger siblings. However, I have also seen some very negative aspects of New York Muslim culture. Most disturbingly, I have had numerous Arab and Muslim students tell me that “Jews drink the blood of Arab children” and “Jews Eat Muslim babies.” It really concerns me that many American born Arab and Muslim children are being raised this way.

When I was taking the subway to work, I was really horrified to hear groups of Arab and Muslim boys and girls, day after day, calling each other the “n” word. I see many prosperous Arab businesses in Brooklyn and am not sure where these feelings of oppression are coming from. Park Slope, Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, are filled with Arab businesses. Several of my doctors are Arab American and their practices seem to be thriving. So why the discontent?

Thanks for listening sweeties.

Jun. 12 2009 10:29 AM
Priya from Brooklyn

My early childhood was spent in North Africa, and one of my earliest memories have to do with the call to Prayer. To this day when I hear it (and I live close to the Atlantic Avenue Mosque) it takes me back to that time.

Jun. 12 2009 10:05 AM