Of Her Times

Monday, June 01, 2009

New York Times columnist Gail Collins talks about student loans, Sonia Sotomayor, and other news.

Gail Collins

hjs from 11211

phil
give me a break. BHO was elected FAIRLY by americans. go lick ur wounds and rebuild ur party maybe u can play with the big boys again in 2016.

Jun. 01 2009 11:13 AM
Phil from Queens

AS TO STUDENT LOANS: this is the next financial crash. People can't pay them back and are defaulting in droves. The interest rate then goes to 25% Whole generations of people will not be able to buy new cars or homes, because they are snowed under by debt. They must then rely on the “State” for help, like the millions of un- and under-employed.

AS TO CULTURE WARS: how can you expect them to go away when you have a President who is destroying American culture and capitalism in 100 plus days? More specifically Obama is responsible for legislation in Illinois that allows babies born alive after failed abortions, to be left in the OR to die. Obama and many Democrats are against any Born-Alive Infants Protection Act (BAIPA). And so it goes. Still, violence against Doctors is not the answer even if 50,000,000 or more violent abortions have been performed since Roe v. Wade.

PS - FYI - Norma Leah McCorvey, the "Jane Roe" plaintiff of the famous Roe v. Wade U.S. Supreme Court case that legalized abortion in 1973, has been baptized as a Christian and announced her opposition to abortion (in 1995), except in cases of fetal deformity or to save a mother's life.

Jun. 01 2009 11:02 AM
Amy from Manhattan

The caller whose daughter got only high-interest loan offers for schools in NY but a much better arrangement in WI makes me wonder if school loan abuses show regional patterns. Maybe Ms. Collins could look into this aspect.

Jun. 01 2009 10:52 AM
h from brooklyn

will my student loan rates ever go down (from my fixed rate borrowed 2006-2008)

Jun. 01 2009 10:51 AM
Roberta from NYC

What about graduates who are paying off loans at high interest rates? Is there a program to transfer the balances to a lower rate? Thanks!!

Jun. 01 2009 10:46 AM
Darren from Brooklyn

Two questions:

What is your take on consolidating private loans in this climate?

What do you think of debt strikes for student loan bailouts?

Jun. 01 2009 10:45 AM
viktoria from NYC

I'm a college student, and I want to know why student loan officers have more access to students than most teachers do. They are all over: in the cafeteria, in the halls, on the grounds. Does Ms. Collins think Congress will ever really address this?

Jun. 01 2009 10:43 AM
gal

I think the problem with talking about Student Loans with students is that no one understands what the numbers mean. I couldn't wrap my head around the 80K number....and I still can't even though I'm paying it back every month. Also, students talk about loans as if it's a given, everyone is saddled with debt, so it's just how things go. And the kids who's parents pay for college are now getting the upper hand.

Jun. 01 2009 10:42 AM
Hugh from Brookyn

Surely Dr. Tiller's killer is a terrorist. Why is this person not being called such?

Jun. 01 2009 10:41 AM
hjs from 11211

why is judge sotomayor being called an activist judge if all she did was say the city of new haven's elected officials can make law

Jun. 01 2009 10:35 AM
Nicole C. from gowanus

Why is it that the banks are borrowing money from the Federal Gov't for less than one percent and as a graduate student about to start a public health degree, I can't get a useful loan at less than 6.8%? Isn't investing in the education of the American workforce as important as ensuring the stability of the American financial system? Apparently not...

Jun. 01 2009 10:03 AM