Open Phones: Did You Sign the Spitzer Petition?

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Reporters swarm former Governor Eilot Spitzer as he tries to collect petition signatures for his late entry into the city comptroller race. (WNYC/Brigid Bergin)

Eliot Spitzer gave himself only a few days to get 3,750 people to sign the petition to get him on the ballot in the New York City Comptroller race. Were you approached by a Spitzer supporter and asked to sign the petition? Did you do it? Call us up and tell us about your interaction and how you made your decision about whether to sign. 212-433-9692

IngStew from CT

I do believe in second chances. Can someone please let me know how can I sign the petition for Eliot Spitzer. Thanks

Jul. 10 2013 09:10 PM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

LOL, stupid lefty comments from stupid lefties.

Jul. 10 2013 05:34 PM
BillyCook from Queens

How may I help. If anyone is tired of Wall Street setting up their own laws for their own profit, he/she better hopes Eliot Spitzer is elected. All the other candidates are just properties of Wall Street.

Jul. 10 2013 12:38 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

There's a petition-signing event at Sprig tonight, Wednesday, 6-8p.m. Sign, sip, enjoy! http://www.sprigny.com/

Jul. 10 2013 11:41 AM
samantha from NYC

I was in union sq yesterday and was approached to sign. I had two opposing thoughts. NO, although it would be the first time I've ever refused, because in a democracy anyone should be able to run for office, but this is not a democracy. Only the top top 1% can finance his/her own campaign.

Or YES, and make a mistake on my address so when checked, the signature will not be counted and therefore lower the 3700+ signatures needed. Oops, but I know I will be redeemed for my mistake.

Jul. 10 2013 11:33 AM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

Jgarbuz, I am honestly ripping you off, says the Wall Street Banker, and Merry Christmas to you. LOL.

Jul. 10 2013 11:32 AM
Restore Sanity

@ jgarbuz: you obviously never worked on Wall Street!

Jul. 10 2013 11:29 AM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

jgarbuz, you'd rather have politicians and other establishment figures corrupt. Wall Street crooks, crony capitalist gangster and more. You are getting what you wished for. LOL.

Jul. 10 2013 11:28 AM
Laura

No way! He won my vote one time, but completely lost my support and trust.

Jul. 10 2013 11:28 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

People in Wall Street are far more honest than the politicians. They are on Wall Street to MAKE MONEY. They are not there on false premises. Politicians claim they are there to "protect the people." That is total lying in most cases. Politicians tell idiots that they can have a house for no money down, no job, no visible income, and force banks to lend these people money to acquire a house they can never pay for. When the inevitable Piper comes, who gets blamed? The BANKS. Wall Street. But Banks and Wall Street would never lend poor people money if they were not forced to do so by these politicians who need poor people's VOTES. The Banks and Wall STreet were HONEST. The politicians are the ones who lie!

Jul. 10 2013 11:24 AM
joan from Brooklyn

No one has yet asked me to sign but I will if asked. If I thought Spitzer would do anything to alleviate conditions for those of us barely hanging on in this city I would vote for him in a heartbeat. Not interested in anything else. Only the rich can afford scruples and they, more than lesser beings, rarely apply them.

Jul. 10 2013 11:24 AM
Mary from NYC

He one of the few progressives with brains AND balls to go after Wall St.

Jul. 10 2013 11:23 AM

I'm not supporting any man ashamed of his sex life.
just another poor little rich boy.

Jul. 10 2013 11:23 AM
Ryan from Chelsea, New York, NY

I know you're on the phones but I have to ask: these callers keep mentioning that men have the petitions. Any females asking people to sign?

Jul. 10 2013 11:22 AM
Mike Krafinski from Queens

I'm a registered Democrat, where can I sign! Why can't I sign on line? Spitzer's proven he's a smart and dedicated public servant. I don't put politicians on a pedestal, I judge them by their record and qualifications.

Jul. 10 2013 11:20 AM
Mary from NYC

He likes hookers, who cares? What politician doesn't? To think every politician is a saint is obsurd. He was brought out and down by Wall St. players who didn't like his politics. Some of his proposed policies of which were designed to curtail activities on Wall St. that greatly contributed to the 2008 bubble collapse.

Jul. 10 2013 11:20 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Cheaters will vote for other cheaters. Why not? Most people will do what's in their own interest, and then justify it when they get their hand caught in the cookie jar. Crocodile tears. Pleading for "understanding." Begging for forgiveness. Anything so that can have another chance to cheat.

Jul. 10 2013 11:19 AM
NYC Voter from Harlem

Oh, and by the way, although I didn't expect to vote for Spitzer (if he gets on the ballot) when he first announced, it was the frenzied reaction of Wall Street AGAINST him (see yesterday's NY Times article) that make me think, yeah, if they're so afraid of him, he'll get my vote!

Jul. 10 2013 11:17 AM

@jgarbuz - Interesting application of "false in one, false in all"...How about people who lie on their tax returns? Can they be trusted in public office?

Jul. 10 2013 11:17 AM
Kate from NYC

I passed a signature collector (she was wearing a large "Spitzer" blue sticker on her shoulder) yesterday at the subway entrance at Lexington and 59th Street. She was just standing there and not approaching people. Maybe she was still new but she wasn't being very proactive.

Nor was anyone stopping to sign her clipboard. Including me.

Jul. 10 2013 11:16 AM
Natasha from Bklyn Hts

I was approached in front of the Barclays Center yesterday afternoon by a young woman gathering 5,000 signatures for (I believe) Kristen Davis, the Madam of the Spitzer scandal, who is running for comptroller only to bring (negative) attention to Spitzer. I laughed and signed.

This morning, again in front of the Barclays, there was a young man gathering signatures for Spitzer himself. I passed.

Jul. 10 2013 11:15 AM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

Thanks Brian, your friend would rather have a corrupt politician in office then a guy who has had a private sex life. Good, that’s what she and the public gets.

Jul. 10 2013 11:14 AM
JMD from Westchester

Supporters should stand in front of strip clubs.

Jul. 10 2013 11:13 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

People who cheat on their spouse will cheat anyone else. Why not? Again, marriage is absurd in this day and age, and people like SPitzer, and Wiener and all the other cheaters only prove the irrelevancy of marriage. If you going to break that "vow," there is no point in anyone expecting you to keep any other promise.

Jul. 10 2013 11:12 AM
NYC Voter from Harlem

I learned at my mother's knee that it's always appropriate to sign any petition needed for getting someone into the election. Her thinking was that potential candidates should be able to get on the ballot, and then let the voters decide. If you agree, take a moment and stop when you see someone with a clipboard bearing a green petition and you're asked if you're a registered Democrat/Repub.

Jul. 10 2013 11:11 AM
JMD from Westchester

I would sign a petition for him to fade into obscurity.

Jul. 10 2013 11:10 AM

Why can we find better people to run?
I wish these guys would say my private life is not your business. Next question.
But really why is it that only second rate lawyers (liars by trade) run for office

Jul. 10 2013 10:52 AM