What the McWrap Says About America

Friday, July 12, 2013

mcdonalds arches (John Harvey/flickr)

Susan Berfield, reporter for Bloomberg Businessweek, talks about the birth of the McWrap and what it says about Americans' changing tastes.

Susan Berfield

Ken from Soho

I like the name McWrap, as it identifies all McDonald "food" as McCrap.

Jul. 12 2013 11:48 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

Caller from Plant City (and Robert from NYC): bingo!
Spitzer knows where all the Wall Street bodies are hidden. Go Eliot!

Jul. 12 2013 11:45 AM
ericf

Salad, convenent location, being open when others are closed, and free Wifi can be an irresistible combination at times.

Jul. 12 2013 11:43 AM
Robert from NYC

You damn well that somebody outed Spitzer's private pleasures. And I would bet it was Wall St folk if not Joe Bruno!! I hope Spitzer gets the job and kicks the crap out of Jamie Dimon that offensive slimebag.

Jul. 12 2013 11:42 AM

What is up with the mom who finds McDonalds so gross but feeds that trash to her kids?
Just for a toy? Grow up!
By the way the salads are bland so is all the fake chicken.

Jul. 12 2013 11:41 AM
Amy from Manhattan

On the last part of my on-air comment, I was given the info about the Irish definition of starving to death on the other person's property as "murder" when the N.Y. Times was calling the prisoners' deaths "suicide" & the prisoners' supporters were calling it "murder." I thought the Times should have taken the objective path & said they died while on hunger strike.

Jul. 12 2013 11:41 AM
Tony from Canarsie

From a March 2013 Think Progress piece on the McWrap:

On Monday, a leaked internal memo showed that McDonald’s believes it would lose 22 percent of its 18-34 year old customers to what’s perceived as the healthier option, sandwich chain Subway, without adding the wrap onto its menu. McDonald’s is also looking to alter its unhealthy image with its green label. Just last week, researchers at Cornell University released a study showing that consumers view green labeling as a shorthand for healthier food:

People tend to think a candy bar with a green calorie label is healthier than ones with red or white labels, even when the number of calories is the same, a Cornell University researcher found.[...]

“Our research suggests that the color of calorie labels may have an effect on whether people perceive the food as healthy, over and above the actual nutritional information conveyed by the label, such as calorie content,” [a Cornell news release] said. [...]

The McWrap pictured above is 590 calories and contains 44 percent (PDF) of a person’s daily fat intake.

Jul. 12 2013 11:40 AM
Robert from NYC

Exactly right, nothing wrong with eating at McDonald's just not everyday, twice a day! Treat yourself once in a while to a tasty McDonald's burger with fries. And I don't think children don't understand if you teach them why to eat healthy most of the time and once in a while enjoying a tasty, not so healthy meal! Enjoy!

Jul. 12 2013 11:39 AM
Tiffany from nyc

I'm a vegetarian and I've ordered salads from McD's. This mainly happens on road trips with my meat-eating friends. It's not ideal and I wouldn't choose to go there on my own, but if salads weren't offered, I'd push my friends to go somewhere else.

Jul. 12 2013 11:38 AM
Fishmael from NYC

This juxtaposition of McDonalds and Guantanamo force-feeding is just too surreal... oh, America.

Jul. 12 2013 11:38 AM
Mary from Weehawken, NJ

I was forced to eat at McDonalds last week because it was the closest place to eat after 4 hours visiting at a hospital. I have not been in one since my children were young, maybe 15 years ago. I happend to select the chicken wrap (420 cal) and I must say it was not bad!!! Being very hungry probably helped and it was quick.

Jul. 12 2013 11:37 AM
Jason from Boulder, CO

I'm a GenXer not a millennial but anyone who's been to both Chipotle and McDonalds would know that Chipotle's food is FAR superior to McDonalds. Humanely raised, antibiotic free meats, significant commitment to integrating organic foods and most importantly, delicious! You can taste the difference! It's not about wraps or not wraps, it's about quality!

Jul. 12 2013 11:32 AM
Ricky

Many years ago I had a salad dish at a fast food place and became ill.
Corporate food can not do all things well and safe.

Jul. 12 2013 11:29 AM

I'm a filmmaker who is on the road with the crew often. We often find ourselves at places like McDonald's while driving around America and as a 26 year vegetarian who eats healthy, I often go hungry or at best have a very limited option. I don't "go" to McDonald's ever by choice, but find myself there. I welcome the McWrap (I'm GenX).

Jul. 12 2013 11:28 AM
Matthew

So, it seems I'm the ONLY person that gets salads at mcdonalds! Sometimes when I'm in a rush it's a quick and relatively healthy option. I also used to buy these fruit walnut and yogurt salad things they had...until it was discontinued. The worker told me nobody wants that kind of stuff! lame.

Jul. 12 2013 11:28 AM

Is there no end to McDonald's crusade on poisoning the world with their garbage??
If it's illegal to sell foi gras why is it legal to keep McDonald's in business?

Jul. 12 2013 11:28 AM
Cristina

I have worked in some food wastelands in this city where McDonald's is one of the few places you CAN get a salad. Thank God for the Southwest Chicken Salad or some weeks I might never have seen lettuce! It's not the healthiest, but it's better than nothing. We're talking about young people driving the market... why aren't we talking about trying to make people in food wasteland communities buy more salads?

Jul. 12 2013 11:28 AM
Peg

Who would WANT a salad from McD's? They drench the lettuce in chlorine rinse - to kill microorganisms and keep it "fresh." Shreaded green stuff that tastes like pool water - YUCCHHH!!!!

Jul. 12 2013 11:23 AM
S.B. from NY

The first couple of times Brian mentioned this segment, I thought he said "McDonald's is serving rats." I'm relieved to know that McD's hasn't introduced that distinctive NYC item to its menu... yet.

Jul. 12 2013 11:19 AM
John A

McDonalds tended to have a direction it lead you, not entirely a good one. For a long while I would always buy one salad, no drink, pay the same price, about $5.30. Then one day I bought 1 McChicken, 2 of Carolita's snackwraps and a hamburger, 4 things, it was exactly the same price! Having to buy only on a price basis does cost you on health.

Jul. 12 2013 09:44 AM
carolita from nyc

I remember that years ago they introduced a sort of mini-wrap. It was actually relatively healthy at the time. It was just grilled chicken with some salad, and it was small. There were two sauces, one that was less gross than the other, and I always opted for the healthier one. It made a great snack, and they were cheap, and I'd often buy two if I needed to make a meal of them. I hadn't been into a McDonalds unelss it were for an emergency coffee or the occasional ice cream sundae of a summer for years. People loved them. I remember people talking about them, about how addictive they were.
Then they introduced a sort of chicken mcnugget style wrap, the "crispy" chicken one, where the chicken was breaded and fried. That was significantly less healthy. Then, they got bigger and turned into these McWraps, and the little ones disappeared. And all I could think was, what is this? Some kind of conspiracy to make people eat more, or what?
This new McWrap, which is 10 inches long and has that awful processed cheese in it, and is served with ranch dressing, and probably mostly sold as "crispy," is so not healthy. It's fake healthy food.

Jul. 12 2013 07:40 AM