Check-In: Bradley Manning Trial and Guantanamo Hunger Strike

Thursday, July 11, 2013

US Army Private First Class Bradley Manning (L), surrounded by US military, arrives at a US military Magistrate Court facility during an Article 32 hearing at Fort Meade, Maryland on December 19, 2011 (JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images/Getty)

We're watching two stories related to national security and counter-terrorism efforts. Arun Rath, reporter for "Frontline" and PRI's "The World" discusses the trail of Wikileaks leaker Bradley Manning, and the ongoing hunger strike (and force-feeding of prisoners) at Guantanamo.

Arun Rath
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Ben from Westchester - see Ninbus from Manh re: consented NG feeding & realize that Gitmo prisoners are NOT consenting to NG feeding. That is where the "force-feeding comes in.

Also, NG tubes are not "foolproof" or "safe" - due to an ER mishap years ago, I have a perforated trachea thanks to new residents who drove the tube into my left lung instead of the stomach. X-rays & scans show some food debris in the lung due to the hole in my throat.

Jul. 11 2013 01:58 PM
Ben from Westchester

I'm a little bit confused here.

The "force feeding" of prisoners via NG tube is referred to as "torture." And we have seen Mos Def grunt and reflex on YouTube as he is restrained and the NG tube is placed. And then the Brian Lehrer show tells us that a physicians group has called this "torture."

So if I have had a family member in the hospital, and his physicians placed an NG tube for feeding, and my family member reflexed there as well and had to be restrained -- then are those doctors to be indicted and imprisoned for torturing my family member?

Or can I at least get my co-pays back? (The above is an absolutely true story. NG tubes for feeding are not uncommon and they are wildly uncomfortable.)

This show really seemed to reek of politicization and grandstanding.

Jul. 11 2013 01:48 PM
blacksocialist from BKbaby

Bernie - what's so funny knuckledragger? and please, educate me, as to my errors.... now go back to your cave.

Jul. 11 2013 11:45 AM
bernie from bklyn

from blacksocialistfromBK-
"Lehrer is such not a smart man. nor it seems is arun." haha!! you're the perfect person to be judging intelligence. your grammar is so perfect, are you an english professor?

Jul. 11 2013 11:37 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

Our government should NOT be torturing prisoners in any way, shape or form. We are trying to influence other countries in the world, but will never be able to make any positive impact if we engage in precisely the types of activities which we condemn in other countries.

Force-feeding is disgusting. If anyone administering such a barbaric tactic were to have it done to him/her, I can see that some objections might be lodged.

Any of the prisoners who on the hunger strike who are NOT guilty of any offense against this or any other country should be released. Any of them who are on the hunger strike who have yet to be tried should be tried. Period.

Force-feeding should be STOPPED.

Jul. 11 2013 11:26 AM
blacksocialist from BKbaby

Lehrer is such not a smart man. nor it seems is arun. one doesn't need to be a medical "expert" to acknowledge what is being done in cuba is illegal, and the pathetic man in the oval office should be made to address his lies.

Jul. 11 2013 11:26 AM
Jro from Upstate NY

There is another choice...LET THEM GO. People who have been cleared of all charges of terrorist activity being held with no end in sight, clearly this is the real abuse of human rights.

Jul. 11 2013 11:26 AM
Tony from Canarsie

To follow up on something one of your caller's said, is it a fact that the US doesn't have diplomatic relations with Yemen?

Jul. 11 2013 11:24 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Well said Nimbus. It is shameful for any country - "civilized" or not, to detain anyone without charge (while having the means to do so) - for years!!!

Now they are forcing feeding them? Damn Shame.

Jul. 11 2013 11:23 AM
PJ from NJ

On the Guardian website there is a video of Mos Def depicting the force feeding that the prisoners are subjected to. It's horrifying. That a country should carry out such barbaric exercise is a disgrace. If dogs were tortured in this country to that extent there would be outrage. I'm truly saddened, this freedom, democracy, values, morality narrative that this country espouses is lost on me. Particularly because I'm from a country where that would NEVER happen, I venture to guess most other countries except ones with despotic leadership.

Jul. 11 2013 11:11 AM
h l

Why isn't Obama listening to the people to stop the force feeding? i don't get it.

Jul. 11 2013 11:07 AM
Ninbus from Manhattan

As someone who has experienced a feeding tube on multiple occasions (in the hospital), I can tell you first-hand that the experience is horrific. The process of inserting the tube into the nose and then down to the stomach is painful and frightening - and I had it done by compassionate medical personnel.

The idea that the Obama Administration is 'respecting' Ramadan by not force-feeding prisoners until after sundown is Kafka-esque and despicable.

This practice is immoral and should be abolished. But I won't be holding my breath.

Jul. 11 2013 10:16 AM