Fun On Foot

Monday, June 01, 2009

Warwick Ford outdoor runner and author of Fun on Foot in New York dishes on the best running routes in the City.

Warwick Ford

Jackie from formerly of Washington Heights

Zak, there's an entrance at 181 St and 165 St. I always took the 1 to 72 St and entered at Riverside Park and run downtown from there. By 72 St, the entrances are more frequent than every 30 blocks so whenever you're tired, you can take the A back to Washington Heights or, if you make it all the way to Battery Park, you can take the 1 from South Ferry back to 168 St.

Jun. 01 2009 11:52 AM
DB from Hoboken, NJ

The nonprofit group Shorewalkers (www.shorewalkers.org) has walks throughout the NYC area every weekend. The walks range from explorations of Central Park to crossing as many Manhattan bridges as possible in one afternoon to walks along Queens and Long Island beaches and the Old Croton Aqueduct in Westchester.

Their Web site has a schedule of events, and for most events they list the number of miles the walk covers and about how long it will take to complete it.

The Shorewalkers' big event is their version of the marathon, a 32-mile walk all around the rim of Manhattan, staying as close to the shoreline as possible.

Jun. 01 2009 11:48 AM
clem from hastrings on hudson

Great show as always!

The Old Croton Aqueduct -- 25 miles from the Bronx to Croton. Spectacular.

And no you can't walk/run across the Tappan Zee. I tried once and the State Police assumed I was a jumper (which I wasn't)

Jun. 01 2009 11:46 AM
Zak from Washington Heights

New to Wash Hts...how do I get ON to the foot path at the GW? Anyone know where the entrance is?

Jun. 01 2009 11:44 AM
Nathan Reiss from Highland Park, NJ

One bridge often ignored is the Bayonne Bridge, which connects Bayonne, NJ with Staten Island. The bridge is quite tall and on a clear day it provides a dazzling view of much of the New York metropolitan area. This bridge also offers the most convenient way of walking into downtown New York from New Jersey -- Walk over the Bayonne Bridge, walk across the northern part of Staten Island, and then take a free ferry ride to lower Manhattan!

Jun. 01 2009 11:44 AM
Cassandra from Brooklyn

What's with all these anti-biking comments on the air? Why should New York cyclists have fewer rights on their own bridges versus pedestrian tourists that don't know the rules of the road? Yes, cyclists should watch their speed when biking around pedestrians, but tourists need to do their part and watch where they're going, especially in places like the Brooklyn Bridge. I think that cyclists that need to take that bridge to get to work or school every day take precedence over tourists that are just trying to snap a picture.

Jun. 01 2009 11:44 AM
Nicholas Wallin from greenpoint, brooklyn

If you are up for a longer, somewhat romantic, run at dusk, my wife and I have run across the Williamsburg Bridge into Manhattan, south along the East River under the FDR, with views of the Manhattan Bridge and run across the Brooklyn Bridge. But take the subway back to Greenpoint. Exhilarating views of Manhattan and the bridges lit up at night.

Jun. 01 2009 11:44 AM
jen from Cobble Hill

I can't think of the bridges without thinking of the New York catastrophies - 9/11, the blackout, the subway strike - but each time, walking over the bridge was when I felt most united with my other New Yorkers. Walking en mass over the 59th street bridge or the BRooklyn bridge was unforgetable.

Jun. 01 2009 11:44 AM
Matt from Milwaukee

I used to avoid midtown foot traffic by taking the midtown tunnel access streets between 42nd and 36th streets. When the blackout hit and everyone poured into the streets, I was out of there in no time and walked alone while everyone else swam in a sea of people. My typical walk to work route would be over the WillyB bridge, up to 45th and 3rd. Then walking home, I'd take the Queensboro to LIC, to McGuinness over the Koscziucko (totally spelled wrong) and back. It was great and I was 25lbs lighter than Milwaukee-me.

Jun. 01 2009 11:43 AM
JohnG from Manhattan

Back in the 80's I worked at the Federal Courthouse on Tillary St in Brooklyn, and my wife (then girlfriend) lived in Newark. When I stayed with her, I rode the PATH to WTC, and walked over the Brooklyn Bridge to work both ways. I did this Winter, Spring Summer and Fall. It was great. Not only did I save 2 tokens, but I had the best view in the city!

Jun. 01 2009 11:43 AM
Janet from East Village • Manahttan

From Astor Place down Lafayette Street in Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge on through the Promenade and onward to Grand Army Plaza is a favorite especially in winter.

Inwood Hill Park has wonderful trails, quiet. It feels as though you've left the city.

West side walkway from the Battery to Columbus Circle, after Memorial Day in the morning.

Jun. 01 2009 11:40 AM
Roger Weir from NYC

Not sure if this is the case for marathons, but during bike rides, the best bridge tip I've ever received is to NEVER ride on the lower deck - people stop on the bridge to pee off the side...

Jun. 01 2009 11:39 AM
Seth from Croton on Hudson, NY

The Croton Dam and reservoir trail- it lies in the northern suburbs- but it's city property. There are loops of varying distances, but the dam is the best part. Especially the spray of water from the roaring spillway.

Jun. 01 2009 11:38 AM
Mr. Boogs

Roosevelt island is the BEST place in NYC to run. Its a 3.5 mile loop with beautiful views of Manhattan on one side and Queens on the other, but don't tell anybody—its already becoming overcrowded!!

Jun. 01 2009 11:38 AM
Caitlin from Jersey City

Liberty State Park! I bike around there a lot since I moved to JC.

Jun. 01 2009 11:37 AM
Ivey from Brooklyn

The river parks are beautiful!

I ride to the upper east side from brooklyn most days, over the manhattan bridge, which is the least crowded of the brooklyn to manhattan bridges although I think Williamsburg is my favorite. I love the smell of the east river in the morning.

And I am planning a 26 mile walk a few weeks from now, want to get out of the city any recommendations?

Jun. 01 2009 11:36 AM
Catherine from Massapequa

Pleases consider making next edition
...: walkers, runners and PEDDLERS.

Jun. 01 2009 11:36 AM
Cassandra Pappas from Hoboken, NJ

The Hoboken waterfront walk way, about a mile long, is a truly beautiful stretch to walk or run. The view of Manhattan is breathtaking.

Jun. 01 2009 11:34 AM
Jeff Putterman from Queens

Obviously the most exciting place for running, if you are an african american cop in plain clothes, is Harlem when the caucasian cops are taking target practice.

Jun. 01 2009 11:34 AM
Steven Robinson from Inwood , Manhattan NYC 25+ years

Inwood Hill Park,
Simply amazing,
Views, Quiet, Nature, a Birder's place ( hawks, and in the past eagles..),
I have run in the park for the past 25 years, and I can't imagine any place nicer.
It is the last remaining forest in Manhattan ( it is "un planned" )

Jun. 01 2009 10:34 AM