News on the Affordable Healthcare Act

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

The Obama administration announced a delay in the provision requiring larger businesses to cover their employees under Obamacare, but many other parts of the plan are moving forward. Kate Nocera, BuzzFeed reporter, talks about the latest on the healthcare reform package, and her reporting on the Freelancers Union position.

Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

Here is an amazing story about a small business that Barry wants to steamroll into his vision of fairness with mandates.

Jul. 09 2013 08:46 PM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

"I am tired of (Obama's) intransigence being portrayed as (leadership)."

More lawlessnes ("I'll only enforce the laws that I like.) by the Lame Duck.

Jul. 09 2013 07:29 PM

I am tired of GOP intransigence being portrayed as patriotism. When are the people dis-served by their standard operating procedure of putting party over the people going to be exposed for what it is? When is the strategy of getting rich off the commonweal going to be ended?

Jul. 09 2013 11:12 AM
Joyce from NYC

So, Joe from nearby
@Joyce from NYC-
Thanks so much for all the FoxNews talking points. Think for yourself much?

What is your understanding on how a law works?

Jul. 09 2013 11:01 AM

@AG from Canada - I visited Toronto this past April and I was so impressed with the amount of small businesses that exist in that city. Its obvious to me that the city (and province of Ontario I guess) encourages small business development and doesn't burden these businesses with regulation, fees and penalties. NYC government should take notice.

Jul. 09 2013 10:54 AM
Sredni Vashtar from the Shed Out Back

@Martin Chuzzlewit Do you sit at your computer waiting to pounce and comment (or rather make some kind of snide anti-Democrat remark)? This isn't a race. (I'm not a Democrat, BTW, just find your commenting behaviour juvenile and unhelpful.)

Jul. 09 2013 10:51 AM
Sredni Vashtar from the Shed Out Back

@Joyce Wasn't it Bush 43 who became notorious for signing statements (i.e., signing legislation but explicitly stating he would not enforce it or inserting other unilateral caveats)?

Jul. 09 2013 10:47 AM
Sredni Vashtar from the Shed Out Back

@jgarbuz It was my understanding that most physicians ARE "self-employed businessmen" - usu in the form of private partnerships. The staff/employee model does exist, but I wouldn't call it as common as to merit your remark. Also, what does how physicians are employed have to do w/ this discussion? How would it affect this discussion?

As for "too much government intervention," government WILL ALWAYS BE INVOLVED in healthcare, for a variety of reasons too complicated to get into here, but I'll list some of the most important: asymmetric information, market failure, licensure, FDA, etc. etc. etc.

Become more informed before resorting to your usual right-leaning talking points, please.

Jul. 09 2013 10:44 AM
AG from Canada

As a native New Yorker in Canada, its disheartening to see small businesses struggle. A single payer system, as we have here in Canada - and really it just covers the basics, relieves this burden from the business owner and the employee - and eliminates the profit mongering by big business. The problem seems to be US citizens have a problem paying higher taxes into a system that benefits all instead of just themselves. Hopefully you will get there soon.

Jul. 09 2013 10:36 AM
Joe from nearby

@Joyce from NYC-
Thanks so much for all the FoxNews talking points. Think for yourself much?

@Julia Wagner from Highland Park, NJ-
That's one reason I don't shop at Walmart- they try to shift their labor costs onto the rest of us, in order to gain an unfair advantage over other retailers.

Jul. 09 2013 10:35 AM
Betsy Kaufman from NYC

brian - could you do a segment on self-employed workers? I am self-employed & a member of AIAG, an organization for graphic artists where I have been able to get health insurance for years. I just received notification that my insurance will end as of 12/31/13. I feel like I'm in the dark. I know many others who feel the same way. thanks.

Jul. 09 2013 10:33 AM
halloran

Oh, Marty @chuzzleworth. If you really believe that Obama has an "anti-business, anti-national defense, anti-energy-independence agenda" there's nowhere on earth you'd be happy or satisfied since, compared to the U.S. under Obama, the rest of the developed world is run on far-left socialist principles.

Of course, maybe the problem is just Obama; you wouldn't object to the same pro-business, pro-military and pro-energy supplier policies if a Repub were in the Whitehouse. In the same way that a Repub-proposed national health care plan somehow became a communist intrusive with a Democrat in the WH.

Makes one wonder.... Do such comments represent shocking ignorance, idle trollery or a bias so strong that any sense of reality escapes the speaker?

Jul. 09 2013 10:29 AM
Joyce from NYC

And --- do we now have a dictator???

Congress passes a LAW.

The President signs it

it is the LAW -- where does Obama come off saying he will not impliment it until he is ready ???????

Jul. 09 2013 10:27 AM
Julia Wagner from Highland Park, NJ

I understand that Walmart has started hiring only temporary employees in order to avoid paying health insurance.

Jul. 09 2013 10:27 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

It should all go back to the system where doctors are self-employed businessmen, but have to spend a lot of time in charity hospitals for the indigent. This business of too much government intervention in the health industry, and having businesses become health insurance providers is all out of whack! Go back to free enterprise + charity.

Jul. 09 2013 10:25 AM
Joyce from NYC

Now we get the truth

The President an Congress wave their arms an said "This will be good."

BUT THEY MAE NO EFFERT TO EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW IT WOULD WORK!!!!

Jul. 09 2013 10:24 AM
hking

Does the insurance company have to raise the premium 16% to 20% due to accepting those with preexisting conditions? It was my understanding that insurance companies were doing quite well. Are they trying to maintain their current margins?
When we talk about health care, the conversation always ends up being about insurance coverage.
I was raised with free health care under the Choctaw Nation government. Health coverage does not have to include an insurance company.

Jul. 09 2013 10:23 AM
Dan

Brian- How about someone other than a conservative Republican Obamahater caller to balance the discussion a bit? They're trying to ring an alarm over something that is actually good.

How about a caller from Massachusetts, where 'Romneycare' (the original model) is very popular?

Jul. 09 2013 10:22 AM
C.E. Connelly from Manhattan

Please have someone who claims that the law imposes complications and paperwork on small businesses explain what specifically they are talking about. This is a claim that has been made over and over and never explained or detailed.

Jul. 09 2013 10:22 AM
Alejandro from Brooklyn

I think I am beginning to understand how many Republicans felt after years of President Bush. I am so disappointed with President Obama I am regretting my last vote - maybe more so than with the last administration, but I guess having sat out in NY is meaningless anyway.

Jul. 09 2013 10:20 AM
Joe from nearby

I have no sympathy for owners who cry about the sky falling down, when in reality they could absorb the cost very easily by cutting back from 4 vacation homes to 3 for themselves. I mean who are these guys kidding.

The trouble here is greed, pure and simple. The ACA will keep them from earning obscene profits and force them only to earn reasonable profits. Oh dear, what a crisis!

Jul. 09 2013 10:19 AM

"we see no evidence we will see this happen"....ummm

Jul. 09 2013 10:19 AM
Robert from NYC

Stop with the tax complaining. Isn't cheaper to pay a few bucks more in tax and get health insurance coverage than to pay individually thousands to the health insurance companies?!! Doesn't anybody get it! Taxes are not necessarily bad if you're paying less for something by way of taxes than paying directly much larger amounts to companies who pay exorbitant salaries to their CEOs?

Jul. 09 2013 10:16 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

"....Obamacare may be falling apart."

BRAVO !!!
May his whole bizarre agenda fall apart.... his anti-business, anti-national defense, anti-energy-independence agenda fall to pieces.

Jul. 09 2013 10:12 AM
Jane from Manhattan

In my mind, this is all about skating past the midterms without any of the bad that comes along with this bill being in the news -- those of us without insurance be damned.

Jul. 09 2013 10:11 AM