Tweet If You Use Twitter

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Farhad Manjoo, Slate's technology columnist and the author of True Enough: Learning To Live in a Post-Fact Society talks about what Twitter means and how different groups use it. What's your take on Twitter? How do you use it? Comment below!

Farhad Manjoo

Liz from NJ

I live on Twitter. It's just a part of my life. I don't even use a telephone any more. Everyone I associate with Tweets. I get jobs through Twitter. I set up meetings through Twitter. I hear about events through Twitter. I find out about news, politics & entertainment through Twitter.

What most people who hate Twitter don't understand is that 1) it's an ongoing conversation with people, not a diary of insignificant events in your life and 2) probably 1/3 of messages I get are links to blogs/websites which provide more information. It's like having a stream of post-it notes flowing by and you pluck out ones that interest you and follow where the directions/comments each contains.

People propose on Twitter. They tell you that they just lost their job. Or that their wife just had a baby. It's like an old-fashioned party line where the world can listen in.

Jul. 13 2009 04:47 PM
Rodrigo from Manhattan

I use it to keep track of inspirational moments or thoughts. I'm able to reconnect to these wonderful experiences through viewing my own page and perhaps it can enlighten others. sharing is caring :-)

May. 28 2009 11:44 AM
Merrill from New York, NY

Would you have your guest comment on great business applications of Twitter

May. 28 2009 11:43 AM
downtown from downtown

Why isn't NotifyNYC, the new emergency notification system in place in NYC, on Twitter?

May. 28 2009 11:43 AM
Kelly from NYC

I mostly use it to get new and solid information on my interests and to promote my blog.(which has really helped)

It is pretty funny to read some of the celeb twitters. My love for Donnie Walhberg and Soiel Moone Frye from my childhood has died since following them on twitter. They sound so....stupid.

May. 28 2009 11:42 AM
downtown from downtown

Twitter is over capacity.
Too many tweets! Please wait a moment and try again.
--------

I use Twitter as a news reader, not as a social tool.

May. 28 2009 11:41 AM
Amy from Manhattan

It would be more of a marker than a risk factor for ADHD.

May. 28 2009 11:41 AM
Mike from Brooklyn

Similar to the taco truck, New York's Wafel & Dinges Truck releases its location by tweet every morning. They also include a special password you can use to get free toppings! check out @waffletruck.

May. 28 2009 11:40 AM
Mike from Brooklyn

As a sports fan twitter is an easy way to follow a team's cadre of beat writers. Saves time; you don't have to read sports articles in four different papers.

May. 28 2009 11:37 AM
mc from Brooklyn

I tried the Brian Lehrer Twitter stream. I just ended up back on this comment page (??)

May. 28 2009 11:34 AM
JP from The Garden State

I’m waiting for the Twitter suppository so that way I wont run into a lamppost on the street while trying to walk and Twitter at the same time…. So what’s next, direct connect right to your cranium via a USB connection? Maybe Twitter should come with a heads up display to avoid creating the stupid oblivious pedestrian factor created by cell phones, ipods, etc, etc…. Or maybe it only lets you read and text only when your standing still. I guess one good thing could come about if we all Twittered, no more loud annoying people on cell phones in public places….

May. 28 2009 11:27 AM
darrylayo from Greenpoint, Brooklyn

I agree that Twitter helps us verbose and long-winded writers cut to the chase. The beauty in Twitter is its simplicity. It can (and is) used in many different ways.

Just in my list of friends, it's used to:

1. post links to blogs, website updates and other items of a person's business. Using Twitter is a great way to direct traffic online, especially since anybody who's subscribed to your Twitter is at least an interested party on some level.

2. post links to news items, entertainment pieces and other fun time-wasters.

3. ask questions of the fans to in turn better serve their interests.

4. write short "microblogs." The "just writing" aspect of Twitter gets lost in the shuffle of "what is Twitter for" and "how to monetize Twitter" fluff. This should have been number 1, actually; it's just a writing platform.

5. shoot quick messages to specific persons.

6. write about what one had for lunch.

7. I've got one guy I'm following who's writing a series of...miniature novels. @itsjohncampbell

8. write jokes that you just have to get out of your system.

9. post links to friends.

10. rant. it's always good to be able to rant on the internet.

@darrylayo

May. 28 2009 11:02 AM
William from Manhattan

Twitter reduces "personal spam" - mass emails to friends & colleagues. Tweets are useful for news that isn't quite bloggable but of more than personal interest. They are also good for drawing attention to longer pieces. And the compression imposed by 140 characters is good practice for any writer.

May. 28 2009 10:31 AM
mc from Brooklyn

It's a good exercise for people like me who tend to be long winded. Pick one message, distill it to its essence and post it.

May. 28 2009 10:20 AM
fancy-socks from Manhattan

I like twitter if there is a breaking news story somewhere. Like the ice storm in the midwest. Then you can search it and see all the latest!

May. 28 2009 10:18 AM
Gabrielle from brooklyn

too frenetic for me... if anything causes ADD, i think this would be it. i signed up a few months ago and have used it about 3 times... definitely prefer facebook...

May. 28 2009 07:04 AM